Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-17-2020, 05:56 AM   #1
ejpoulloura
ejpoulloura began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 10
Sharing via email

Hi,

I've been using Calibre for a long time and normally when I use calibre to email my books its shows on my kindle/on the amazon content section with the title and the author. Since yesterday it's now showing the title and then my email address as the author. I haven't changed any settings so I'm not sure why it's changed. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm sending in .mobi format.

Thanks
Emma
ejpoulloura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
hilibnist
hilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: Kindle for iOS, Kindle (3rd gen)
I've seen this recently too

Thanks for posting Emma.
I've seeen the same issue on .mobi files I've created in Calibre and emailed to my Kindle. I don't have a solution I'm afraid, but I've added my observations in case it helps somebody else with an answer.

My files had been edited in .docx format and at first I thought it was down to missing or incorrect properties in the .docx. I checked those before converting to .mobi in Calibre again AND checked that the metadata in Calibre shows the correct info.

Everything looks good in Calibre, but when I email the .mobi or .docx files to Kindle, they appear in my list of Amazon docs with my email address as the author.

I've been emailing in the same way for years (well, 2013 at least). The last .mobi which arrived with the correct author was on 24 August 2020. I re-sent the same file today without any modification and this time it arrived with my email address as the author.

Please MobileReaders - I'd welcome any advice on resolving this one!

Thanks,
hilibnist
hilibnist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
My guess is amazon is doing shenanigans on their end.

To test that, email the same book from outside of calibre just using your email. See what happens.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:43 AM   #4
ejpoulloura
ejpoulloura began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
My guess is amazon is doing shenanigans on their end.

To test that, email the same book from outside of calibre just using your email. See what happens.
I tried this and yes the same thing happened. Looks like its an Amazon issue.
ejpoulloura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:45 AM   #5
hilibnist
hilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned offhilibnist can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Email from outside Calibre

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've always emailed from outside Calibre and all my .mobi files have been emailed the same way.

That does point to a change at Amazon's end. I wonder if it's deliberate, or an unintended side-effect?
Old 10-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
hilibnist

Possible workaround

Amazon is still changing the author of ebooks I email to my Kindle account from Calibre (and from my email client).

I found a workaround using Amazon's "Send to Kindle" tool. It's an app for Windows that adds a new "Send to Kindle" option into the context menu when you right click on a file.
The app is downloaded directly from Amazon (link below) and setup requires your Kindle (Amazon) account details - Amazon already knows those.

Send to Amazon tool (Windows)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/pc

I tried it with .mobi files that didn't upload with correct author details previously. I only upload a few books at a time and if my emailed files continue to be altered, it'll do as a workaround for me.

There's a link to the Mac version on the same page, but I haven't tried it.

Hope this helps you too Emma.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:58 AM   #7
spanishguy
spanishguy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
This has been happening to me since 17th September but I only noticed yesterday. The odd thing is that the author is correct when it arrives on my Kindle. If I use the workaround it makes it more messy to send as I assume you cannot use Calibre to send and I use that as my goto app to keep track of what I send to myself but also to friends.
spanishguy is offline   Reply With Quote