Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 06-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #16
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Of course. Also a 286 is faster than a pentium!
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #17
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Of course. Also a 286 is faster than a pentium!
Häh?
My HTC Desire has a more powerful processor than Kindle or Kobo - Qualcom Snapdragon 1,000 Mhz - about twice the performance of Kindle or Kobo
Ram 512 MB - as much as Kindle or Kobo
32 GB SD card with 8 GB system partition - much more than Kindle or Kobo.
And the device is more than 10 years old.
Only the new Pocketbook devices and the Chinese EInk tablets are more powerful in the reader area.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #18
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Häh?
My HTC Desire has a more powerful processor than Kindle or Kobo - Qualcom Snapdragon 1,000 Mhz - about twice the performance of Kindle or Kobo
Ram 512 MB - as much as Kindle or Kobo
32 GB SD card with 8 GB system partition - much more than Kindle or Kobo.
And the device is more than 10 years old.
Only the new Pocketbook devices and the Chinese EInk tablets are more powerful in the reader area.
So, following your logic the first Apple Watch, with a 500Mhz CPU is technology from the late 90's.

Talking about digits without knowing what they mean is useless. A Pentium 4 running at 3.4Ghz is not faster than a Core i5-4590 running at 3.3Ghz.

Memory becomes faster with time. The same with storage. Having lower clock cycles per second doesn't mean much.

Freescale SoCs are enough for all reader apps. Their cpu works fine, scale frequencies better than RK33xx, and are waaaaaaaaay more power efficient.

But please believe what you want.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:44 PM   #19
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A Pentium 4 running at 3.4Ghz is not faster than a Core i5-4590 running at 3.3Ghz.
Pretty stupid comparison - roughly corresponds to the rest of the statement
Old 06-16-2020, 02:04 PM   #20
pazos
cosiñeiro

blablabla, you're not fun anymore
Old 06-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
blablabla, you're not fun anymore
In any case, I have not compared single core against multiple core.
And 1000 Mhz single core Arm 65 Nm is not slower than a 1 Ghz single core Arm 14 Nm, it doesn't need more electricity, just a little more Si.
But if you really believe that Kindle and Kobo are using the latest technology, I can't help you.
Then I'm not surprised that you used an I5 for comparison.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-16-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #22
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
In any case, I have not compared single core against multiple core.
And 1000 Mhz single core Arm 65 Nm is not slower than a 1 Ghz single core Arm 14 Nm, it doesn't need more electricity, just a little more silicon.
But if you really believe that Kindle and Kobo are using the latest technology, I can't help you.
Then I'm not surprised that you used an I5 for comparison.
Thanks for become funny again! Please keep trying to make me understand. You seem a wizard of logic gates. Please tell me more about electricity. Shall I train as much as I can to be faster than light?

Now seriously, you have a point. You need a bloated and power hungry android device because you want to do things other than reading. That's fine. But Kindles and Kobos based on iMX 7 solo/dual are enough for any ereader software, capable enough for 2 column landscape reading and are not 15 years old technology.

Now waiting your response on how stupid I am.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #23
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Now seriously, you have a point. You need a bloated and power hungry android device because you want to do things other than reading.
Nearly. However, much more powerful devices last with a battery charge as long as Kindle or Kobo.
But I'm not just reading, I do that before falling asleep with a Tolino Epos2 - a Kobo Forma with a more flexible operating system.
For something like that, these devices are sufficient.
And the Epos 2 (a Kobo device) has to be connected to the power adapter more often than a 2 Ghz Octacore with 4 GB Ram.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-16-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:52 AM   #24
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
But Kindles and Kobos based on iMX 7 solo/dual are enough for any ereader software, capable enough for 2 column landscape reading
Pls show me, how this can be performed on a PW4 (2019) or on a unmodified Tolino Epos 2 (a Kobo product)
Old 06-17-2020, 07:42 AM   #25
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Pls show me, how this can be performed on a PW4 (2019) or on a unmodified Tolino Epos 2 (a Kobo product)
Are you mixing hardware and software again, bitwise operation master?.

Seriously this thread is now a big joke. I'm sorry for contributing to it. I will stop here.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #26
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Are you mixing hardware and software again, bitwise operation master?.
No.
There are no problems with devices with more modern technology.
To write a working software for such inferior hardware in this regard should not be easy.
Boox and Likebook devices can do that by default.
Quote:
Seriously this thread is now a big joke. I'm sorry for contributing to it. I will stop here.
Oh - no answer?

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-17-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:09 AM   #27
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
This thread was about installing dictionaries on Boyue readers, don't understand how it got off track about rubbish like which gadget has a faster flogletoggle or whatever
-if you do not like e ink readers with particular reference to Boyue readers why did you even look at the section?
-the subject is surely for those like me who consider e ink the only alternative for serious reading, there are places in general subjects where that is debated so go talk about it there and read on your eye bleeding piece of rubbish I whatever while I relax with the true paper like item.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:09 AM   #28
Toodu
Enthusiast
Toodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
There is a guide video on youtube for the dictionary installation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PnALHnd_g
Toodu is offline   Reply With Quote