Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-30-2020, 05:16 AM   #46
prom king
Sloshed
prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I just got an Onyx Boox Note 2 and seems to be working very well with both its stock software and with KOReader. I was somewhat leery of trying an Onyx device, but so far I have been pleasantly surprised, with its features and performance. I did notice that a number of its features are "phone home", possibly to China through the cloud. I just keep the WiFi off most of the time and don't enable it for those features (mostly that means not using them, not a loss, in my case).

You can download the user's manual (PDF).

Luck;
Ken
Yeah, just after I wrote that post I stumbled on Onyx Boox Note 2 and everything looked great, but then it seems that its screen gets easily scratched - did you have problems with it? Apparently you can also buy separate covers for it for protection.
prom king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #47
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I haven't had mine long, at all, but no scratches that I can see, so far. Mine came with a stickon screen protector sheet, tried it, but I couldn't get rid of all the air bubbles.

I did get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #48
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
reMarkable 2 reviews are out, it seems like it's basically a RM1 with no buttons and more battery life, as could be expected.

Some reviews say that the contrast have been improved and that the background is whiter, while some tend to say that there is no real difference but that it feels whiter because of they grey rather than white border... Hard to tell so far if (other than for battery life) the RM2 is a real improvement over the RM1.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #49
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air & Kindle Oasis
For anybody who has a RM1 or 2, does the pen also function as a highlighter on PDFs?
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:02 AM   #50
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by datanoise View Post
reMarkable 2 reviews are out, it seems like it's basically a RM1 with no buttons and more battery life, as could be expected.
Not sure why you're poo-pooing this so quickly. I'm biased because I'm buying one, but I've read a pile of reviews to make sure I *really* want it, because there's still a chance to get a refund. In those reviews, I've noted the following comparisons noted as improvements from rM1:
  • Response time for pen input cut in half; called "undetectable."
  • Ability to capture/digitize inputs all of the way to the edge of the screen.
  • Improved writing interface texture, now truly paper-like.
  • Obvious benefits from doubled pressure sensitivity.
  • Optional "pro" marker with eraser end saves a lot of time/gestures.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2020, 02:17 PM   #51
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHistorian76 View Post
For anybody who has a RM1 or 2, does the pen also function as a highlighter on PDFs?
You can markup pdfs in various ways, one of which is a highlighter mode for the pen (various others including ink pen, pencil, fineliner & brush).
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:45 PM   #52
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
It’s a very niche device. Hard to justify the price when you can buy a basic iPad + Apple Pencil that does so much more.

Maybe if it were $199 and/or used color eInk there would be some takers but it won’t get noticed at this price point.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #53
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It certainly won’t catch the attention of the mass market, but for the particular markets looking for such devices, including students and office workers dealing with reading/reviewing PDF docs, the electronic “paper pad” is what they’re looking for.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #54
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
I love my reMarkable. The advantage over a normal tablet is the weight, the battery life, and the surface feeling more like paper (friction). Excellent for taking notes and for annotating PDF documents.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #55
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i've pre-order during the batch 4 period and delivery has been pushed to late october.

i don't understand the concern with security or someone being afraid that the device will cease to function in case the company goes belly up. if you are concerned about security, then don't turn on wifi and transfer files direct from a computer to the device using the usb cable.

if you are worried about a stolen device with sensitive information on it, then those sensitive pdfs should be password protected before you transfer them to the device.
i don't yet have my device to test with, so i transferred a password protected pdf to my kindle. and on opening the file on the kindle, it does ask to enter the password. after entering the correct password, the file opened up. i'm thinking that the reMarkable would work the same way with password protected pdfs.

however, to password protect a pdf, you need the paid version of a pdf reader. both adobe acrobat and foxit phantom are paid versions of acrobat reader and foxit reader, respectively. and both allows adding passwords to pdf files.

on the other point, if the company does go belly up, you should still be able to use it in offline mode until the device itself dies for whatever reason. but it won't die because there is no connection to a server.

Last edited by rem736; 09-16-2020 at 02:05 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #56
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
however, to password protect a pdf, you need the paid version of a pdf reader.
What about PDFtk?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDFtk

https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/

There is a paid version, but the free (and GPL open source) version can encrypt (password protect) PDF files.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #57
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i've never heard of PDFtk. good to know. i've been using a similar pdf program called PDFill PDF Tools (free version) to split/remove/combine/re-order. now that i've looked at it closer, it can also encrypt (password protect) pdf files.

so PDFtk should work the same way.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:56 PM   #58
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
thanks for memories brought back... that was my 1st posting here that actually helped someone and got me Karma...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=22
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:34 AM   #59
gwynevans
Wizzard

The point with security is for the segment of the market that are dealing with personal data, where there are requirements where a simple password on a file won’t be sufficient.

I’m not arguing that Remarkable should necessarily be trying to satisfy those requirements, by the way, as they’re typically involved and rigorous, just pointing out they normally involve ensuring that the device itself is secure. For example, resistant to having, say, a keylogger-equivalent installed on it such that it could save your file passwords to be retrieved later.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #60
rem736
purpose priority passion

has anyone on this forum who ordered a Remarkable 2 received it yet?