Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2017, 04:04 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
oh, the aluminum case is very nice indeed, but, as i noted, very very slick. and since there's no case protection for the bulge, i suspect it'll get scratched and ugly on the back in short order.
I see no reason to suppose that. I've carried my iPhone 6 (with is made from the same anodised aluminium as the Oasis) in my pocket with no case among coins, keys, etc, for more than three years, and it's unmarked. Anodised aluminium is tough stuff!

You could use a sleeve to carry the Oasis around in if this is a concern, but I don't think there's any real reason to worry about it.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-02-2017 at 06:37 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #17
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun1985 View Post
Did you check at brightness level 8 at night in perfectly dark room if you dont mind? I would change my unit if its just this one... The far end towards the thin edge is slightly darker than the other end on mine..
Yup. Down to 6 in a totally dark room and totally even lighting.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #18
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
Quote:
and one last dig at the case, being ocd/anal it bothers me no end that the amazon logo is upside down if i flip the oasis to left-hand button use.

compared to the smaller oasis, it's a true pain to hold even with a case.

i like the smaller one so much better i think i might keep it and copy my current reading list to it although that sounds insane considering my whole library is on the bigger one. hopefully i'll come to grips (!) with the size eventually.
/guy
I will be making a non-directional vinyl decoration to cover up the Amazon logo (yes, very OCD about these things too).

The main reason I did not buy the first Oasis was the asymmetrical design which I was sure would annoy me so much I couldn't concentrate on what I was reading. So when this one was announced I ordered it and then borrowed an Oasis 1 to read on and see if I could deal with the design.

I loved the Oasis 1! With more space and more responsive processor it would have been my perfect device. I got my Oasis 2 yesterday and was thrilled with the speed of it, not so keen on the slipperiness, and dislike the size and weight. Unfortunately I had to give back the Oasis 1, and of course I know it isn't possible to have all the good bits of the new Oasis in the old size and weight.

I hope to get used to the size and weight eventually, and when skins are eventually available to cover it I will be much happier trying to hold it.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #19
Arjun1985
Arjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis
Looks like the cases are a big problem.. Started with <2 stars on Amazon... Mine is on way looks like will go back too..
Arjun1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #20
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
i just added a 2-star one although i'm unsure why i rated it that high. the blue color was nice and the texture is grippy and that's the only good thing i can say about it.

i just put in for a return and ordered this sleeve until 3rd parties take up the slack. hope the sleeve fits, the oasis is a tricky size:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 11-02-2017 at 01:07 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
oldhaggis
Enthusiast
oldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Sony T3, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun1985 View Post
Looks like the cases are a big problem.. Started with <2 stars on Amazon... Mine is on way looks like will go back too..
My Midnight Black is fine, strong magnets, maybe quality control?
oldhaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #22
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
My magnets (Black leather) are fair. Still comes loose too easily in my opinion. But why could they not make the stand have the book level? That drives me a bit nuts.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #23
selianth
Enthusiast
selianth began at the beginning.

Quote:
i just added a 2-star one although i'm unsure why i rated it that high. the blue color was nice and the texture is grippy and that's the only good thing i can say about it.
I agree that I love the blue color and the feel of the case, but the function is terrible. A couple times over the two days, when the Kindle has been sitting open on my desk (with the cover folded all the way back), I've gone to pick it up and just pulled the device right off the case and the rest of it sits there on the desk. I feel like the case doesn't ever sit up flush with the indent in the Kindle no matter how much I align it and push it in. So it's getting returned and I'll keep my eye out for 3rd party or Amazon redesigns.
selianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #24
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by selianth View Post
I agree that I love the blue color and the feel of the case, but the function is terrible. A couple times over the two days, when the Kindle has been sitting open on my desk (with the cover folded all the way back), I've gone to pick it up and just pulled the device right off the case and the rest of it sits there on the desk. I feel like the case doesn't ever sit up flush with the indent in the Kindle no matter how much I align it and push it in. So it's getting returned and I'll keep my eye out for 3rd party or Amazon redesigns.
My magnets were quite weak, but they seem to be actually strengthening a bit after two days of use.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #25
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

i've owned maybe a dozen kindles over the years and this is the very first one without a cover and it's a nightmare to use without one which puts it to sleep and wakes it up. i have to fumble around for the button to put it to sleep (i just now left it idle to see how long it took before it went to sleep and it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-6 minutes) and now waking it up takes a button press _and_ a swipe. i can only hope some 3rd party jumps into this profitable void before amazon regroups but somehow ii thought only amazon can make the covers with the magnets to sleep and wake the device.

/guy
Old 11-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #26
selianth
Enthusiast
selianth began at the beginning.

Quote:
and now waking it up takes a button press _and_ a swipe.
If you remove Special Offers, you shouldn't have to swipe to unlock. It will just wake up when you press the button.
selianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #27
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
i've owned maybe a dozen kindles over the years and this is the very first one without a cover and it's a nightmare to use without one which puts it to sleep and wakes it up. i have to fumble around for the button to put it to sleep (i just now left it idle to see how long it took before it went to sleep and it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-6 minutes) and now waking it up takes a button press _and_ a swipe. i can only hope some 3rd party jumps into this profitable void before amazon regroups but somehow ii thought only amazon can make the covers with the magnets to sleep and wake the device.

/guy
I've had quite a few third party covers for my Paperwhites and my Voyage that have the auto wake/sleep feature.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:08 PM   #28
gteague
Zealot

@shalym: good to know about the auto wake with 3rd-party cases. now it's just a waiting game. i've been trying it without the case today and the only place that gives you any grip at all is along the ridge on the side of the bump and that's next-to-none. i'm thinking of putting strip of gaffer tape on the back to have something, anything to give me some semblance of actually holding it.

@selianth: if i removed the special offers, could i use one of my photos for a screensaver? i didn't realize how annoying it is that it's always in your face without the case as they have literally never bothered me for a microsecond in the past--out of sight, out of mind. now that $20 to get rid of them is looking cheap.

/guy
Old 11-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #29
gteague
Zealot

godz, the more i try to use it without a case, the worse it gets. just now i wanted to go into the settings to see about the special offers and with the bulge on the right and trying to hold it on the left side so i could poke it with my right hand, it literally cannot be held that way. if you're not ambidextrous and can poke with your left hand, you have to flip it so that you can hold the wide part with your left hand and poke with your right.

what a total friggin' pain in the ass that they've rendered this thing nearly useless without a case and then fscked up the cases.

/guy
Old 11-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #30
Arjun1985
Arjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
@shalym: good to know about the auto wake with 3rd-party cases. now it's just a waiting game. i've been trying it without the case today and the only place that gives you any grip at all is along the ridge on the side of the bump and that's next-to-none. i'm thinking of putting strip of gaffer tape on the back to have something, anything to give me some semblance of actually holding it.

@selianth: if i removed the special offers, could i use one of my photos for a screensaver? i didn't realize how annoying it is that it's always in your face without the case as they have literally never bothered me for a microsecond in the past--out of sight, out of mind. now that $20 to get rid of them is looking cheap.

/guy
No you cant set a custom image as screensaver without jailbreak.. I have requested couple of times to Amazon to add as a feature, along with ability to use the active book cover as the screen saver. If you remove the ads Amazon has a rotating set of around 7-10 images.. But they are good ones though..
Arjun1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle, oasis 2017, release 2017, review