Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #61
tlo07
tlo07 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I just got the KF today after being a Nook fan since the original Nook was released. The only thing I would change is to add a SD card slot (If you are travelling and want to load up a bunch of movies 8 gb can get filled in a hurry) and maybe bump up the ram to 1 gb. Other than that, its perfect the way it is!
tlo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #62
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Actually, I'm waiting for a 7" iPad :-)

Not that I did not love my KFire, but having iPad and iPod touch already, I guess it does make sense not to have too many different systems, in order not to have to buy software twice.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #63
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
No one is more surprised than I to say that I like the Fire as is, with perhaps one wish for Bluetooth. Other than that, it does everything as advertised -- no more, no less. For those wanting external storage, GPS, etc., go buy a Galaxy Tab or something similar. The best feature of the Fire is its $200 price tag.

For those lamenting over the lack of all the extras listed in this thread I have one question. Would you be willing to spend an extra $100-$200 and still be locked into Amazon? Why? In the same price range there are scores of tablets available with all the bells and whistles, giving you access to all your preferred content providers without having to jump through any hoops.

I love my Fire but I love my Xoom more -- it does all the heavy lifting.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #64
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
For those lamenting over the lack of all the extras listed in this thread I have one question. Would you be willing to spend an extra $100-$200 and still be locked into Amazon? Why? In the same price range there are scores of tablets available with all the bells and whistles, giving you access to all your preferred content providers without having to jump through any hoops.
Yes, because it makes sense for me. I do surveys, and the best payment is Amazon gift cards. In some instances, it's the ONLY form of incentive. I rack up like $100 in Amazon gift cards every month because of it.

It is almost like everything for me is free. I have $100+ sitting in my account for when I want to check out the latest books to hit the Kindle Store, I have credit to pay for my textbooks which are in the textbook section, if I hear/like a song, I can buy it then and there in the Amazon MP3 shop, I can watch/own all the latest TV shows, movie releases, and I can buy every application in the top 100 if I really wanted to. On the plus side, I always have a place to buy toilet paper in bulk. What's NOT to love about the Amazon ecosystem and having a fat wallet of FREE cash to spend in it? Five minutes of my time gets me something nice! The $3.99 soundtrack deal right now is a sweet steal too!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #65
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yes, because it makes sense for me. I do surveys, and the best payment is Amazon gift cards. In some instances, it's the ONLY form of incentive. I rack up like $100 in Amazon gift cards every month because of it.

It is almost like everything for me is free. I have $100+ sitting in my account for when I want to check out the latest books to hit the Kindle Store, I have credit to pay for my textbooks which are in the textbook section, if I hear/like a song, I can buy it then and there in the Amazon MP3 shop, I can watch/own all the latest TV shows, movie releases, and I can buy every application in the top 100 if I really wanted to. On the plus side, I always have a place to buy toilet paper in bulk. What's NOT to love about the Amazon ecosystem and having a fat wallet of FREE cash to spend in it? Five minutes of my time gets me something nice! The $3.99 soundtrack deal right now is a sweet steal too!
But Amazon-exclusive hardware is not necessary to take advantage of the Amazon ecosystem. That's my point. I can do all you describe with my Xoom. For the same reason I would not drop $500-$600 to be tethered to Apple either.
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #66
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
But Amazon-exclusive hardware is not necessary to take advantage of the Amazon ecosystem. That's my point. I can do all you describe with my Xoom. For the same reason I would not drop $500-$600 to be tethered to Apple either.
You can't take advantage of Amazon On Demand with it though, can you?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:15 AM   #67
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
I can watch Amazon Instant Videos using the browser on my Android tablets (7" Acer Iconia A100 and 10" Acer Iconia A500). I can watch other online videos as well. And I can connect the tablet to TV with HDMI cable and watch videos on the big screen.

