Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-19-2022, 12:46 PM   #46
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's actually funny. After watching the short video of the Queen and Paddington I decided to revisit a child's memory and borrowed all the Paddingtons I could from the local library. I'm still working through them (and enjoying them) but can't help but wonder what the original currency in the books was.

Too many times I read of something being five or ten pence. Knowing these were mostly written in the late 50s and 60s, I presume they would have been a shilling, or maybe half-a-crown.

Anyone out there have old printed versions and could check them?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:19 PM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDerpBro View Post
This happens with all digital/streaming media. Games, movies, TV shows and music. Sucks hearing a song on Spotify that's been changed. Its a big reason the slowly dwindling minority still love physical media.
What songs are changed on Spotify? (I don't use Spotify.)

They are likely just using singles or radio versions of songs, rather than Spotify making any actual changes.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2022, 04:43 PM   #48
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Authors don't usually write books for a lowest common denominator or the least educated that can read. Publishers are just being stupid editing old titles like they do. They brought out heavily revised Famous Five and had to revert most of the changes. There are no shortage of modern books if people don't want to read the older ones, but it's a kind of cultural vandalism to edit (especially silently) and re-issue old material.
I heartily agree!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #49
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What songs are changed on Spotify? (I don't use Spotify.)

They are likely just using singles or radio versions of songs, rather than Spotify making any actual changes.
The radio station I listen to does additional censorship of songs beyond the 'radio edits.' It's kind of hilarious that they play a song that's explicitly about drug addiction and yet edit out references to drugs.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:44 PM   #50
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
The radio station I listen to does additional censorship of songs beyond the 'radio edits.' It's kind of hilarious that they play a song that's explicitly about drug addiction and yet edit out references to drugs.
Thank your (and our) legal system for that. It is simpler to avoid issues, by removing offensive content.

FWIW in the US you can be sued over almost anything. They might not win, but you MUST defend yourself or they do by default. Many just roll over and save the $$.

I grew up reading my Grandfathers editions (early 19xx) of Mark Twain books and others. It is insane to edit out history. Leave it alone AND LEARN what not to do.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2022, 09:52 PM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sounds like you should find a different radio station.

Sirius hasn't edited anything that I've noticed on the stations I listen to (First Wave, The Bridge and Yacht Rock Radio).
Old 06-19-2022, 10:06 PM   #52
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Sounds like you should find a different radio station.

Sirius hasn't edited anything that I've noticed on the stations I listen to (First Wave, The Bridge and Yacht Rock Radio).
Alas, my previous favourite station flipped formats about a year ago.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:37 AM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Alas, my previous favourite station flipped formats about a year ago.
I had a favorite station I listened to for decades (KROQ in Los Angeles). They didn't change format, but I aged out of it and found myself hating all the current music they played. On the other hand, the stations on Sirius don't change and I find myself getting tired of the music they play after a while.

Not that that's here nor there on book versions.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:23 PM   #54
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
FWIW I’ve seen this in strictly physical books as well. I have a copy of Mark Fabi’s Wrym, a friend of mine wanted to give me an ebook version (none exist AFAIK) so he digitized his copy (destroying the physical book after) yet the two are not the same by any means. I’ve not read the created digital in full, the overarching plot is the same but the prose is quite different. My friend insists he didn’t do more than clean up typos and make sure his physical copy (while it existed) matched the ebook.

If any cares enough to ask I can provide some examples.

As to the legality of this eh, the book is out of print, and I had reached out to the publisher more than once to try and prod them into releasing an ebook to no avail (they answered but it was boilerplate “we will consider this” with no release made to date AFAIK). His copy was destroyed after he converted it, and he deleted the ebook after I got it and we had a chat about the differences.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:35 AM   #55
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
FWIW I’ve seen this in strictly physical books as well.
Sure. The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew were changed well before eBooks were a thing.

Quote:
As to the legality of this eh, the book is out of print, and I had reached out to the publisher more than once to try and prod them into releasing an ebook to no avail (they answered but it was boilerplate “we will consider this” with no release made to date AFAIK). His copy was destroyed after he converted it, and he deleted the ebook after I got it and we had a chat about the differences.
You're worrying a little too much.

I have a cheesy trilogy (A Vision of Beasts by Jack Lovejoy) that hasn't been released in e-format and likely never will be. I sent them to a friend to digitize and never got the originals back. I don't know if he destroyed the paperbacks or not. But he's unlikely to read them himself (he has better taste). Having a friend that works in publishing can be a perk.

BTW: I looked up Mark Fabi. He had a second book called Red Mercury. Did you ever read that one?
Old 06-21-2022, 09:09 AM   #56
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Yeah I know it’s a bit much but better safe than sorry. I’ve not checked out Red Mercury, I might do so though
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #57
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I have a cheesy trilogy (A Vision of Beasts by Jack Lovejoy) that hasn't been released in e-format and likely never will be. I sent them to a friend to digitize and never got the originals back. I don't know if he destroyed the paperbacks or not. But he's unlikely to read them himself (he has better taste). Having a friend that works in publishing can be a perk.
Every book I have ever had digitized was destroyed in the process. What I do is by a second good condition book and use that instead of my copy.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:31 AM   #58
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Changes in text between different versions is nothing new. E.g. in "Kidnapped" by Robert Louis Stevenson, there are many changes, mostly made by the author. Including the age of the major character, who is 16, not 17, in early editions.

And then there's "The Hobbit" - a complete re-write of the end of the encounter with Gollum when "The Lord of the Rings" was taking shape.

You can enjoy the differences, or do your best to ignore them
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:52 AM   #59
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Every book I have ever had digitized was destroyed in the process. What I do is by a second good condition book and use that instead of my copy.
Apache
Maybe they cut the spine off to use a sheet feeder.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:11 AM   #60
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Maybe they cut the spine off to use a sheet feeder.
I think that is the most used, fastest and easiest way to digitize a book.
My wife is amazed at the condition of my books. They are all in great condition.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote