Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-29-2018, 07:49 AM   #271
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Broken Arrow is an appalling movie, so cheesy you could slice it, but it always puts a smile on my face.
A little cheese, now and then, is good for the soul.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #272
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

This reminds me, indirectly, of the movie Broken Arrow. (Mostly because John Travolta was also in a movie version of Battlefield Earth, though I've never watched it - 2.4 stars on IMDB, cout-em', two-point-four! One of the reviews says "true to the book" - maybe I'd like it after all ). Broken Arrow is an appalling movie, so cheesy you could slice it, but it always puts a smile on my face.
OMG, I almost got thrown out of the theater with that movie.

I mean, I can suspend belief to a certain point (enough to watch Star Wars, hah); but that movie was beyond the pale...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #273
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
Decided to to read a few chapters of Battlefield Earth just to get a feel for it. You know how a really good novel can give each and every character there one unique and distinct voice? Yeah not this novel, every character is just L. Ron Hubbard. Terl has already made refrence to using his security "technology". At least he hasn't shortened it to Tech yet.

That said the book does have a charm to it I have to admit. You can definitely tell this was written by someone with a talent for public speaking.
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #274
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
OMG, I almost got thrown out of the theater with that movie.

I mean, I can suspend belief to a certain point (enough to watch Star Wars, hah); but that movie was beyond the pale...
Ah, see, there you've got me. I've only ever seen the first two Star Wars movies. I tried one or two of the others but gave up and went looking for some properly ripe cheese instead.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #275
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Back to Warhammer. From what I've been seeing online the only books worth reading on the fantasy side are Gotrek and Felix, Malus Darkblade and Legend of Sigmar. Thoughts?

It does seem all of the best Warhammer authors gravitate to 40k.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #276
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yep, really liked that series.
I've read the first one and wondered if the others hold up. First one was really good!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #277
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I've read the first one and wondered if the others hold up. First one was really good!
It's been so long, I don't know how I would answer that. I have all 8 books in the series so it's good enough that I keep buying them. I guess it's time to do a re-read of the series. The first book came out in the early 80's.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:51 AM   #278
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's been so long, I don't know how I would answer that. I have all 8 books in the series so it's good enough that I keep buying them. I guess it's time to do a re-read of the series. The first book came out in the early 80's.
8 books! I've found 4! I have some catching up to do.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #279
OverHaze
Connoisseur

Can anyone recommend any "day before the apocalypse" style fantasy or Sci-Fi books? Normality slowly breaking down as the threat is becomes more and more apparent. Basically the first part of The Stand style stuff.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #280
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
Can anyone recommend any "day before the apocalypse" style fantasy or Sci-Fi books? Normality slowly breaking down as the threat is becomes more and more apparent. Basically the first part of The Stand style stuff.
Goodreads has a list of Popular Pre Apocalyptic Books.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #281
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle.
Quote:
The gigantic comet had slammed into Earth, forging earthquakes a thousand times too powerful to measure on the Richter scale, tidal waves thousands of feet high. Cities were turned into oceans; oceans turned into steam. It was the beginning of a new Ice Age and the end of civilization. But for the terrified men and women chance had saved, it was also the dawn of a new struggle for survival--a struggle more dangerous and challenging than any they had ever known....
It starts with the discovery that the comet will hit the Earth. An excellent book. The first third is the discovery, the second third deals with the impact and the last third with survival and recovery.
Apache

Last edited by Apache; 08-29-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:44 PM   #282
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Seveneves by Neil Stephenson has a similar setup to Lucifer's Hammer and is very good.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #283
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Ben Winters' "Last Policeman" trilogy. Good, if a bit depressing.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #284
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Ben Winters' "Last Policeman" trilogy. Good, if a bit depressing.
Not for me. I don't want depressing. I like my apocalypses cheery. That's probably why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which, was, if I remember the blurb correctly, "about the end of the world and the happy-go-lucky days that follow..."
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #285
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
I haven't read The Stand yet, but it sounds like you might be describing a book like "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. It's a good one. There are two more books in the series, "One Year After" and "The Final Day", but the first one deals with the pre-apocalypse and early post-apocalypse part.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote