Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
The dictionary you linked has an unsupported format.

However googling "Turkish to English Stardict dictionary" returns several results.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #17
Arrow245
Arrow245 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thank you Alberto, i can't tell how much you helped me! Thanks to penelope, i've finally managed to create an English-Turkish dictionary for the device. Doing what is told on http://www.albertopettarin.it/penelope.html, it worked great and i converted the stardict dictionary to dicthtml.
I should also say anyone who wants to use penelope, should do it in Linux rather than Windows.

Last edited by Arrow245; 03-10-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Arrow245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow245 View Post
I should also say anyone who wants to use penelope, should do it in Linux rather than Windows.
Why do you say that? Aside from the hassle of the installation of Python etc., there should be no difference. Did you experience problems under Windows?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
Arrow245
Arrow245 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Yes, i did. After installing Python in Windows, i tried over and over but it returned with errors which i don't remember right now. I did everything what was explained; downloaded the penelope files, installed python, entered marisa path into penelope.py but it failed. I'm not a power user, may be i missed something but with the same files under Xubuntu it worked smoothly.
Arrow245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #20
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

I see, probably your problems were related to Python/MARISA/etc. setup and/or the console encoding.

I definitely agree that using a Linux box goes around these issues easily, to the extend that I wrote in the official page:

Quote:
TECHNICAL NOTES The current version runs both under Python 2 or Python 3, and it has been tested under Linux (Debian, Fedora) and Windows (XP, 7). Unfortunately, since I do not have any financial support for the project, I cannot offer support for all the possibile values of the tuple (OS, Python version, console encoding). Therefore, only problems running Penelope in a Linux environment will receive full priority.
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #21
microspace
microspace began at the beginning.

Device: none
max size of dictionary

Hello.
What is the maximum size of dictionary supported?
Can I lookup in multiple dictionaries in kobo?
thank you.
microspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by microspace View Post
Hello.
What is the maximum size of dictionary supported?
What do you mean by "size"?

Number of bytes of the ZIP container? I have a working dictionary of ~120 MB.
Number of words in the index? I have a working dictionary with >200K.

There are no official specifications, so it is hard to give a definitive answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microspace View Post
Can I lookup in multiple dictionaries in kobo?
thank you.
I don't have my Kobo with me, but if I am not wrong, a query string is searched in all the dictionaries selective as "active" by the user (in the corresponding device settings).
Old 05-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #23
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Because Kobo dictionaries have a proper index, the size of the dictionary should not affect lookup times (too much). So please try it and see, and let us know how big a dictionary you can get working.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 AM   #24
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
My custom dictionary is 16.5mb.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #25
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Because Kobo dictionaries have a proper index, the size of the dictionary should not affect lookup times (too much). So please try it and see, and let us know how big a dictionary you can get working.
You are right. When I started making Japanese dictionaries (link), I was really surprised about the short processing time of the look up function. The first dictionary I made has 18+ Mb and consists of 64.103 html files. Gzipping and zipping on the pc took a lot of time. But you cannot feel any slowdown during look-up.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #26
microspace

kobo html support, searching

Thank you for reply.
I have a few more questions:
1) What is the level of HTML tags support in htmldict articles? Can I put there
a) tables
b) images
с) CSS-formatting

2) Is there fuzzy string match of levenstein distanse string match?

3) Can I use collations while searching?

3) Is there a chance to have stemmer?
thank you
Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #27
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

1) a) Not sure. b) No. c) No.
2) No.
3) Not sure.
4) No, but you can add stemmed words to your index, and "duplicate" the definitions. Clearly, there might be collisions (multiple distinct words being stemmed to the same radix).
Old 05-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #28
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Because Kobo dictionaries have a proper index, the size of the dictionary should not affect lookup times (too much).
True, but I feel like the words file (the index) is loaded into the Kobo RAM, so there might be some size limit w.r.t. its size (hence, its number of entries).

On the other hand, since the definition files are "on disk", I guess they can be arbitrarily large, yet upper bounded by the Kobo internal SD size.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #29
microspace

string matching

sorry for being annoying, but what actually happens when I search for a word which has no exact match in dictionary? For example I look for Lorens, but there is only Lorenz in dictionary. Will it tell me that there is no matching word, or it will show the closest match?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #30
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

It will tell that no exact match has been found, and it will show you the closest match.

I do not know the "exact" definition of the distance considered --- my guess is that it is the distance in the trie traversal. (E.g., the previous or the next word with common prefix w.r.t. the query string)