Notices

Old 03-30-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question Non Serif Fonts for E-Ink Readers

To any and all:

As is the case for Bookerly and Literata, both Serif fonts optimized for e-Ink readers, are there any non-serif fonts specially made or recommended for E-Ink Readers?

Myself, I tend to use Lucida Sans Serif, but I'd like to know about other options.

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I find DejaVu Sans is OK. Nicer than the Android equivalent, is it Droid Sans?
Not sure if the Microsoft Lucida family was for CRTs, or to suit LCDs with "cleartype" (coloured edges, i.e. sub pixel addressing to improve horizontal resolution).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
To any and all:

As is the case for Bookerly and Literata, both Serif fonts optimized for e-Ink readers, are there any non-serif fonts specially made or recommended for E-Ink Readers?

Myself, I tend to use Lucida Sans Serif, but I'd like to know about other options.

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]
I cannot speak about Liberata. But I can say that Bookerly is NOT optimized for eInk. It needs added weight as it's too light as is.

As for sans-serif, you don't need such optimized for eInk. You just need to find a font you like that has normal, italic, bold, bold-italic and up the weight to your liking. I don't know if you can up the weight with the Boyue firmware. If you can't, then you can use Font-Forge to up the weight of all 4 font styles before using the font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Helvetica or Open Sans.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
You can try also Merriweather Sans, a freely available Google font.

Last edited by ps67; 03-30-2020 at 11:04 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Don't forget my favorite of all fonts, Comic Sans. Let the wailing begin.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
Incanus
Incanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
Don't forget my favorite of all fonts, Comic Sans. Let the wailing begin.
Let us be serious, please ;-)

[INCANUS]
Old 03-30-2020, 11:40 AM   #8
Incanus
Incanus

I thank you all very much for your suggestions; I will be trying them on my reader and see which one is better suited to my taste.

Very gratefully yours,

[INCANUS]
Old 03-30-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I like Gill Sans on my Kobo's. I don't know if it has been tweaked.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:57 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Coincidentally I just encountered this:
https://edition.cnn.com/style/articl...ars/index.html
Though in a way it's a Victorian era typeface.

IMO the Apple references are irrelevant.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-30-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #11
Incanus
Incanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Could you please attach a copy here, I mean, if it's legal to do so?

[INCANUS]
Old 03-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Could you please attach a copy here, I mean, if it's legal to do so?

[INCANUS]
On my Kobo, it is just called "Gill Sans". Here is a link, but I'm not sure how similar they are:

https://catalog.monotype.com/family/...rd=Gill%20sans
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
For quite a long time now I have been using Roboto. Roboto was created specifically for small screens of Android devices. It has a very neutral look and is very readable. I do not want a beautiful font for reading novels, I want a font that "disappears" when I read, so I can focus on the book.

If you insist on serif font, there is also Roboto Slab. It does have serifs, but it is slab-serif (like famous Caecilia on Kindles).

You might want to experiment with font weights - to see whether you prefer regular, medium or medium bold weight.

Roboto and numerous other fonts can be downloaded legally and for free at fonts.google.com
You can filter fonts you see, for example by number of styles (you want at least 4, so you have also bold, italics and bold italics), sort them by popularity, trending, time when they were added to fonts.google.com ... great site for discovering and getting new fonts.

EDIT:
have a look at Ubuntu font. I was using that one for quite a long time.

Last edited by kacir; 03-30-2020 at 02:50 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:40 AM   #14
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
It is tweaked in Kobo. Tracking is decreased and weight is increased.

Most sans serif typefaces isn't good for body text in high definition screens like ereader screens. You should take a look at geometric egyptians.

Last edited by GERGE; 03-31-2020 at 02:44 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:52 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try Helvetia Neue or Neue Helvetica. It's similar to Helvetica, but more rounded and you can find different variations with different spacing between the letters. So you might be able to find one that works for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader issues, fonts