Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 02:19 AM   #181
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Same here. That's one of the things I like about Baen: their books are $6.00, not $5.99. For everyone that "99" fools, there are probably two people who say "oh, another weasel." And not many people want to do business with weasels.
Baen are probably about the best example of a modern distribution model. No DRM, region restrictions (geographic restrictions) and a competitive price. Baen does not hid behind the fallacy that it must protect hardcover book sales either.

It would be nice if the Agency 5 publishers follow their example but I am not holding my breath on that hope.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #182
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Under the Covers View Post
Actually, I'm one of those oddballs who would rather see a nice honest $3 price. Anyone who has actually worked with budgets and dollar amounts automatically rounds up or down, and I always recognize such a price as yet another form of trickery (pronounced "be on alert for theft of wallet"). On the rare occasions now when I run into a vendor who sells items for an honest price, I compliment that vendor and am much more apt to go back.
Thanks for that - I will price my book at $3-00. I like the idea, and it had not occurred to me that some people would look at the 2.99 as "weasel pricing".

If I could figure out to whole Creative Commons License thing (free) and reconcile that with Amazon's matching discounts policy that's what I'd really like to do. Haven't figured it out - is there an expert in the house?

Down Right Malevolent (DRM)
simonroyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #183
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
If it were true that two people rejected x.99 prices over "x+1" integer for every buyer then the trend would end. It was established because it works. It may not work on you but you cannot extrapolate that to the general public. I personally don't think "weasel." It is ubiquitous. I unconsciously round up.

I haven't seen any studies showing "x+1" sells better than x.99 but we know the reverse is true, there were studies proving x.99 worked.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #184
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
If it were true that two people rejected x.99 prices over "x+1" integer for every buyer then the trend would end. It was established because it works. It may not work on you but you cannot extrapolate that to the general public. I personally don't think "weasel." It is ubiquitous. I unconsciously round up.

I haven't seen any studies showing "x+1" sells better than x.99 but we know the reverse is true, there were studies proving x.99 worked.
Negative political advertising works, too; people buy elections. That doesn't mean I have to fall for it. I have become resistant to commercials of all types. The harder someone tries to sell me something, the more strongly I resist.

I resist the dumbing down of our culture, including this bit of trickery. I actually remember when most pricing didn't include this sleight of hand, and the vendors still managed to sell their products and even accumulate wealth.

The author is perfectly free to choose to follow this bit of market research, but I've found that many people have not even thought about the issue. In a real world situation, I truly doubt that one penny would deter a buyer who is interested in your product, although if the same book were actually displayed side-by-side with both prices, many might choose the $2.99 book.

I personally prefer easy subtractions in my checkbook and have been known to tell the vendor to keep the penny -- which, of course, produces priceless reactions.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #185
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
As far as prices side by side ... well, I play World of Warcraft, which means I buy things off the in-game auction house. If something's 10 gold and 9.99 gold, I'll buy the 10g one -- and tell both vendors why. I doubt if it does any good (the weasel instinct is strong) but it makes me feel better.

It's difficult to tell if 2.99 works better than 3.00. There are more factors involved in a purchasing decision than price. In a simple real-world example, I have often paid more for a product on eBay, Amazon, etc., because the seller had a better rating. One of the things I'm buying is some assurance that the seller will actually send me what I bought and it won't be broken. Price, and whether or not it looks like he's trying to weasel me, is part of the seller's reputation. Companies spend a lot of money buying reputation -- they don't sponsor sporting events, for instance, for the love of it. To me, whether or not they choose to price their products in a way that makes them look like weasels is a part of that reputation. Sure, I might buy from a weasel -- if I need a widget and all the widgets are 2.99, I'll pay 2.99 -- but I'm still going to think "they're weasels" somewhere in my head. They're throwing away my goodwill after trying, via advertising and sponsorship, to buy it. (of course, since I see the sponsorship and image advertising for the cynical, hollow efforts that they are, they don't work very well on me either; I may just be a lost cause)

I do know, though, that one of the reasons I actually enjoy buying books from Baen is their simple $6 (or $5 or $4) pricing. It makes them look honest. Honest pricing will get far more of my business than sponsoring every golf tournament on the planet ever will. (besides, I hate golf)
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote