Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2020, 07:30 PM   #31
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Thread is late to the party. The hack was late 10/09/ early 10/10 and lasted over 7 days. 10/1 i got nook loaded on my samsung then i went to hell again. took me till the 18th before all my devices worked
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:55 PM   #32
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Thread is late to the party. The hack was late 10/09/ early 10/10 and lasted over 7 days. 10/1 i got nook loaded on my samsung then i went to hell again. took me till the 18th before all my devices worked
So it's working for you now? Including "Product Search" with large result sets?

Was the first place that noticed the good-e-reader blog? I didn't see any discussion on the Nook sub-forum here or anywhere else.
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2020, 10:28 PM   #33
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There was a fully functional ftp server (full of warez content) operating inside of 12 hours.
That seems pretty unlikely, given NT 4 was supported until 2001.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:34 AM   #34
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
I think you'll find that DiapDealer's post was a first-hand account of something they personally did and observed.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
The thread is based on when the media finally noticed Nook was hacked.
High profile they ain't.
The belated reports all point to the tenth which is when it popped on Reddit.

More concerning than the hack itself is how long it took Nook to notify the customers they were at risk or even that anything was wrong. That it took a week for nook to come back up fully when they had the store cash registers up much sooner is just a reflection of how important BN.COM and Nook are to the B&N bottom line.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think you'll find that DiapDealer's post was a first-hand account of something they personally did and observed.
That is correct. My recount of the experiment was accurate. It makes no difference to me if someone doesn't think my results very likely. I know differently.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #37
eski15
eski15 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini
10 Days Later and STILL cannot get my library to Sync

10 days later and I still cannot get my Library to sync. I have been purchasing books on Nook for the past several years as I didn't want Amazon to bury them and then this stuff happens!!! Might be time to reconsider!
eski15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #38
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eski15 View Post
10 days later and I still cannot get my Library to sync. I have been purchasing books on Nook for the past several years as I didn't want Amazon to bury them and then this stuff happens!!! Might be time to reconsider!
Yep I actually went and bought my first Kindle. It's a pity because I've had virtually every Nook they made, and considered B&N the Avis, We Try Harder contender. (Or am I dating myself here?)

But Nook just couldn't keep up. It seems they were running on fumes for a while. But I think they still have a sentimental commitment to the business -- they can't be making any money on it.

And I really feel guilty to actually use a Kindle, but technically, they even beat Kobo (well at least for a few esoteric functions).
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #39
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
I tried to log in on the B&N site Monday night. I was told I needed a new password so I picked one and checked my Nook library and everthing was fine.

I logged out of the Nook app on my iPad and relogged in to enter my new password. It took all night long for the library on the iPad to resync. When it was first starting I kept getting messages that my internet connection had dropped, when it hadn't, or that the connection had timed out.

Just now I went to check my Nook library on line and got this message:
"This website is under heavy load (queue full)
We're sorry, too many people are accessing this website at the same time. We're working on this problem. Please try again later."

I have never seen a message like this and tried two different browsers to make sure it was not a fluke.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #40
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps one of those fingerprint scanners that also check blood oxygen level and pulse?
It still doesn't solve the problem of making a copy of your fingerprint and sticking it on somebody else's live finger.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It still doesn't solve the problem of making a copy of your fingerprint and sticking it on somebody else's live finger.
You would need to use a very thin translucent copy of the fingerprint which would have a poor chance of being recognized.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #42
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You would need to use a very thin translucent copy of the fingerprint which would have a poor chance of being recognized.
But it works in the movies, certainly it should work in the real world.

I'm pretty sure that most of us don't have to worry about having our fingers hacked off so someone can look at what we have on our laptop. People like Warren Buffett have body guards following him around who make sure that no one hacks off his finger.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I fully admit that the possibility of having any of my digits removed/stolen does not factor at all into my online security considerations.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #44
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
But it works in the movies, certainly it should work in the real world.

I'm pretty sure that most of us don't have to worry about having our fingers hacked off so someone can look at what we have on our laptop. People like Warren Buffett have body guards following him around who make sure that no one hacks off his finger.
An xkcd reference seems called for here: https://xkcd.com/538/ (mouseover text apt, too)
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #45
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
An xkcd reference seems called for here: https://xkcd.com/538/ (mouseover text apt, too)
More likely still:

"Laptop's encrypted."
"Sell it to the fence on fifth street. He'll give us twenty. It's not like the guy's in politics."
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote