Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What's with the Paranoia?

I'm reading about more and more people not wanting to register their Reader because they are paranoid. What's with this growing level of paranoia?

When you don't register, you don't get all the features of your Reader and I know in the case of Kobo, the firmware can change such that fake registering fails and you have to start over.

I've been registered with Sony, Kobo, and Amazon. I've never had a single issue with being registered. And then there are all the eBookstores I've been registered with. If you want to read commercial eBooks, you do need to be registered someplace. You just cannot do otherwise.

So why the paranoia? What's the reason for it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Here you go:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/se...rchid=15015529
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #3
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

Click on link it says no match.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #4
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I suspect it's because there was an article semi-recently about the extent of data Amazon collects and stores.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:09 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I suspect it's because there was an article semi-recently about the extent of data Amazon collects and stores.
And that is news?

They've been doing it for 25 years and there's still people who didn't know it?
Considering how often the naysayers bring it up hardly a day goes by without a mention.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:46 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Click on link it says no match.
It was search of "JSWolf" and "paranoia".
Old 11-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
You cannot post a search result as it expires.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:48 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
But this is not just about Amazon. There are people with all different kinds of Readers who are paranoid. Kobo, Amazon, B&N, Pocketbook, etc. And this is not a recent thing. Paranoia in registering a Reader has been going on for loner then that article.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #9
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
I find this quite interesting, people want all those features like whispersync etc., that require extensive data collection but are at the same time super surprised that amazon does extensive data collection and do research on it.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
I find this quite interesting, people want all those features like whispersync etc., that require extensive data collection but are at the same time super surprised that amazon does extensive data collection and do research on it.
I wonder how much of an intersection there is between those who want "all those features" and those who don't want to register? My impression is that, for those who have posted on MR not wanting to register, the overlap is relatively small.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
There are many real things in the world that are concerning. Amazon (or any other retailer) tracking my buying habits doesn't even rate a mention IMO.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It is not paranoia if they are really out to get you.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
A desire for privacy is not necessarily the same as paranoia.

I did register my Sonys and Kobo, but if other people choose privacy over some conveniences, I'm not going to criticize them.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #14
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I don't register because I don't want my archive full. I don't use it. All my books are sideloaded and mostly renamed. So I have no need of an archive full of book listings that don't match the book names in my collections. I keep all my books in my reader for convenience. I've got ~1200 books in about 10 pages of collections which is easily managed so I don't need or want the archive. I also don't use search, notes or syncing. Why would I need it registered? It isn't paranoia I just don't want the "features" which simply annoy me. Gah, give me a reader without all those bells and whistles. I just want to read and organize my books the way I want them organized. Nothing else.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I don't register because I don't want my archive full. I don't use it. All my books are sideloaded and mostly renamed. So I have no need of an archive full of book listings that don't match the book names in my collections. I keep all my books in my reader for convenience. I've got ~1200 books in about 10 pages of collections which is easily managed so I don't need or want the archive. I also don't use search, notes or syncing. Why would I need it registered? It isn't paranoia I just don't want the "features" which simply annoy me. Gah, give me a reader without all those bells and whistles. I just want to read and organize my books the way I want them organized. Nothing else.
But to organize your books, you do need to be registered. That's how Readers work. So why not register? You don't have to use the account for anything else if you don't want.