Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Sideloading Fonts

my Oasis 3 is the first new Kindle I've had since the PW2. I love that we can load our own fonts now and I'm wondering if there's a Kindle font repository that has been created by users for some great fonts? thanks.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:25 AM   #2
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Hmm.

Not really aware of any Kindle e-ink font repositories. Perhaps someone else will know. Or you could start one here. I believe that Amazon added the custom font feature in mid-2018 (fw 5.9.6-ish).

Before that we relied on work by NiLuJe and ixtab, et al to customize fonts
e.g. FW 5.3.x - 5.7.x Fonts Hack
Notwithstanding the thread title, the above should work pretty well through 5.9.7 and perhaps with newer fw as well

Google Fonts has about 1,000 free, open source fonts. Albeit not specifically geared towards e-ink readers. And a quick Google search pulled up the resources below for a start:

Best places to find free fonts (Design Shack)
Best fonts for Kindle (Reddit)
Top 10 custom fonts for kindle (Epubor)

Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Hmm.

Not really aware of any Kindle e-ink font repositories. Perhaps someone else will know. Or you could start one here. I believe that Amazon added the custom font feature in mid-2018 (fw 5.9.6-ish).

Before that we relied on work by NiLuJe and ixtab, et al to customize fonts
e.g. FW 5.3.x - 5.7.x Fonts Hack
Notwithstanding the thread title, the above should work pretty well through 5.9.7 and perhaps with newer fw as well

Google Fonts has about 1,000 free, open source fonts. Albeit not specifically geared towards e-ink readers. And a quick Google search pulled up the resources below for a start:

Best places to find free fonts (Design Shack)
Best fonts for Kindle (Reddit)
Top 10 custom fonts for kindle (Epubor)

thank you for your help. I did the google search and found the same. there are a lot of fonts, but none that have been tried and are known to be good fonts for Kindles. I would like to find one that I like better than the known fonts, but it's a pretty daunting task to do so much testing. probably why a repository hasn't been started yet.

eta - though I didn't find those last two you linked. I will check those out.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
thank you for your help. I did the google search and found the same. there are a lot of fonts, but none that have been tried and are known to be good fonts for Kindles. I would like to find one that I like better than the known fonts, but it's a pretty daunting task to do so much testing. probably why a repository hasn't been started yet.

eta - though I didn't find those last two you linked. I will check those out.
My favorites are CharisSIL Modified Larger (http://www.mediafire.com/file/brs653...arger.rar/file),
DejaVu Serif Eink (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...93&postcount=1)
and LexiaDama (don't remember where I got it).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
My favorites are CharisSIL Modified Larger (http://www.mediafire.com/file/brs653...arger.rar/file),
DejaVu Serif Eink (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...93&postcount=1)
and LexiaDama (don't remember where I got it).
thank you!
Advert
Old 12-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Modified e-ink fonts

A Kobo thread, but you will also find Kindle-specific fonts there
And what looks good on another e-ink device will likely look good on Kindle as well.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One of the best fonts for use on a Kindle is ChareInk.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One of the best fonts for use on a Kindle is ChareInk.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
thank you!
Old 12-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thank you!
You're very welcome.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #10
chezz
chezz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Another nice free font for e-ink is Bitter ht:
https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/bitter
chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #11
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezz View Post
Another nice free font for e-ink is Bitter ht:
https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/bitter
thank you.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
thank you.
Before you install Bitter, you'll want to convert it from OTF to TTF. Otherwise you cannot increase the weight of the font should you want to using your Kobo Clara HD.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #13
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before you install Bitter, you'll want to convert it from OTF to TTF. Otherwise you cannot increase the weight of the font should you want to using your Kobo Clara HD.
thank you.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #14
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
my Oasis 3 is the first new Kindle I've had since the PW2. I love that we can load our own fonts now
Given that they added sideloaded font support a year or more back and the PW2 might just now be losing support for newer firmwares...
(Unless you got rid of the PW2 before sideloaded fonts were a thing, in which case nothing to see here, move along)
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
(Unless you got rid of the PW2 before sideloaded fonts were a thing, in which case nothing to see here, move along)
thanks. more like they both died of neglect.

I'm out of the kindle ecosystem now. fell hard for the Clara and neither the Oasis nor the PW4 hit a sweet spot for me. I tried but they just didn't fit my needs. the Oasis 3 had serious hardware issues so just returned it.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-14-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Tags
e-ink, kindle font