I bought my tablets during the mega-sales in December. The 7" tablet was $189 and the 10" was $230. They both run Honeycomb (Ice Cream Sandwich coming soon) and have microSD card, HDMI, two cameras, bluetooth, GPS, and micro USB. The 7" has 8GB internal storage; the 10" has 32GB. I have access to Android Market and Amazon App Store.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #68
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
I most certainly can and do. And, like the poster above, I can stream Amazon's VOD on a big screen TV from my Xoom via HDMI and have access to both the Android Market and the Appstore. And I've also got the added advantage of Bluetooth, GPS, Front & Rear Cameras, 32GB MicroSD (+32 internal = 64GB total) and can run Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.x). Not to mention having 4G and not being limited to wifi-only.

Last edited by Skydog; 02-24-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #69
Jessica Lares
Wizard

I meant "can you download Amazon On Demand stuff to your device?"
Old 02-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #70
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Both of the Acer tablets are screaming steals in my opinion and must be given consideration as top dogs in their price range.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #71
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Both of the Acer tablets are screaming steals in my opinion and must be given consideration as top dogs in their price range.
I'm very happy with both Acer tablets. The 7" Acer Iconia A100 is priced at $229 in today's Fry's Electronics ad. It looks like it may be an in-store only item. It currently runs Android 3.2 (Honeycomb); Acer has announced 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is coming in April. It has an NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2 dual-core mobile processor, 1GB memory, 1024 x 600 TFT display, 8GB internal storage, microSD card (32GB), HDMI out, two cameras, bluetooth, GPS, and micro USB.

The complaint I've read most frequently about the A100 is that there is a screen quality issue when held at a certain angle. I have to agree with that, but it's been no problem for me because I just flip the tablet if there's any loss of clarity at one angle. The touchscreen doesn't seem to be as accurate/responsive as my A500, but I've read that complaint about other 7" tablets as well. Also, the battery doesn't have a lot of capacity so it doesn't hold a charge as long as the A500.

The 10.1" Acer Iconia A500 has recently been replaced by the A200, but there may be some A500's still being sold.

I use both tablets for movie-watching and streaming music (love the TuneIn Radio app!). I use the smaller A100 as a portable music device (have all my music on a 32GB microSD card and listen in the car). I do use the larger A500 more often when connecting to TV to watch videos. I use the smaller A100 more often for ereading, although I still prefer my e-ink Kindle for that. I browse the internet using both tablets, but it is a better experience on the A500's larger screen.

As I've said before, I think the Kindle Fire is a great device. I seriously considered buying one myself. But if it doesn't quite meet your needs, take a look at the other tablets out there. There are some good deals. In a few more months, there are going to be fantastic new offerings too.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 02-24-2012 at 03:43 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #72
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
I meant "can you download Amazon On Demand stuff to your device?"
That I don't know as I have rarely rented/downloaded a movie and that has been only from the Android Market -- I prefer streaming from Amazon and side-load my own movies for viewing offline on the 10" Xoom. I suspect that whatever steps are required for a PC/Mac would also apply to a tablet. And since any other tablet would be a competitor to Amazon's hardware it may not be as easy, if not impossible. Perhaps others here can provide more information. If you visit Amazon's website there will be detailed info regarding renting vs. streaming and other devices.

Admittedly, with my Xoom and Fire I have the best of both worlds.

I should add -- neither tablet will ever replace my e-ink Kindle for reading!

Last edited by Skydog; 02-24-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #73
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
While I think the Fire is a great device, I'm waiting for one with a camera. Anyone else waiting?
Singing while dancing... I got my cammm-ruh! I got my cammm-ruh!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #74
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
Singing while dancing... I got my cammm-ruh! I got my cammm-ruh!
I already bought apps to side load JUST to use with it.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #75
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Darn it, in this age of instant gratification, when I ordered my kindle hd yesterday I expected it to be here yesterday if not sooner! I am also collecting apps to load on my new toy when it gets here, never mind that I will be much older and more decrepit when it finally arrives.

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote