Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #61
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Hunh?
How soon we forget where "too big to fail" originated!

But Obama could have done better with his economic advisers. He didn't have to continue the Bush policies.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #62
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Guys, please return to the topic discussion of "whether the Greek scientist Archimedes really set fire to an invading Roman fleet using only mirrors and the reflected rays of the sun" or other episodes of the mythbuster programs.

US politics is not the topic of this thread nor should it be.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Alexander / MR Mod
Opps! OK.

I think it's a great thing Obama's doing something to spur interest in science and skepticism!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #63
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Like Tom Swift's Electric Rifle?
That wasn't real?

Maybe they should have had Mythbusters when I was a kid!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #64
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
... she said shockingly.
Ohhhhhh. Now my head hurts!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #65
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
I thought so too, but I read somewhere that some people think that "Mythbusters" is dragging Science down with their "Let's blow it up!" schtick.
Heh. Heathens. Mythbusters is all about showing how fun science can be... including going all out and doing what it takes to make a myth actually work. And yes, sometimes that involves blowing stuff up real good.

But it's best at illustrating how scientific method (they may be theatrical, but they're doing pure science there) can answer all those mythological scenarios.

Anyone who thinks it's just about blowing stuff up doesn't actually watch the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Maybe is the cynic in me, but I'll bet they picked the most popular theme they had on record and re-did it just for the prez. After all, they’ve already done two shows on it, it’s gotta be a winner.
Yeah, I can see that (tho I didn't know that one was so popular). It could also be a nod to his alternative energy policy... we are talking about a solar heating process, after all.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-21-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #66
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I thought so too, but I read somewhere that some people think that "Mythbusters" is dragging Science down with their "Let's blow it up!" schtick.
Well, it's not TV, but if you have an MP3 player, The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe is a weekly podcast that you can download for free at their website here.

It is also available for free at iTunes.

Kindles can play MP3 files, but you'd need computer access to transfer the file.

In my ever-so-humble opinion, The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe is as good as it gets. It's a fun show, and they really dismantle the woo-woo that's so rampant in the world today. Plus they have interviews each week with scientists, philosophers, and other leading lights of the skeptical movement ... and nothing gets blown up except the myths.

Perhaps Obama should appear on an episode of that podcast to boost their visibility!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #67
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #68
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/sci...ce-any-f,2897/
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #69
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
But it's best at illustrating how scientific method (they may be theatrical, but they're doing pure science there) can answer all those mythological scenarios.
Sometimes I think they come to flawed conclusions from their experiments, or have faulty experiments, but most often I think they do it intentionally exactly for the reason you state above - to demonstrate scientific method. They want you to get involved and tell them every way their experiments were wrong and their conclusions were wrong, and this is why they often do myths more than once. They want us to test the myth (other than the "don't try this at home" stuff ), or tear their busting apart.

I love Mythbusters. I think the rocket-sled-into-compact-car was my favourite, with the exploding/rocketing hot water tank as a close second (I sleep 1 metre from our hot water tank - it's in our bedroom cupboard).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:32 AM   #70
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Well, it's not TV, but if you have an MP3 player, The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe is a weekly podcast that you can download for free at their website here.

It is also available for free at iTunes.

Kindles can play MP3 files, but you'd need computer access to transfer the file.

In my ever-so-humble opinion, The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe is as good as it gets. It's a fun show, and they really dismantle the woo-woo that's so rampant in the world today. Plus they have interviews each week with scientists, philosophers, and other leading lights of the skeptical movement ... and nothing gets blown up except the myths.

Perhaps Obama should appear on an episode of that podcast to boost their visibility!
Thanks Tom!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #71
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I love Mythbusters. I think the rocket-sled-into-compact-car was my favourite, with the exploding/rocketing hot water tank as a close second (I sleep 1 metre from our hot water tank - it's in our bedroom cupboard).
I wish they'd tackle cellphone myths next, like the one they already did that busted the idea that a cellphone could ignite a gas pump. Unfortunately, the biggest myths (like cellphone proximity causes brain cancer) would be beyond their ability to test. But they could test the speaking-while-driving and texting-while-driving reaction time issues.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #72
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I wish they'd tackle cellphone myths next, like the one they already did that busted the idea that a cellphone could ignite a gas pump. Unfortunately, the biggest myths (like cellphone proximity causes brain cancer) would be beyond their ability to test. But they could test the speaking-while-driving and texting-while-driving reaction time issues.
I have vague memories of them doing a mobile-phone-driving myth...or maybe that was a drinking-and-driving myth...or maybe I was just drunk (but it's okay, because I can't/don't drive anyway ).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 AM   #73
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Has Obama opted out of politics?
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:48 AM   #74
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
Has Obama opted out of politics?

Could it be that he had a few myths of his own that needed to be busted?

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote