Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #61
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoover View Post
Good to know that UK will get this update soon. Now I just have to wait till Christmas day!

(Lol. Don't laugh Reader Paradice)
I'm in the UK and got the update about 3pm, I think. Definitely before your post though.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #62
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Libra Color, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Love the sepia mode in the Kobo reader. Very subdued

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #63
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Sleep of death issue not fixed for me either.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #64
BradenW
BradenW began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch; Kobo Vox
Updating now, and desperately hoping that I will finally have a usable Vox, after multiple calls to support, numerous open tickets of which many (if not all) were just simply closed without my knowledge, and all but one of which have yet to be properly answered by tech support ...

I'm glad to hear so many people here have had relatively decent experiences. For me, after several years of enthusiastic support for this company and it's products (I own three different versions of Kobo readers), this Vox experience has been absolutely horrible.

Crossing my fingers ...
BradenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #65
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Just to clarify, the release notes for this update do not claim to fix the sleep of death issue. I think SOD is really stumping the Kobo team, but they are working to find a fix. For now, they gave us everything they could and have made the Vox a lot more friendly and I think they did a pretty good job.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #66
wwat
Enthusiast
wwat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, iPod
"Improved the stability of resuming from Standby mode"
"Resolves an issue where some customers lost their WiFi connection"

The first item above seems to refers to the SOD issue, the second item could refer to an issue that occurs when the device is turned back on after the SOD issue.
What I'm mainly wanting to know is that the devs are onto it, I'm not too concerned that its still happening as long as we get some acknowlegment that they are looking into it and will eventually get it fixed.
From what you wrote it appears they are looking into it so thats good enough for me.

Thanks,
W.
wwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #67
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Seeing a slew of negative comments on the new update, I feel compelled to chime in and say it's a definite improvement and does all it claims to do. Download and installation went smoothly. All too often we only hear the negative.

I have only two small criticisms. It seems like the auto-rotation can no longer be turned off in the Settings (but it can be turned off in the browser, and, of course, the reader). Also, the minimum brightness in the reader has gone up with the addition of the sepia option. I solved that by installing Screen Filter.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #68
parkgreen
parkgreen began at the beginning.

Device: ipad2; kobo touch; vox
Update has turned my Vox, which was functioning just fine, into a frozen piece of junk. Get a "Sorry the application launcher has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Can't get rid of warning, so is totally locked up.
parkgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:11 AM   #69
morval
morval began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I got the Vox for my Niece and I've been trying it out so its ready for Xmas for her. But I just don't think this thing is ready for prime time! I have had nothing but problems. I can find work arounds, but the user shouldn't have to do this and a user that isn't experienced with electronic devices will have a hard time.

It doesn't charge except when turned off. The Wifi doesn't always turn back on. It freezes a lot and since the upgrade yesterday it 80% of the time won't come back from sleep mode. I read that perhaps it has trouble when you have wifi turned off and it comes back from sleep mode, but this just isn't a consumer ready device then.

And resetting the whole device to factory settings really isn't a good option for a three day old device with barely anything on it.

I don't think an 8 year old is going to be able to figure all these quirks out and its just going to be even more frustrating for her.

I hope I can take it back.

I'm very dissapointed.

Konrad
morval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:34 AM   #70
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Works Great

I'm in the UK and I just updated my Vox about half hour ago, it went quickly and seamlessly.

All the improvements I've tested so far have worked flawlessly for me.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #71
Whoover
Enthusiast
Whoover began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
I'm in the UK and I just updated my Vox about half hour ago, it went quickly and seamlessly.

All the improvements I've tested so far have worked flawlessly for me.
Lioslaith - let us know how it performs over the next few days won't you? It's good to hear about how other UK stock compares.
Whoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #72
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoover View Post
Lioslaith - let us know how it performs over the next few days won't you? It's good to hear about how other UK stock compares.
Will do. Only hope I've not jinxed myself ... I always hope not when responding to other users problems in comparison to my personal experience so far!
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #73
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

The new update has not fixed the "sleep of death" issue on my kobo either. I am noticing now it is locking up in the lock screen and requires a full power off. This is very frustrating, but I understand the Kobo team is probably working on a fix for it. I have set the wifi sleep policy to "never" but this hasn't fixed the sleep of death problem in this version of the firmware.

I would like to say that I am VERY impressed with the responsiveness of the new firmware, and have noticed the following improvements:
1) Increased responsiveness in operating system
2) Reads the touchscreen much better (only have to press once on an icon to hit it, in previous versions I would have to press it multiple times)
3) Like the new visual asthetic touches they have added
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #74
Ogien
Ogien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavens

Update Results

So I got the update last night, all wen't well. Here is what I have found.

My flash stopped working, had to uninstall and re-install flash. After that it worked fine, it even worked a bit better on Videos for some reason, still skipped frames but less.

I changed my WIFI setting back to sleep when screen goes off. So far it works but I am not holding my breath because I have seen that other folks still had the issue. On a positive side, my friend has an Acer Andreoid tablet and he has the same bug, so I do not think it is a Kobo thing. We'll just have to learn to turn off our WIFI I think.

I have not tested battery charging while the Kobo is on. I don't want to risk it, turning it off before charging is not a big deal anyways.

Bloatware is still there, managed to disable all of it other than the Globe2Go ePaper which still starts when the Kobo first powers on. I just have to say to the Kobo developers if you don't want to me install a custom rom as soon as it is available you need to remove that crap or at least allow me to disable it.

Ogien
MoreMMO.com
Ogien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #75
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogien View Post
So I got the update last night, all wen't well. Here is what I have found.

My flash stopped working, had to uninstall and re-install flash. After that it worked fine, it even worked a bit better on Videos for some reason, still skipped frames but less.

I changed my WIFI setting back to sleep when screen goes off. So far it works but I am not holding my breath because I have seen that other folks still had the issue. On a positive side, my friend has an Acer Andreoid tablet and he has the same bug, so I do not think it is a Kobo thing. We'll just have to learn to turn off our WIFI I think.

I have not tested battery charging while the Kobo is on. I don't want to risk it, turning it off before charging is not a big deal anyways.

Bloatware is still there, managed to disable all of it other than the Globe2Go ePaper which still starts when the Kobo first powers on. I just have to say to the Kobo developers if you don't want to me install a custom rom as soon as it is available you need to remove that crap or at least allow me to disable it.

Ogien
MoreMMO.com
I have been charging my Vox while using it since I got it at the beginning of November. No problem doing that at all, everything continues to work fine. What do you believe will happen if you use while charging?
ps. I've gone through the 2 updates in the meantime. No problems with charging while using.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote