Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #91
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi helen, and welcome to the forum ! i'm very glad to know you didn't have the same problem as i did, since you couldn't even *attempt* a repair at your local sony store (i'm sure they'll get there eventually. it took them a while to get to france, but they made it).

you're quite right that calibre is about a million times better than the sony software for managing your library. i use it exclusively, myself. i'm not sure it has an epub *validator* though ; although that might be a new feature that i haven't noticed yet. but if you are looking for more than a basic converter, you might try sigil (it has its own forum here) for editing and creating epubs, and the threepress.org validator.

enjoy your sony ! and happy reading. i recently re-read the HHGG and it's definitely worth it, although i still think my favourite douglas adams books are the Dirk Gently ones (alas, there are only 2 of those. ).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #92
helebor
helebor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks for the "Hoy", Zelda. As you can tell, I'm still clambering the high side of the learning curve with this wee beastie. I'm not as happy as I expected to be with the Touch interface...it's less "touch" and more of "heave and squeeze" for me. It's not user-friendly in temps in the middle 30s C (typical February weather here!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
...calibre..i'm not sure it has an epub *validator* though ; although that might be a new feature that i haven't noticed yet.
Could be: I only downloaded it 3 days ago.
Quote:
but if you are looking for more than a basic converter, you might try sigil
For immediate purposes the eReader is an end-user accessory for me (read "eyesight-saver"/LCD-blindness) with my current project, which entails dipping in and out of countless PDFs whilst developing a tools environment for a complex single-sourcing content repository for technical documentation, using DITA (Darwin Information Typing Architecture). Another DITA enthusiast has been working up ePub as one of a tribe of supported output formats (known as "DITA targets"). He put up his first "proof of concept" build on one of the DITA forums the same day as I took delivery of my PRS-600. That collision of events was just too distracting to ignore! It worked beautifully on the PRS-600, better apparently than on some other platforms that people tested.

In the course of that I discovered an undocumented feature of the device that seems to work with both ePub and text-based PDF docs: vertical scrolling. It seems to be limited to structured documents (which is most of the stuff I'm reading) insofar as you can only scroll up and down within the current nesting level. That might be why Sony hasn't documented it. It would be nice to have for unstructured books, wouldn't it?

Sigil looks like fun...but the source side of DITA, and publisher deadlines (aaaaarrrrrghh!!) have to stay totally in the foreground for the time being....and I'm *so* easily distracted by gadgetology!

Cheers,
Helen
helebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #93
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I'm glad to hear you're up and running again. That's why I have 3 readers, so if my 600 breaks I have a replacement 600 and my 505. call me silly but....I won't be without my reader! Leme know if u need to borrow one
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #94
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by helebor View Post
Thanks for the "Hoy", Zelda. As you can tell, I'm still clambering the high side of the learning curve with this wee beastie. I'm not as happy as I expected to be with the Touch interface...it's less "touch" and more of "heave and squeeze" for me. It's not user-friendly in temps in the middle 30s C (typical February weather here!)

Could be: I only downloaded it 3 days ago.

For immediate purposes the eReader is an end-user accessory for me (read "eyesight-saver"/LCD-blindness) with my current project, which entails dipping in and out of countless PDFs whilst developing a tools environment for a complex single-sourcing content repository for technical documentation, using DITA (Darwin Information Typing Architecture). Another DITA enthusiast has been working up ePub as one of a tribe of supported output formats (known as "DITA targets"). He put up his first "proof of concept" build on one of the DITA forums the same day as I took delivery of my PRS-600. That collision of events was just too distracting to ignore! It worked beautifully on the PRS-600, better apparently than on some other platforms that people tested.

In the course of that I discovered an undocumented feature of the device that seems to work with both ePub and text-based PDF docs: vertical scrolling. It seems to be limited to structured documents (which is most of the stuff I'm reading) insofar as you can only scroll up and down within the current nesting level. That might be why Sony hasn't documented it. It would be nice to have for unstructured books, wouldn't it?

Sigil looks like fun...but the source side of DITA, and publisher deadlines (aaaaarrrrrghh!!) have to stay totally in the foreground for the time being....and I'm *so* easily distracted by gadgetology!

Cheers,
Helen
wow, i'm not sure i understood all of that but it sounds fascinating ! i really hope you'll share a bit more information about it with us, i suspect there are quite a few people who would be interested. i do know what you mean about being distracted by gadgetology though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
I'm glad to hear you're up and running again. That's why I have 3 readers, so if my 600 breaks I have a replacement 600 and my 505. call me silly but....I won't be without my reader! Leme know if u need to borrow one
aw, thanks emonti ! that's very kind ! hopefully i won't *need* to take you up on your offer but i'll definitely keep it in mind.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote