Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #151
ShermanDorn
ShermanDorn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Question Bug report (maybe import-related)

BookCreator's book been wonderful, but I had a few bugs with it this morning (screenshots attached). I used the Import tool to grab the files, used buttons and the auto-chapter identifier to change styles, saved, and then had the error upon trying to create the LRF. Apart from the error message, there was the temporarily-created html file created and open in another Word window. (Word 2003)

When I created a fresh document and used cut-and-paste, the process worked beautifully. So there may be a bug with Import.

The other possibility is that I changed the font -- I don't remember if I changed the font with a Format Font command or changed it inside the styles. It may have been inside the styles, so that may have screwed it up.

And if so, could you do us a favor and give us a chance to change the default fonts?? They're set to Arial, a sans-serif font, and many of us FAR prefer serif fonts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BookCreator error Jan 1 2009.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	20252   Click image for larger version

Name:	BookCreator debug screen Jan 1 2009.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	20253  

Last edited by ShermanDorn; 01-01-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: to add thread subscription
ShermanDorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #152
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@ShermanDorn
Thank you for the detailed report. Pictures are worth a 1000 words.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #153
philippd
Connoisseur
philippd doesn't litterphilippd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
this is a great tool. I use it to create ePub files.

But I've got one question: Is ist possibile to save to epub that text is displayed justified?

Its always aligned left after the export

Thank you!
Philipp
philippd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #154
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippd View Post
But I've got one question: Is ist possibile to save to epub that text is displayed justified?
Most probably it is a problem of the ePUB readers. See this thread.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #155
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippd View Post

Its always aligned left after the export
Yes jellby is correct, it is a known issue that ePUB readers do not view ePUBs with justified text. I don't know if this is an Adobe solution issue or part of the ePUB spec.

=X=
Old 01-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #156
stranjer
n00b
stranjer began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
this is a great little program..thanks very much for that

stranjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #157
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranjer View Post
this is a great little program..thanks very much for that

Great I'm glad you find the tool useful.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #158
=X=
Wizard

New version of BookCreator v 2.6

New version updated see (link)for details.

Can a moderator please update this thread to reflect the new version.

Thank you,
=X=

<<<< SNIP From link above >>>>
New version of BookCreator v2.6
- Better support for ePUB
- Better support for IMP* (no longer requires eBookUtils, now uses ePublisher directly!)
- Multiple workflow for preserving existing text formats when running Word Wrap fix.
o Can now tag bold and italic text prior to running word wrap fix. Then “Format Tagged Text” to restore
o Can run Word wrap macro that preserves the original
- Various bug fixes
*Many thanks to Nick(nrapollo) for his IMP support and especially his word2imp.pl script that showed me how I can call ePublisher directly form Word. Also thanks to mjh215 for his excellent work on testing the IMP features.

Last edited by =X=; 01-10-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Added link (added feature)
Old 01-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #159
=X=
Wizard

New version 2.6.1, it seems in redesigning the IMP format, I broke the rest of the formats. That issue is now resolved.

=X=
Old 01-13-2009, 05:44 AM   #160
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Device: eBookwise 1150 reader, Samsung E60 reader, SAMSUNG N150 netbook
Congratulations for your work,

I have been able do use this version; however, after the .IMP file has been created, Word 2007 hangs then restarts - reason unknown.

Also, how does one obtain full justification of the text? Apparently, the problem does not appear only in the ePub format.

Last edited by Roberts324; 01-13-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Roberts324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #161
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts324 View Post
I have been able do use this version; however, after the .IMP file has been created, Word 2007 hangs then restarts - reason unknown.
Yes apparently the IMP building process has issues with Office 2007. I'm looking into resolving this but what's complicating the process is the fact that I don't have 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts324 View Post
Also, how does one obtain full justification of the text? Apparently, the problem does not appear only in the ePub format.
Oh justification works. The default style "_1 Text" does not justify the text, since I don't like the way word processors justify. (I want true justification or nothing)

To get justification to work change the paragraph aligment on the "_1 Text" style. I don't know how to do this on 2007. but on 2003 do as follows:

1) Right click on the "_1 Text" style, a menu should appear
2) Select the "Modify..." menu, a dialog should appear
3) Change the paragraph alignment to "justify" and save

=X=
Old 01-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #162
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes apparently the IMP building process has issues with Office 2007. I'm looking into resolving this but what's complicating the process is the fact that I don't have 2007.
This is a consistent behaviour, though. Nothing serious indeed, since Word gracefully restarts after hanging.

Quote:
Oh justification works. The default style "_1 Text" does not justify the text, since I don't like the way word processors justify. (I want true justification or nothing)

To get justification to work change the paragraph aligment on the "_1 Text" style. I don't know how to do this on 2007. but on 2003 do as follows:

1) Right click on the "_1 Text" style, a menu should appear
2) Select the "Modify..." menu, a dialog should appear
3) Change the paragraph alignment to "justify" and save

=X=
I checked that justification indeed works. However, you seem to imply that when you import a text, it automagically acquires the default _1 Text style. It is not so on my system; after import, none of the special Bookcreator styles that are visible in the right column seem to be in use. After clicking on "Book author" or "Book title", the corresponding styles get used. For paragraphs, you either have to apply the _1 Text to all of them - a tedious task at best for a long book - or to modify "style options" so the styles really used in the document appear, find the "normal style" for the document you imported, and modify it to your taste - which takes much less time. Then you can proceed and build the IMP file.

The result is satisfying, and the justification is ok at 45 characters per line, using Palatino and no hyphenation. No "rivers" accross the screen.

I have inserted a cover image at the front of the text, followed by a page break; the cover appears correctly in the IMP file.

I have tested with headers at the top of the page, but this won't work. Running headers would be a treat, though...

So I feel that Bookcreator is quite usable and gives good results, as compared to BD. Different philosophy, I daresay.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #163
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Roberts324;

It is building the IMP for you even though it crashes?

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #164
Roberts324
Mad translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Roberts324;

It is building the IMP for you even though it crashes?

-MJ
Yes, definitely. And I feel that's what counts. That "X" should be better known!

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #165
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Roberts324; I agree, X deserves alot of credit for BC...

Just to establish, you are using Word 2007 with which OS? (I'm using Word 2007 as well, which does crash on building imps, but there have been some other glitches that I've been looking to clear up)

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote