Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-18-2022, 03:33 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's OK.
I appreciated the intention and now it's sorted. It's amazing how many BOUGHT ebooks have been nearly unreadable due to bad formatting or in some cases zero spell check & proof reading. I report them if very bad, then fix them.
That seems to be a common theme on Mobileread. Too many ebooks which seem to have been produced by someone who feel that looking good on their computer screen means it will look good every where or who seem to have issues with homonyms which leave me standing in the cold "reign".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:14 PM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I found over 200 uncorrected OCR errors in a bought book last week
A few common ones (sp means shows up on spelling/grammar check when exported to docx)
Wrong -> correct
hut -> but
! or i -> l (lower case L) sp
‘ -> “ (the closing quote ”) sp
fiat -> flat
names (sp if you make a custom name dictionary)

Extra spaces in words sp
Extra periods or commas sp
Missing end of line punctuation (sp with regex)

Most of the bought books with lots of errors would not even pass spell/grammar check in LibreOffice or look good on screen. Much on Gutenberg is better.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:25 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
leave me standing in the cold "reign".
Ha!

I usually catch place instead of palace and discus instead of discuss when proof-reading (those are certainly typos). Also where and were (now where were we going reversed might be a typo).

I think some people more prone to homonyms than others. It's why the proof reader ought to be different to the writer/typist, though changing layout/font size and reading a few weeks later on eink instead of on screen helps.

All my proof reading & annotation is now on eink. Last full paper draft for proof reading was in maybe 1996. I got the Elipsa so as to proof PDFs for paper on eink, but I'd do text annotation and only use the stylus/pen for the Advanced Notebook to take notes.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote