Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I respect everyone's right to use whatever software they choose, and I have my reasons for using Free Software.

You should absolutely use whatever software you wish.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
I respect everyone's right to use whatever software they choose, and I have my reasons for using Free Software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

True. Still why re-invent the wheel every time? Scrivener does the job well and while not free isn't overly expensive either.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
arjaybe

Quote:

True. Still why re-invent the wheel every time? Scrivener does the job well and while not free isn't overly expensive either.

Not sure how I ended up double posting. sigh.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:11 PM   #19
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
To show solidarity with the immensely admirable people who create Free Software, I use it to create my free books.
arjaybe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:07 AM   #20
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
There's a lot to like about Scrivener, but it's lack (the last time I looked) of a styles-based editor stops me from actually using it. That lack of style information makes me think the EPUBs it creates would be much less useful than what I can get out of my LibreOffice exports.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2016, 06:30 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Not sure how I ended up double posting. sigh.

You did this.

You did this.

Next question!!!

(I absolutely love Scrivener.)
Old 06-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You did this.

You did this.

Next question!!!

(I absolutely love Scrivener.)
I like it too. YWriter is similar in some ways Ywriter but I don't think it compiles epubs etc. Still it is a free alternative.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #23
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I like it too. YWriter is similar in some ways Ywriter but I don't think it compiles epubs etc. Still it is a free alternative.
It looks like freeware. I don't trust freeware.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, this is freeware, but it's from an established and respected author who also happens to be a programmer.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Calibre, Sigil and others here are Free (most will not refuse a donation )
I would not reject those, just because they were free

Reputable and/or Open Source (so you can examine the code) is a Very good policy.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #26
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre, Sigil and others here are Free (most will not refuse a donation )
I would not reject those, just because they were free

Reputable and/or Open Source (so you can examine the code) is a Very good policy.
As a rule, I don't think freeware is open, is it?
Old 06-23-2016, 10:16 PM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As a rule, I don't think freeware is open, is it?
Some is and some isn't. Both Calibre and Sigil are from what I understand. Not sure if ywriter is but it might be.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #28
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Some is and some isn't. Both Calibre and Sigil are from what I understand. Not sure if ywriter is but it might be.
I see the confusion. I differentiate between Free Software and freeware. To me, freeware is that closed software that they let you use for free, often temporarily, and sometimes with malware. Free Software has a Free Software license. Go ahead, call me picky.-)
Old 06-24-2016, 01:43 AM   #29
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
arjaybe, my turn to be picky . I believe the way you using the phrase "Free Software" suggests you are referring to software promoted by the Free Software Foundation, but this is quite restrictive. (And not entirely helpful.)

There is a lot of free software that is not open source at all, and there is a lot of open source software that does not follow the policies of the FSF.

Note, too, that there exists open source software that is not free. In software development it is common to have to pay a licence fee to gain access to the source code to libraries that I want to use. (Such products are, obviously, not FSF or OSS software products, but are still "open" in the sense that anyone willing to pay the fee can read and modify the source within the licence imposed constraints. I will not develop using third partly software unless I have access to the source, but I do not limit myself to FSF or OSS.)

But it is fair and appropriate to be cautious of free software - whether or not it is open source! (In fact, it is fair and appropriate to be cautious of non-free software too - since paying money is no guarantee of satisfaction.)

Not everyone has the expertise to assess the source, or, even when we do, do not have the time to study in detail the source code for all the software we want to use. So even if a product is open source and free you need to be comfortable with the provenance before deciding to use it. For most people that means staying with products or developers that are fairly well known and widely used.

My conclusion is that making a careful assessment of the provenance of a product is of more use to most people than whether a product is open source.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #30
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
arjaybe, my turn to be picky . I believe the way you using the phrase "Free Software" suggests you are referring to software promoted by the Free Software Foundation, but this is quite restrictive. (And not entirely helpful.)

There is a lot of free software that is not open source at all, and there is a lot of open source software that does not follow the policies of the FSF.

Note, too, that there exists open source software that is not free. In software development it is common to have to pay a licence fee to gain access to the source code to libraries that I want to use. (Such products are, obviously, not FSF or OSS software products, but are still "open" in the sense that anyone willing to pay the fee can read and modify the source within the licence imposed constraints. I will not develop using third partly software unless I have access to the source, but I do not limit myself to FSF or OSS.)

But it is fair and appropriate to be cautious of free software - whether or not it is open source! (In fact, it is fair and appropriate to be cautious of non-free software too - since paying money is no guarantee of satisfaction.)

Not everyone has the expertise to assess the source, or, even when we do, do not have the time to study in detail the source code for all the software we want to use. So even if a product is open source and free you need to be comfortable with the provenance before deciding to use it. For most people that means staying with products or developers that are fairly well known and widely used.

My conclusion is that making a careful assessment of the provenance of a product is of more use to most people than whether a product is open source.
I prefer to keep it simple. I don't like to see free, and to a lesser extent open source, software confused with freeware. The freeware universe is tainted with bad software downloaded by gullible (usually Windows) users. Some freeware might be good software written by honorable people, but a lot of it is created for bad purposes. So I don't like to see people confuse it with the good stuff. I don't want people thinking of nagware and rootkits when I tell them about Calibre or LibreOffice. Therefore, there has to be a distinction from freeware. A Free Software, and to a lesser extent open source, license clearly attached to the software is a necessary part of that distinction.

When I capitalize Free Software it's not to limit it to the FSF, it's to suggest that the reader not confuse it with freeware. If you don't capitalize Free, then the first thing people think of is money. I hope that by capitalizing I can create the opportunity to think of freedom, or at least to stop and think.