Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Side by side in regular lighting good enough for an old paperback book and "built in LED" at minimum, the PW3 screen looks brighter and sharper. I'd guess it's IR (no extra layers) and the PW4 might be capacitive (reflected light attenuated twice and the transparent conductive layers diffuse the light).
A friend bought the PW4, I bought the PW3 in October, because I thought the PW4 sounded gimmicky and cost reduced. The raised bezel, IMO, helps keep your fingers off the screen.

I have an original Kobo H2O and my first eReader was a PW2, replaced by a Kindle DXG (thought it would be better for PDFs, it's pretty poor for PDFs, I use a 10" LCD tablet if reading a long PDF can't be avoided. PDFs are NOT eBooks!).

I also have the Sony PRS350. Really the 5" Sony PRS350 in pocket and 6.8" Kobo H2O original (better annotation export than any kindle) is a good mix. However the Kindle PW3 might be the best all round reading only eReader. I use Calibre, so can read ePubs on Kindle and Amazon Kindle mobi/AZW3 on the Sony/Kobo/Nook/Binatone etc in ePub.
Or export to RTF, fix stupid formatting and recreate an ebook.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #17
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Libra H2O
My girlfriend has a PW3 and I bought a PW4 back in December '18, I can therefore make a side by side comparison.

I much prefer the contrast, colour and sharpness of her PW3. Its really much better in my humble opinion.
trcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
mergen3017, when you reply to a post, please quote it so we know who and what you are replaying to. Some of your messages make little sense because you did not quote.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:47 PM   #19
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
mergen3017, when you reply to a post, please quote it so we know who and what you are replaying to. Some of your messages make little sense because you did not quote.
OK!
I'll go and fix them now
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #20
730 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Forgot to reply but as can be seen in my profile I bought a PW3 some 2 weeks ago, thanks for the replies.
730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #21
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Side by side in regular lighting good enough for an old paperback book and "built in LED" at minimum, the PW3 screen looks brighter and sharper. I'd guess it's IR (no extra layers) and the PW4 might be capacitive (reflected light attenuated twice and the transparent conductive layers diffuse the light).
A friend bought the PW4, I bought the PW3 in October, because I thought the PW4 sounded gimmicky and cost reduced. The raised bezel, IMO, helps keep your fingers off the screen.

I have an original Kobo H2O and my first eReader was a PW2, replaced by a Kindle DXG (thought it would be better for PDFs, it's pretty poor for PDFs, I use a 10" LCD tablet if reading a long PDF can't be avoided. PDFs are NOT eBooks!).

I also have the Sony PRS350. Really the 5" Sony PRS350 in pocket and 6.8" Kobo H2O original (better annotation export than any kindle) is a good mix. However the Kindle PW3 might be the best all round reading only eReader. I use Calibre, so can read ePubs on Kindle and Amazon Kindle mobi/AZW3 on the Sony/Kobo/Nook/Binatone etc in ePub.
Or export to RTF, fix stupid formatting and recreate an ebook.
The PW 3 uses a capacitive screen just like all of the other paperwhites.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #22
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
FWIW, the International Voyage Woot was selling recently works fine with US 3G. The 3G in the kindles isn't supposed to turn on unless you are actively trying to download and wifi fails. The only difficulty that I had was that Amazon Customer Service had to register my unit on their end - I kept erroring out when I tried to do it myself.
I can confirm this to be true. I just bought a new Voyage (International 3G+WiFi), from Woot.com. Tried to register it, but had no luck until calling Amazon Customer Service. Using the device's serial number, the Customer Service rep successfully registered the Voyage to my existing Amazon account. And I'm currently downloading 2 dictionaries using the 3G cellular connection.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
homebrew, jailbreak, japanese, paperwhite