Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
mafi
mafi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Turn Clara into Kiosk Mode

Hi, i want to disable the touch functionality of my Clara. The idea is to create a solution/app and run it in Kiosk mode.

I was successful with the weather forecast app (yawk) and are now able to build my own python applications.

Any (dirty ) suggestions are welcome!

Best Regards,
Martin
mafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Since you mentioned dirty... I imagine patching Nickel so it grabs a bogus input device *could* work? (It depends on how gracefully it would handle that unexpected behavior).

But then that's an all-or-nothing approach, which might not be practical.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
mafi
mafi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Okay and how? Is there a Nickel "config file"
mafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope, binary patching .

Speaking of, a slightly less permanent approach could be to just patch out the EVIOCGRAB, and do that on your end, since I assume if you grab it, Nickel then gets the shaft (easy enough to double-check with two different evtest instances, the first one not grabbing, while the second one does. That does require Nickel to be down, since it currently does grab ;p).

I think @frostschutz has some experience with that, IIRC.

----

Otherwise, you could simply bypass Nickel, and boot into a custom app where you handle input as you see fit .
Old 07-02-2019, 06:34 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you can grab the touchscreen, my flashcard addon does it (runs an app with seamless transition, read book, study flashcard, read book, study ...)

if you want to kill the touchscreen entire I guess you could unbind the driver too but that's a one-way road

or you can just kill nickel altogether...? or replace the init (process 1) for a complete takeover [my MagicMemory addon kinda does that]

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-02-2019 at 06:37 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Speaking of killing, I also do not remember what happens if you simply SIGSTOP it...
Old 07-02-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I stop it as well (I think sickel along with it, I think there was a reboot problem at some point)

In general it works well but since you're shooting blindly it can be stopped in unopportune times (device was just about to standby, or wakeup, or go into usb mode, and bam - stopped).

but still fine, can't have everything ;-)
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clara, kiosk, python, touch