Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Youth Fiction Nominations & Vote • January 2018

Happy New Year everyone! Help us select what the MR Literary Club will read in January 2018!

The category for this month is:

Youth Fiction

Detailed nominating and voting guidelines can be found here. Simply put, nominations are open for three days and each person may nominate up to two literary selections which will go automatically to the vote. Voting then opens for four days and each person votes by post, receives a number of votes equal to the number of nominations minus one and may give each nomination up to two votes. Any questions, feel free to ask.

We hope that you will read the selection with the club and join in the discussion.

The floor is now open!

Nominations are closed. Voting is now closed. Final results-
  • A Song for Ella Grey by David Almond
    Post / Goodreads / 281 Pages / Votes- 0

• Postcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers
    Post / Goodreads / 358 Pages / Votes- 2

• A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes
    Post / Goodreads / 237 Pages / Votes- 4

Last edited by sun surfer; 01-08-2018 at 02:39 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Happy New Year! I have been looking forward to this category since it is unique to anything we've had in the past.

I nominate A Song for Ella Grey by David Almond.

From Amazon US:
Quote:
Written in lyrical prose, this novel for fans of epic romances and mythology retellings explores themes of love, loss, fate, and destiny set against the dramatic and diverse backdrop of Northern England.

David Almond, recipient of the prestigious Hans Christian Andersen Award, a Printz Honor for Skellig, and the Printz Award for Kit’s Wilderness, has crafted an enchanting modern take on the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice.

Claire and Ella and their friends are bound by ties so strong they seem unbreakable. Then the strange and handsome Orpheus strolls onto the beach, and he sings them all into an astonishing new understanding of themselves. Ella is caught the hardest, fastest, deepest—and Claire is left with the pain of looking on.

Raw, emotional, lyrical, funny, and true, A Song for Ella Grey is a tale of the joys, troubles, and desires of modern teens. It takes place in the ordinary streets of Tyneside and on the beautiful beaches of Northumberland. It’s a story of first love, a love song that draws on ancient mythical forces. A love that leads Ella, Orpheus, and Claire to the gates of Death and beyond.
I also nominate Postcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers, winner of the 1999 Carnegie Medal and 2003 Michael L Printz award.

From Goodreads:
Quote:
Seventeen-year-old Jacob Todd is about to discover himself. Jacob's plan is to go to Amsterdam to honor his grandfather who died during World War II. He expects to go, set flowers on his grandfather's tombstone, and explore the city. But nothing goes as planned. Jacob isn't prepared for love--or to face questions about his sexuality. Most of all, he isn't prepared to hear what Geertrui, the woman who nursed his grandfather during the war, has to say about their relationship. Geertrui was always known as Jacob's grandfather's kind and generous nurse. But it seems that in the midst of terrible danger, Geertrui and Jacob's grandfather's time together blossomed into something more than a girl caring for a wounded soldier. And like Jacob, Geertrui was not prepared. Geertrui and Jacob live worlds apart, but their voices blend together to tell one story--a story that transcends time and place and war. By turns moving, vulnerable, and thrilling, this extraordinary novel takes the reader on a memorable voyage of discovery.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree Bookworm_Girl- I really like the uniqueness of this category. I wasn't really sure exactly what the parameters were (adult books with a focus on youth? children's books? young adult books?) so I just went with 'all of the above' when looking around. I was especially reminded of What Maisie Knew and wondered how well that would've fit.

I nominate A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes. From Goodreads:

Quote:
After a terrible hurricane levels their Jamaican estate, the Bas-Thorntons decide to send their children back to the safety and comfort of England. On the way their ship is set upon by pirates, and the children are accidentally transferred to the pirate vessel. Jonsen, the well-meaning pirate captain, doesn't know how to dispose of his new cargo, while the children adjust with surprising ease to their new life. As this strange company drifts around the Caribbean, events turn more frightening and the pirates find themselves increasingly incriminated by the children's fates. The most shocking betrayal, however, will take place only after the return to civilization.

