Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Things that are common in fiction but not in your real life

Thought this might be a fun topic. I'm not talking about things that are actually incorrect, impossible or sci-fi/fantasy, but things that could be real and seem common in general fiction but you never or hardly ever see them in your own day-to-day life.

Some random examples from my own reading:

Why do women in books wear yellow so often, regardless of their own coloring? It's not a color that looks good on just anybody. I don't notice a lot of women wearing yellow IRL.

I don't think I've ever been offered a meal consisting of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich, but people in books seem to eat this combination a lot. Maybe this is regional?

What's up with all the people in books pinching the bridge of their nose when under stress? I've never noticed anyone in real life doing this.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I don't think I've ever been offered a meal consisting of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich, but people in books seem to eat this combination a lot. Maybe this is regional?
This strikes me as a typical lunch from the 1950s/early 1960s. It would make sense in that context. I think it would be pretty tasty; the issue is that the soup would probably be canned and the cheese American, on Wonder Bread.

An example that occurs to me is when someone gets angry and throws a plate, cup, glass or sometimes china bric-a-brac against a wall or on the floor. Honestly, you get the sense that people are constantly shuffling through broken crockery.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This strikes me as a typical lunch from the 1950s/early 1960s. It would make sense in that context. I think it would be pretty tasty; the issue is that the soup would probably be canned and the cheese American, on Wonder Bread.
I don't know about regional, but I grew up on it. Still probably have it once a week or so. Some times very simple; some times gourmet-ed up a bit. I dunk the toasted cheese in the soup. Some dunk, some don't.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:52 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
This occurs more in film, but I have seen it in books too. The idea that you can hit someone on the head hard enough to knock them out instantly and afterward they always suffer no permanent harm from the concussion. In real life that would be dangerous and often fatal.

(Not quite on topic.)

Last edited by jhowell; 03-16-2021 at 12:56 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
This occurs more in film, but I have seen it in books too. The idea that you can hit someone on the head hard enough to knock them out instantly and afterward they always suffer no permanent harm from the concussion. In real life that would be dangerous and often fatal.

(Not quite on topic.)
YES!!! I read of a lot of Urban Fantasies, cozy mysteries, and romance and this is such a common thing. I have read books where a character is always ending fights with passing out from injuries or head injuries, it can get so unrealistic.
Paperbackstash is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2021, 01:05 PM   #6
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:

What's up with all the people in books pinching the bridge of their nose when under stress? I've never noticed anyone in real life doing this.

The tomato soup comment is funny. We do eat that here and it's one of my favorite comfort meals. I can't think of any time in a book I've seen it, though.

I know what you mean on pinching the nose in stress. That happened with a book I read last night. I've seen it rarely with people in real life, but it's not as common as books act like it is.

An unrealistic romantic trope or urban fantasy trope is the partner always worried the person isn't eating enough and trying to get them to eat when they're worried about them. The book last night had them doing that in front of people, all who were trying to push food at the person. This is a common fiction trope i read, but I've never seen that happen in real life. If you had a health condition, perhaps, but for the most part no one has cared if I haven't eaten enough, especially romantic partners, if I've been busy. They don't seem to think of it or see it as that important.

I'm sure I can think of more, that was the first one I thought of. Fun topic.
Paperbackstash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:43 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:

(Not quite on topic.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
YES!!! I read of a lot of Urban Fantasies, cozy mysteries, and romance and this is such a common thing. I have read books where a character is always ending fights with passing out from injuries or head injuries, it can get so unrealistic.
This makes me angry when I see it in fiction. I have a brain injury.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:23 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

(Not quite on topic.)
The old TV show Mannix had him getting knocked out 55 times by blows to the head and shot 17 times.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:56 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Wringing the hands .... I think I've only seen it done once in real life ..
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:56 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
In my family, when the kids were living at home, this was one of our comfort foods. Whether Campbell tomato soup and cheddar cheese slices or a more gourmet version when time permitted, it hit the table at least once per week.

@DiapDealer: My daughter would agree with you on dipping the sandwich into the soup. But at the age, she also thought that french fries were a device for conveying ketchup into her mouth.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #11
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Wringing the hands .... I think I've only seen it done once in real life ..
Minus a w it happens all the time in jewelers.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:37 PM   #12
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Things that are common in fiction but not in your real life
When all things are said and done you end up with the redhead having some fun.
Just don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:44 PM   #13
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:

Why do women in books wear yellow so often, regardless of their own coloring? It's not a color that looks good on just anybody. I don't notice a lot of women wearing yellow IRL.

Yep agreed, the only time I can recall seeing anybody wear yellow IRL is when it's a sports top or similar.

Quote:

As others have said, this must be a regional thing, it's one of my favourite meals, grilled cheese made with a strong cheddar and Heinz Tomato Soup, lovely.

Quote:

This must also be a regional thing as it's common this side of the pond, I know I do it and so do most of my acquaintances, thinking about it though it does seem to be more people who wear glasses, taking them off and pinching the bridge of the nose to relieve tension.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:41 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Campels Tomato and a grilled cheese were common lunch fare in the 50's in New Jersey (at least in my home)
A number of my older relatives also did the bridge pinch like they had a Sinus Headache
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:20 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Must be a regional thing. I remember eating tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwiches fairly often for lunch when I was growing up. Haven't done so in 30 or 40 years now.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote