Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2022, 10:31 AM   #61
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
There are a number of people who seem upset that no new Kindle Oasis was announced.

Yet, I have it on 'good authority' that one can achieve the same thing by simply purchasing the Amazon Scribe and applying the easy technique listed below (see images), and Presto! Zingo! - one has a new, unannounced Kindle Oasis! Also includes a custom-made screen savor of a famous actor at no extra cost!

NOTE: The absence of buttons may be problematic for those members who are always difficult to please.

DISCLAIMER: I will not be held responsible for any screen damage. (A case is recommended.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compactor.jpg
Views:	5911
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	196863   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Kindle Oasis with Screen Saver.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	196864  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-29-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:35 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
That is a pretty good price for 10" display. It'll be even better on black Friday

But why the large side bevel and without page turn buttons? For holding, sure, but people manage just fine with 10" and larger tablets without a large side bevel. Unnecessary added size and weight.
And those same tablets have no page turn buttons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2022, 11:13 AM   #63
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Tablets don't have page turn buttons but I don't use them for much reading. I'd be fine for nonfiction study on tablets with highlighting and a pen as I wouldn't fly through those the same. For eink without color,. Too pricey for me to get enough use out of I think
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:37 AM   #64
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
No mention of pen tilt and pressure support so probably not included. Otherwise, they would indicate sketching as a feature. I also wonder if the pen-on-screen experience feel like writing on paper or glass.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:38 AM   #65
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
No mention of pen tilt and pressure support so probably not included. Otherwise, they would indicate sketching as a feature. I also wonder if the pen-on-screen experience feel like writing on paper or glass.
Amazon claims it feels like writing on paper.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2022, 12:12 PM   #66
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
How would Bluetooth page turning work?
You pair the ereader with an external bluetooth device, and use the external device to turn the pages.

For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Con.../dp/B0B6V1J5X9
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:20 PM   #67
beninma
Enthusiast
beninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Various Kindles, iPad
I may be in for this one. I had a DX-G back in the day and have missed it's size for years. There are certain types of books and documents I just don't even bother with on the smaller kindles that were fine on the DX-G.

I have recently contemplated an iPad for some of this stuff, including technical books, music books & sheet music, etc..

The ipad will be 3x-4x as expensive by the time I end up with what I want. It'd do more things but I already have a laptop which is better for a lot of things. I've tried the iPad before and the 9.5" screen at that time was too small. 10.2" is borderline for the sheet music stuff but good for most of the technical or music books. I sold the iPad after a couple years as it just wasn't doing enough for it's price and bought a Macbook instead.

I've had an awful lot of Kindles and a few other devices. I'm fine with no buttons. I have the Oasis 7" that does not have the warm light and now I have the current Paperwhite and the new Paperwhite is so wonderful I don't really care about the buttons. Any replacement for the Oasis would have to have battery life as good as the current Paperwhite as the difference is just so huge. The Oasis when new was the worst battery life of any Kindle I've had, the current Paperwhite is by far the best. I've had 3 Paperwhites, a Voyage, and the 1st and 2nd Oasis, maybe I have a problem.

The pen and it's features would just be bonus on the top.
beninma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:37 PM   #68
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodman View Post
It says in the Scribe blurb on Amazon that:

You can import personal documents via Send to Kindle. You can write directly on the page in PDF documents. You can import and create handwritten sticky notes in Microsoft Word docs and web articles, with adjustable font sizes and layout. You can also create handwritten sticky notes in TXT, RTF, HTM, HTML, PNG, GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP and EPUB documents.

Does this mean the Scribe will allow ePubs to be imported and read, as I don’t see how else sticky notes could be created for them?
I believe that, as it says, EPUB will be supported using Send to Kindle. That means it will be converted to a Kindle format using Amazon's servers and delivered that way to the device. The notes will then be associated with the Kindle copy. The same would hold true for RTF and HTML documents.

I don't know for sure but I have seen signs of support being added to support handwritten notes in KFX format. I have not seen signs of that for the older Kindle formats. That suggests to me that Amazon may start converting personal documents to KFX instead of KF8 (azw3) format later this year.

Last edited by jhowell; 09-29-2022 at 01:41 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:15 PM   #69
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
You pair the ereader with an external bluetooth device, and use the external device to turn the pages.

For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Con.../dp/B0B6V1J5X9
I'd like the page-turn buttons on the device. I don't want to carry that thing around.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:16 PM   #70
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Did it’ll have the eink carta 1200?
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:39 PM   #71
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
It says in the Scribe blurb on Amazon that:

You can import personal documents via Send to Kindle. You can write directly on the page in PDF documents. You can import and create handwritten sticky notes in Microsoft Word docs and web articles, with adjustable font sizes and layout. You can also create handwritten sticky notes in TXT, RTF, HTM, HTML, PNG, GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP and EPUB documents.

Does this mean the Scribe will allow ePubs to be imported and read, as I don’t see how else sticky notes could be created for them?
They get converted. There's no native support for any of those formats (except for TXT I guess).

Last edited by tomsem; 09-29-2022 at 02:46 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:53 PM   #72
apastuszak
Evangelist

I assume you can sideload stuff.

I'm curious what Amazon's angle is with this thing. How is this going to help them sell electronic content? Are they going to make a push into selling non-fiction titles, such as textbooks on their website as PDFs, or will there be a new large screen KFX format?
Old 09-29-2022, 02:58 PM   #73
Dodman
Enthusiast
Dodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Ipad, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
They get converted. There's no native support for any of those formats (except for TXT I guess).

Ah, I see.

From the point of view of someone simply wanting to read ePubs on a Scribe, would using Send to Kindle be an easier alternative to, say, Calibre (which requires a PC and often seems to run into glitches with me)?
Dodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:07 PM   #74
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I'd like the page-turn buttons on the device. I don't want to carry that thing around.
I'm assuming Amazon wouldn't force users to use external bluetooth devices for page turning.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:08 PM   #75
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Ah, I see.

From the point of view of someone simply wanting to read ePubs on a Scribe, would using Send to Kindle be an easier alternative to, say, Calibre (which requires a PC and often seems to run into glitches with me)?
Yes, although, as yet, send to kindle on Mac and windows has not been updated to work with epubs.

You can currently send epubs to your kindle by email, which converts them, and also means you can bold the font, etc., things you couldn’t do with the Mobi docs. But… the author name is currently missing from them! Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

I have now ordered two Scribes, as we are each getting each other one for Christmas! I am all in!
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote