Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
WHAT!?!? Don't cross Kami off, she's good I swear! Just give her a chapter, it's really quite different! Don't feel that way!
heh, sorry to disappoint you. One chapter would be fine, but the problem would be when the next 16 or however many seemed exactly the same. I can deal with some romance in a book, but I can't really deal with a romance book. I'm sure it's good and the huge following is justified, just not to my tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Roald Dahl has some in ebook. I really enjoyed 'The Witches.'
This is a good call. I love Roald Dahl. His books are out as ebooks now? He's a marvelous author, and I'm not sure I've ever gotten to "The Witches." Thanks!
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
heh, sorry to disappoint you. One chapter would be fine, but the problem would be when the next 16 or however many seemed exactly the same. I can deal with some romance in a book, but I can't really deal with a romance book. I'm sure it's good and the huge following is justified, just not to my tastes.
Thank you! It's not a huge sickly romance-the idea of the book is pretty great, real original.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #18
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
This is a good call. I love Roald Dahl. His books are out as ebooks now? He's a marvelous author, and I'm not sure I've ever gotten to "The Witches." Thanks!
Read My Uncle Oswald?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #19
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Cory Doctorow's Little Brother and For The Win are both YA novels available as free ebooks; my 14-year-old liked them both very much.

Both are "young geeks take on the bureaucracy" books; Little Brother is political & FTW is corporate. Little Brother's won a number of awards; FTW's been nominated for at least one. They're both excellent, fun reads.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #20
joshtremino
joshtremino began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hunger Games is an awesome YA novel

I'd definitely recommend Hunger Games. It's a great book, dark, violent, and surprisingly romantic.
joshtremino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #21
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Read My Uncle Oswald?
You know, I haven't. I've read Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. This thread is really showing me how I haven't even come close to exhausting Roald's brilliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Cory Doctorow's Little Brother and For The Win are both YA novels available as free ebooks; my 14-year-old liked them both very much.

Both are "young geeks take on the bureaucracy" books; Little Brother is political & FTW is corporate. Little Brother's won a number of awards; FTW's been nominated for at least one. They're both excellent, fun reads.
Grabbed them both. Thanks so much. Phew! I should be set with reading material for a while now. Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtremino View Post
I'd definitely recommend Hunger Games. It's a great book, dark, violent, and surprisingly romantic.
Thumbs up to this. I absolutely loved this one. Will you be lining up for Mockingjay in a couple of weeks? I'm excited to see if it gets crazy at all. I'm also looking forward to the movie too. Thanks for your suggestion!
Old 08-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I'd also recommend the "A Hat Full of Sky" by Terry Pratchett.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #23
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Have you read the Wizard of Oz series? There is more than just that one book the movie is based on. I have it on my TBR list and am looking forward to exploring what appears to be quite a rich fantasy world. Other YA books in the e-library include the Narnia series
and the Anne of Green Gables series.

If you are exploring Pratchett's YA don't forget 'Only You Can Save Mankind' and the rest of the Johnny Maxwell books
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #24
Pickering
Connoisseur
Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
Since you mentioned the Hunger Games, you should check out The Maze Runner by James Dashner. Although I preferred the Hunger Games, this book deals with similar themes (futuristic dystopia where children are forced to live in a dangerous environment) and was an easy/enjoyable read.
Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #25
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
I'd also recommend the "A Hat Full of Sky" by Terry Pratchett.
I'll check it out. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Have you read the Wizard of Oz series? There is more than just that one book the movie is based on. I have it on my TBR list and am looking forward to exploring what appears to be quite a rich fantasy world. Other YA books in the e-library include the Narnia series
and the Anne of Green Gables series.

If you are exploring Pratchett's YA don't forget 'Only You Can Save Mankind' and the rest of the Johnny Maxwell books
Narnia series is also great. Definitely a classic. I'm glad it's finally getting the credit it deserves with these new movies. I didn't know there were other Wizard of Oz stories. I'm not even sure I knew it was a book to begin with. I'll have to get to the bottom of this. Google Ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickering View Post
Since you mentioned the Hunger Games, you should check out The Maze Runner by James Dashner. Although I preferred the Hunger Games, this book deals with similar themes (futuristic dystopia where children are forced to live in a dangerous environment) and was an easy/enjoyable read.
I loved Maze Runner also. Such a great book. The Grievers...pretty strange stuff. It is pretty similar to Hunger Games. Must be something about that kind of gladiator/game concept that draws people in. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #26
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #27
kazzyj
kazzyj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Johns Marsden's Tomorrow series - starts with Tomorrow When the War Began.

It's not a new series at all, and I have no idea if it's available as an e-book.
The recent movie was a great translation of the first book in the series.

Kaz
kazzyj is offline   Reply With Quote