Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #31
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
all remains together! Do the try!
I tried it. That case seems to work well.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #32
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The latest version of the Kindle Previewer, 3.35, now supports widows and orphans. KPF files produced by that software include the KFX equivalents of these properties.
I did some further testing.

Besides supporting the widows and orphans properties in EPUB, KPR 3.35 also obeys the "Widow/Orphan control" in Word documents.

Prevention of widows and orphans is the default in Word. You need to uncheck it if you want to return to the previous Kindle rendering behavior. It is found in the Line and Page Breaks tab in Paragraph settings in MS Word.

Presumably the processing done by Amazon for uploaded Word documents now works the same way as the Previewer. This is something that those who publish directly from Word documents should be aware of.

Last edited by jhowell; 11-15-2019 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Reorder
Old 11-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #33
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

One other bit of news on this topic.

There is a discussion thread in Amazon's Kindle help forum where customers are expressing their unhappiness with the new widow/orphan behavior in the 5.12.2 firmware. One of the posters claims they were told by customer service that the "kindle team is working to resolve this issue through a new update, which should kick in in about a week".

I have my doubts. I believe that Amazon is going to fix the firmware, but are they going to revert to the prior behavior or just keep the new default and obey w/o overrides if present in content? Also, a fix in a week seems unlikely since Kindle firmware comes out approximately quarterly and 5.12.2 just came out about a month ago.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #34
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It does not work when displayed on Kindles running the latest 5.12.2 firmware because that KFX renderer it defaults to 2 and does not yet support the equivalent KFX property to modify it.
The 5.12.3 firmware released today still defaults for 2 for widows and orphans in KFX, but now allows that to be overridden by the formatting of the book.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The 5.12.3 firmware released today still defaults for 2 for widows and orphans in KFX, but now allows that to be overridden by the formatting of the book.
That's how ADE works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #36
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #37
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
What's the exact CSS to prevent widows and orphans altogether? Is it:
Code:
widows: 1;
orphans: 1}
?
I'm not a fan of the current behavior.
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #38
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerX View Post
What's the exact CSS to prevent widows and orphans altogether?
What you wrote will work, but technically you should have another semicolon at the end of the last declaration (before the closing brace).

By doing this you are allowing widows and orphans, not preventing them.

The next question is: where to apply it? Setting it as part of the styling for normal paragraphs would probably be best for most books. Alternatively, you could apply it to body elements and everything else will inherit it.

Last edited by jhowell; 12-07-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #39
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks for the reply. Going to experiment a bit, to see what I can live with. What a change and why now, Amazon? Ugh!
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:42 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
What you wrote will work, but technically you should have another semicolon at the end of the last declaration (before the closing brace).

The next question is: where to apply it? Setting it as part of the styling for normal paragraphs would probably be best for most books. Alternatively, you could apply it to body elements and everything else will inherit it.
Why do you need a ; after the last line in the class? Is this a Kindle thing?

I always put windows and orphans in body and it works for the entire book. Even if I'm converting to KF8 that's where it goes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #41
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

All I know is, I've been reading a series of urban supernatural fiction (think Harry Desden, but not..) and it's annoying the holy s**t out of me. I'm reading on my go-to, a Voyage, and every other damned page is short. SHORT, not merely "oh, that last widow or orphan is doing X." It's incredibly, incredibly annoying. It's not moving ONE damn line, it's moving paragraphs and it's starting to literally (not using that word like some tween teenybopper) make me grind my teeth when reading, which, obviously, is not really the desired result.

I'm sorry, oh-widow-and-orphan obsessives, but the widows and orphans were invisible. This crap is NOT.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #42
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why do you need a ; after the last line in the class? Is this a Kindle thing?
You don't need it. It works either way.

Quote:
I looked at the CSS specifications and I now believe that I was wrong about that.

Technically the semicolon is a seperator, not a terminator in a list of declarations. So leaving off the last semicolon might be considered to be more correct.

However, the parser to consume a list of declarations is supposed to do nothing when encountering semicolons so either way will work.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #43
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
All I know is, I've been reading a series of urban supernatural fiction (think Harry Desden, but not..) and it's annoying the holy s**t out of me. I'm reading on my go-to, a Voyage, and every other damned page is short. SHORT, not merely "oh, that last widow or orphan is doing X." It's incredibly, incredibly annoying. It's not moving ONE damn line, it's moving paragraphs...
I know from my testing that the KFX renderer will honor widows/orphans values up to around five. (I don't know the exact limit.) A book coded with those values will have some excessively short pages.

Would you mind sharing the ASIN for one of those books. I am curious whether it is a widows/orphans issue or something else.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #44
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I know from my testing that the KFX renderer will honor widows/orphans values up to around five. (I don't know the exact limit.) A book coded with those values will have some excessively short pages.

Would you mind sharing the ASIN for one of those books. I am curious whether it is a widows/orphans issue or something else.
Sure, PM'ed.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #45
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Sure, PM'ed.
Thanks!