The swift, almost hallucinatory action of Hughes's novel, together with its provocative insight into the psychology of children, made it a best seller when it was first published in 1929 and has since established it as a classic of twentieth-century literature - an unequaled exploration of the nature, and limits, of innocence.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Nominations are closed and voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly four days from this post.

Each person has TWO votes to use.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
As usual, I came in too late for the nominations. Well, that’s my own fault. However as a fan of Youth Fiction—sometimes, but not always described as Young Adult works. I’ll use the term “Young Adult” as I’m more used to it. I’ll address myself to Sun surfer’s legitimate question. It has been defined as literature which is aimed at a younger reader while not necessarily excluding older readers.

It should deal with tensions, experiences and problems which are relevant to a younger person. Twelve has been mentioned as a possible starting point or perhaps first year in secondary school. My experience in teaching such works leads me to prefer the latter. However, I have definitely come across younger children quite capable of reading YA books with enjoyment. And here I would emphasise a very important point. A fine YA book can be read with equal and even greater immersion and depth by an adult. This point was made by C S Lewis regarding children’s literature and applies equally well to the genre under discussion here.

Let me give some examples of literary YA works. Alison Uttley’s novel A Traveller In Time is one such. The book creates a powerful ambience of another time. It focuses a historical tragedy through the perspective of a sensitive young girl. The characters are well drawn and sympathetic. I think it has the capacity to give the reader an unforgettable experience.

Tom’s Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce is another. Here there is no tragedy—rather a probing of a relationship over a time sequence with an absolutely beautiful bittersweet quality. Penelope Lively has written in the genre as well. The Ghost of Thomas Kempe won the Carnegie Medal and the even more beautiful A Stitch In Time won the Whitbread. Both of these—and especially the latter—are novels which are most certainly literary. The same could be said of the original ”Earthsea” trilogy by Ursula LeGiun. They are books which are aimed at younger readers—again I have taught them with some success at Junior Secondary School and rate them—particularly the magnificent second book—The Tombs of Atuan with its brilliant symbolism and exploration of the nature of evil, as very very fine indeed.

Now, as to What Maisie Knew, it is certainly not a YA novel. It is an adult novel concerning adults and their relationship to a child. It is not presented with any intention of being read by a young person with a view to deepening their experience of life. At senior level I have taught Henry James and my approach has always been as an adult dealing with the adult life-experiences that James so powerfully presents. My experience of reading (and teaching) adult works does not, of course, demean or lessen the specific quality and power of the joy provided by reading the YA works cited.

I think I originally suggested this genre and I should have been more specific about what I meant by it. But personally I think that both of you have come up with excellent choices.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 01-05-2018 at 02:51 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’ll vote for A High Wind In Jamaica.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the great explanation! I had no idea that Penelope Lively wrote those books! I never associated her with children's literature. Interesting.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
fantasyfan
Wizard

You’ll find either of those books by her well worth reading. 😊 She has done others as well.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
1 vote for A High Wind in Jamaica.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I give one vote to A High Wind in Jamaica. All three books sound almost equally interesting to me and I'm going to give my other vote to one of the others; I'm just not sure which yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
As usual, I came in too late for the nominations. Well, that’s my own fault. However as a fan of Youth Fiction—sometimes, but not always described as Young Adult works. I’ll use the term “Young Adult” as I’m more used to it. I’ll address myself to surfer’s legitimate question. It has been defined as literature which is aimed at a younger reader while not necessarily excluding older readers.

It should deal with tensions, experiences and problems which are relevant to a younger person. Twelve has been mentioned as a possible starting point or perhaps year in secondary school. My experience in teaching such works leads me to prefer the latter. However, I have definitely come across younger children quite capable of reading YA with enjoyment. And here I would emphasise a very important point. A fine YA book can be read with equal and even greater immersion and depth by an adult. This point was made by C S Lewis regarding children’s literature and applies equally well to the genre under discussion here.

