Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 08-09-2015, 06:50 AM   #1
anonymust
Book Reader
anonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Pocketbook *** (Touch HD 3)
Split PDF into Multiple files

Good day.

Is there a way for me to split a large PDF (490MB) which my e-reader can not handle into multiple parts?

I plan to split it into at least 10 parts, or if I can split it my definning from page X to page Y

I believe the PDF is this large because it was scanned from the original source as an image then put together as a PDF

P.s. I use a Macbook not windows if you have software recommendations.
anonymust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Many pdf readers, editors and tools can split and merge pdf files.

Since 490 MB is a way too big for pdf, I would try to reduce the pdf size by reducing the page size(resolution) also, not just by splitting, because it will be easier that way for e-reader too.

You can use k2pdfopt app (Mac version), both for reducing the page size (e.g. exactly for your reader screen size and resolution) and splitting the pdf into several parts (from page x to y).

k2pdfopt automatically crops the white borders, reduces the page size and cuts the pdf pages to fit e-reader's screen in landscape or portraite perfectly.

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144711

some other free pdf apps

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/pdf_conversion.shtml

Last edited by markom; 08-09-2015 at 11:40 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #3
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
PDFSAM and jPDFtweak are two tools that can also do what you want. They are java-based, so they should be platform independent, but I have not used either on a Mac.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
anonymust
Book Reader
anonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavens

Is it possible with any of these softwares to have an OCR done on the files?

Currently the PDF is in high resolution, and the text is pretty crisp and clear as an image.

But I fear if I shrink or split the PDF I will not be able to annotate/highlight certain text within the document (because its im image not text if you know what I mean)

To make things more difficult, some of the text are in columns :/
Old 08-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #5
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymust View Post
Is it possible with any of these softwares to have an OCR done on the files?

Currently the PDF is in high resolution, and the text is pretty crisp and clear as an image.

But I fear if I shrink or split the PDF I will not be able to annotate/highlight certain text within the document (because its im image not text if you know what I mean)

To make things more difficult, some of the text are in columns :/
The software Markom mentioned, k2pdfopt (open source, available for Mac), uses the Tesseract OCR engine if you turn on OCR. That does a pretty good job if the text is well defined, but it is slow--you may have to run the conversion overnight. It should be okay with multiple columns, depending on the complexity of the layout. You can try things out on a few pages at a time. For an example of running the text menu version (like on the Mac) and turning on OCR, watch the 6-minute video on this help page.

I have read on these forums that the best OCR is done with ABBY FineReader, which is a commercial program.

Last edited by willus; 08-10-2015 at 09:18 AM.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:21 AM   #6
anonymust
Book Reader

thank you

Tags
pdf, pocketbook, scan, split