Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
iain robinson
Connoisseur
iain robinson began at the beginning.

Device: none
Superscript problems with Kindle/Kindle DX

Hi all

I'm having problems with a job which requires ePUB and mobi files - the superscript elements (endnote markers) are causing larger than normal gaps between the lines in Kindle Previewer when viewing as Kindle or Kindle DX devices. Other Kindle devices and the ePUB is fine.

Initially I was making text superscript by using a span tag (class="superscript") and using the usual CSS declarations which I use successfully for ePUB to make it superscript. This didn't work for the old Kindle devices so I tried the <sup> tag, with and without CSS to try and solve the problem but without success.

Does anyone have some magic CSS which will solve the problem for old Kindle devices? I've looked around the web a lot and seen lots of discussion of this issue but no solutions.

If it is not possible I will just have to have the endnote markers non-superscript (eg, [1], [2] etc) but would be happier with superscript ones.

thanks,
Iain
iain robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by iain robinson View Post
Does anyone have some magic CSS which will solve the problem for old Kindle devices? I've looked around the web a lot and seen lots of discussion of this issue but no solutions.
I guess there's no such thing, because old mobi format (the one used by Kindles) does know nothing about CSS. All the CSS support you can see is in the converter, which takes your input file and transforms it into mobi HTML-like code. As far as I know there's nothing in mobi code that allows you to control line spacing, so what you see is just normal and expected behaviour (it's usually the same in ePub and HTML+CSS, unless you change the default settings). The solution, as you say, is either not using superscripts or just living with that.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
iain robinson
Connoisseur

Thanks Jellby - I thought that was probably the case but I just thought I'd check with the experts before I decided for sure.

cheers,
Iain
Old 03-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
I would have expected that reducing the font size of the text inside the superscript element would be sufficient, but it does not appear to be. Perhaps KindleGen is enforcing a minimum font size percentage or something....
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
iain robinson
Connoisseur

I did play around with that but I still ended up with bad line spacing. I've given up - I'm just putting them in square brackets (not superscript), which is a shame but I can't spend any more time trying to get it to work.
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No need to spend a single second trying to "get it to work". You simply can't do anything about it with the older mobi format. Superscript = increased line spacing. Period. Same thing with raised (large) caps. Nothing to be done.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Since the Kindle system fonts cover all Unicode superscript numerals (⁰ ¹ ² ³ ⁴ ⁵ ⁶ ⁷ ⁸ ⁹ *), which don't affect line spacing, it'd would be theoretically possible to replace regular superscript numerals with their superscript Unicode equivalents. However, since the glyphs for 1-4 and 5-9 are apparently provided by different system fonts, this would only work for single digit footnotes or maybe multiple asterisk footnotes.

IMHO, this would be overkill since the number of non-KF8 compatible Kindles is most likely negligible and there are far worse compatibility issues.

(The test file was compiled with Kindlegen 1.1; the source files are embedded.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	superscript.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	103402  
Attached Files
File Type: mobi super.mobi (6.2 KB, 201 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
iain robinson
Connoisseur

Thanks. That's interesting to know, but a bit of a faff. This job has a lot of notes.

Tags
kindle, mobi, superscript