Let me give some examples of literary YA works. Alison Uttley’s novel A Traveller In Time is one such. The book creates a powerful ambience of another time. It focuses a historical tragedy through the perspective of a sensitive young girl. The characters are well drawn and sympathetic. I think it has the capacity to give the reader an unforgettable experience.

Tom’s Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce is another. Here there is no tragedy—rather a probing of a relationship over a time sequence with an absolutely beautiful bittersweet quality. Penelope Lively has written in the genre as well. The Ghost of Thomas Kempe won the Carnegie Medal and the even more beautiful A Stitch In Time won the Whitbread. Both of these—and especially the latter—are novels which are most certainly literary. The same could be said of the original ”Earthsea” trilogy by Ursula LeGiun. They are which are aimed at younger readers—again I have taught them with some success at Junior Secondary School and rate them—particularly the magnificent second book—The Tombs of Atuan with its brilliant symbolism and exploration of the nature of evil, as very very fine indeed.

Now, as to What Maisie Knew, it is certainly not a YA novel. It is an adult novel concerning adults and their relationship to a child. It is not presented with any intention of being read by a young person with a view to deepening their experience of life. At senior level I have taught Henry James and my approach has always been as an adult dealing with the adult life-experiences that James so powerfully presents. My experience of reading (and teaching) adult works does not, of course, demean or lessen the specific quality and power of the joy provided by reading the YA works cited.

I think I originally suggested this genre and I should have been more specific about what I meant by it. But personally I think that both of you have come up with excellent choices.
Thanks for the thoughtful post, fantasyfan! I'm also a fan of YA and now I know 'Youth Fiction' is a synonym for just that. Honestly then, I'm not sure how well A High Wind in Jamaica fits but we'll let the vote decide. You've also given me some more YA books to look into here for my own tbr, and I see now why What Maisie Knew wouldn't fit this category at all.

Also, based on your post, I think perhaps we should add an extra day to nominations. What do all of you think? We could add a day to nominations and either shorten voting by one day to three days to keep the same timeframe or also keep voting at its usual four days and so have an extra day for our selection process.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

1 vote for A High Wind in Jamaica.

I don't know which to choose for my other vote!

Here are some interesting articles on the history/evolution of young adult fiction. I like the timeline in the Real Simple link.
https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/arti...t-fiction.html
https://www.realsimple.com/work-life...-adult-fiction
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/15/living...ion/index.html
Old 01-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I give my last vote to Postcards from No Man’s Land (tough choice though!).

Thanks for those links, Bookworm_Girl. That timeline is interesting. I wouldn’t have guessed librarians created the term Young Adult. I read a couple of the seminal books mentioned there for the first time in the last few years - The Outsiders and The Chocolate War - as well as A Separate Peace and I Capture the Castle which I think are other fine examples.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I will give my last vote to Postcards from No Man's Land too.

I'm pretty sure we read A Separate Peace in high school but don't remember anything about it! There was a show on TV last year where Rob Lowe toured the house from The Outsiders movie, which has now been turned into a museum, and met with the author.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #14
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Voting is finished and the winner is A High Wind in Jamaica!

I'll have the discussion thread up soon.

Bookworm_Girl, I watched that movie after reading the book. I would've never guessed the house from it would be a museum, and after just now reading the wikipedia page on it, how it came to be a museum is just as interesting.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I have checked out the book from the library, but I have to finish my current book first! I am reading A Green and Ancient Light by Frederic S. Durbin. It is a fantasy set during WWII England featuring a boy sent to live in the country with his grandmother and appears to fit into the young adult category. I think it would appeal to members of the literary club.

I am also listening to Turtles All the Way Down by John Green for entertainment during the daily commute. I thought it would be nice to pick out an audiobook by a contemporary young adult author to supplement this month's category. It is set in Indianapolis (where John Green lives) and is about a teenage girl trying to live the normal life of a high school student while struggling with anxiety and compulsion disorder.