Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2023, 05:01 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelschraube View Post
Employees have no reason to lie to you. They just look in the delivery papers (computer).

The employee said Amazon devices can be returned at MediaMarkt/Saturn (German electronics store) within 14 days (special arrangement with Amazon). So I could relax at home to see what firmware version is on it, if I do not link the reader then with my Amazon account or try to hack the device is no problem. I told him directly that I was looking for a device with old firmware. That's when he gave me an old device.

About the battery, I have the normal two year warranty on the new device. And Amazon itself is known to be very accommodating about problems with their own devices.
But if you have a battery problem and sent it back to Amazon, chances are you'll get a refurbished Kindle. That means you may not be able to jailbreak or will have to try again. But I would say a refurbished Kindle is likely to be on a current firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:32 PM   #17
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWoof View Post
But if you have a battery problem and sent it back to Amazon, chances are you'll get a refurbished Kindle. That means you may not be able to jailbreak or will have to try again. But I would say a refurbished Kindle is likely to be on a current firmware.

The dude gave a realistic answer to the person who asked how to tell whether a recent device was jailbreakable and now you’ve gone off on this silly tangent about hypothetical batteries as if it has any relevance or worth whatsoever.

Is this constant pedantry truly the best way of enjoying the remaining years allocated to you?
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2023, 06:02 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not iffy at all. The PW5 is not able to be jailbroken if bought now because they come with too late a firmware version.
As usual for your absolutist posts, not 100%.

New Old Stack shows up from time to time and the oldest new in box PW5 probably has still useful battery life.

I'm going to have to start assuming that you deliberately make misleading posts rather than being simply careless, thoughtless, clueless.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:00 PM   #19
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not iffy at all. The PW5 is not able to be jailbroken if bought now because they come with too late a firmware version.
Dear know it all (but actually not knowing anything) Kobo troll, just had to let you know this peace of information: a friend bought a PW5 Kids bundle couple of weeks ago directly from amazon.de and it had firmware v5.14.0.1 and this evening I helped him jailbreak it.

And if those claims about format of serial numbers in relation with manufacture dates are correct then that particular unit from Amazon DE is older (being made mid-November 2021.) than both of my PW5 Kids units that were bought from Amazon.com and shipped inside the US (the first one that bootlooped / bricked after 20 or so days was bought in early April 2022. and the replacement unit was sent in early May 2022.)

Last edited by shamanNS; 03-15-2023 at 09:18 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:11 AM   #20
MrKaon
MrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enough

Device: KV, PW5
Buy a Voyage; there is even an unopened or refurbished one on eBay. No matter what firmware comes, all jailbreak able.
MrKaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2023, 01:35 PM   #21
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur
Winkelschraube began at the beginning.

Device: The (orly) amazing Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKaon View Post
Buy a Voyage; there is even an unopened or refurbished one on eBay. No matter what firmware comes, all jailbreak able.
True... but the screen from the OA3 is amazing...
Winkelschraube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:03 PM   #22
nicknackpaddywak
nicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 (retired), Kindle Oasis 3
Honestly I think we are going a bit off topic.

Here is my summary of what you should be looking for:

Older but functional and jailbreakable kindles

Kindle voyage, Kindle paperwhite 2 and 1 (guarantied Jailbreak)

Newer slightly but less risky:

KOA3, 2, 1, PW2, 3, 4

Very risky, should go to store and look at firmware version:

PW5

No jailbreak: Scribe

Keep in mind some of the extensions made for the kindle are pretty old and may malfunction on newer kindles (Leafpad for instance has the touch keyboard problem on my KOA3)

How to tell if your kinde can be jailbroken? Firmware version less than 5.14.2

Some Older kindles, such as the KOA1, KV can have an ancient 4.4 or 5 version of Android OS installed after jailbroken and may dual boot. Refer to my thread for more information: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=349937

you can also read this thread if you want to help

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=350272

Welp now I am going off topic too LOL

Last edited by nicknackpaddywak; 03-29-2023 at 09:07 PM.
nicknackpaddywak is offline   Reply With Quote