Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
dcdecker
dcdecker began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Keyboard, Nook 1st, Acer 5538
Calibre Software for Chromebook OS

How close are you to developing a version of Calibre that can be run on a Chromebook? Windows 10 is a disaster and many of us with Windows 7 and 8 computers are slowly seeing our computers destroyed or bricked by numerous faulty updates that Microsoft keep downloading to our machines each month. With Windows crashing and Macs so expensive, a version for Chromebook would be great!
dcdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Never. calibre is written in python, and Chromebooks only support Chrome webapps.

You can install calibre inside ChrUbuntu or Crouton, both of which enhance Chromebooks by giving you access to the underlying linux operating system (or dual-booting into another one) and allowing you to install "real" software.

Alternatively, instead of replacing the Windows computer with a Chromebook, keep the computer and replace Windows with Linux.
Linux isn't expensive at all -- it's free. Perfectly reasonable alternative to a Macbook as far as I am concerned.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2016, 09:43 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will note that the content server is currently undergoing a massive rewrite, which adds a browser-based ereader and will likely allow you to add/modify/delete books from the server.

So in an upcoming calibre v3, you might be able to do everything you need just by running calibre on a server and connecting via a browser from any computer even a Chromebook.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:12 AM   #4
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdecker View Post
...many of us with Windows 7 and 8 computers are slowly seeing our computers destroyed or bricked by numerous faulty updates...
Every claim I have seen that a computer was "bricked" by windows update was actually a case of "had to reinstall windows". That is a far cry from bricked. Likewise for "computer destroyed" turning out to "software destroyed".
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Likewise for "computer destroyed" turning out to "software destroyed".
That even is not always true: every bit is most of the time there, but not necessary in the correct order to be usable ...
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
dcdecker
dcdecker began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Keyboard, Nook 1st, Acer 5538
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
Every claim I have seen that a computer was "bricked" by windows update was actually a case of "had to reinstall windows". That is a far cry from bricked. Likewise for "computer destroyed" turning out to "software destroyed".
I love the way you say "had to reinstall Windows" like it was just that easy.
dcdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Users destroy Computers and OS

They do things they shouldn't: Visit questionable locations or networks, open any file or mail without careful consideration and protections

They fail to do things they should: Critical Updates, current A/V tools and Backups, Preventative Maintenance (housekeeping) , use a UPS or surge protection depending on regional power history needs

Prevent Physical Damage: Don't place where it can be sat upon, knocked off the desk easily or trip on its cables... Preventative Maintenance (lint and dirt cleaning)

I ran the same install of XP every day for 10 years until I accidentally dropped a file shortcut onto 'Start" instead of the Programs Menu
because it destroyed the ability to launch any Windows GUI type Programs.
I applied service packs, Critical Updates in a timely manner AFTER reviewing the proposed list (I have seen bad/wrong hardware drivers on the list).
Automatic is for Notifications
Manual is for the choosing of actual application of those files
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
"Borked to the point of needing an OSware reinstall", a/k/a the "soft brick".
Seems a reasonable description to me.

Anyway, you are splitting hairs.
Reinstalling the OS is not an action that should have to be taken, and when it isn't simply beyond a person's skills, it is still a PITA to do.
If "had to reinstall Windows" is something that happens multiple times, then that is a serious problem and well worth someone's time to find an MS Windows alternative.

Just because it can be fixed, does not mean it is totally alright to be put in a position where you need to fix it.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdecker View Post
How close are you to developing a version of Calibre that can be run on a Chromebook? Windows 10 is a disaster and many of us with Windows 7 and 8 computers are slowly seeing our computers destroyed or bricked by numerous faulty updates that Microsoft keep downloading to our machines each month. With Windows crashing and Macs so expensive, a version for Chromebook would be great!
Windows 10 is not a disaster. Windows 10 runs quite well on my laptop and Surface Pro 2. I have a desktop with Windows 7 (soon to be Windows 10) and I've run Windows 8.1. They all ran well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never had to reinstall Windows. I've updated Windows, but I've never had such an issue where Windows needed to be reinstalled to work. I've started with Windows 3.1. I have skipped some releases of Windows, but those I ran never once needed to be reinstalled.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Windows 10 is not a disaster. Windows 10 runs quite well on my laptop and Surface Pro 2. I have a desktop with Windows 7 (soon to be Windows 10) and I've run Windows 8.1. They all ran well.
Would it make you feel better if he had specified "is a disaster for many people"?

Or do you just want to ride your usual hobby horse around?

> /dev/null
Old 04-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Would it make you feel better if he had specified "is a disaster for many people"?

> /dev/null
Sorry Windows is not the disaster you want it to be. Give it up, Windows works.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

> /dev/null
that is NUL: in DOS and Windows
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
that is NUL: in DOS and Windows
That's kind of the point, it is much more enjoyable to send a Windows fanatic/apologist to /dev/null on a Linux box.

Anyway, I love how a thread asking for suggestions on using calibre while ditching Windows, "For Personal Reasons™", became a place to lecture the OP about why "Windows does work, no really, and it's all your fault for unspecified reasons, because it works for me".

It is a known and indisputable fact that Windows 8/10 is unsatisfactory for many people, and that Windows 7 is not a long-term solution in addition to being slightly challenging to keep ahold of (sneaky tricks to get people to accidentally upgrade to Windows 10, that too might be something the OP simply doesn't want to deal with anymore).

The OP feels that Windows is making him unhappy, and he wants to know what else he can use to run calibre.
How can we help him feel happy again? That is the only meaningful thing here, the rest is just more of the we beat to death in the Lounge et al. already.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #15
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
It is a known and indisputable fact that Windows 8/10 is unsatisfactory for many people, and that Windows 7 is not a long-term solution in addition to being slightly challenging to keep ahold of (sneaky tricks to get people to accidentally upgrade to Windows 10, that too might be something the OP simply doesn't want to deal with anymore).
Thats what they telling all the time over the years and decades. Saw a lot of OS's come and go. Each of them was the best of the best

I am looking forward to see a switch between Windows / Others and see what will happen then
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_os.JPG
Views:	662
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	148102  
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chrome os, chromebook