Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #136
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My almost nine year old daughter loves our Asterix and Obelix series. She also enjoys the Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:55 AM   #137
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Have you come accross the books of Enid Blyton?

DEfinitely not scary and there are loads of them.

They were a children.s staple in the 1950's and are still very popular today.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:43 AM   #138
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Have you come accross the books of Enid Blyton?

DEfinitely not scary and there are loads of them.

They were a children.s staple in the 1950's and are still very popular today.
They can be considered problematic today, so I'd head over to FadedPage and check them out there first. Basically, they're very whitebread - often set in pre-war middle class Britain. While there's no overt racism I recall, the bad guys are usually 'other'.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:59 AM   #139
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
They can be considered problematic today, so I'd head over to FadedPage and check them out there first. Basically, they're very whitebread - often set in pre-war middle class Britain. While there's no overt racism I recall, the bad guys are usually 'other'.
The racism and xenophobia may not have been explicit, but it was just barely implicit - VERY well lampooned in parodies like "Five Go Mad in Dorset"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:07 AM   #140
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The racism and xenophobia may not have been explicit, but it was just barely implicit
I've read one Blyton, "Island of Adventure". There's one Black character, and if you had a bingo card with racist stereotypes you'd have yelled "Bingo" before finishing the first chapter he appears in.

Quote:
VERY well lampooned in parodies like "Five Go Mad in Dorset"
I remember seeing that one, hilarious!
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:00 AM   #141
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
The racism and xenophobia may not have been explicit, but it was just barely implicit - VERY well lampooned in parodies like "Five Go Mad in Dorset"
Another issue with these books is the class snobbery.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #142
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Does anyone else here remember Walter R. Brooks and the Freddy the Pig books? One of my co-workers says that she picked up a couple of them for her 8 year old daughter but was appalled by the racism in them. My memories are rather vague since I read them decades back but I don't remember any racism, speciesism perhaps.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #143
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Another issue with these books is the class snobbery.
I saw a great quote about historical figures, which likely applies to fiction written in a previous eras - "You are a tourist visiting the past, don't act like the ugly American mad because they don't have McDonalds."
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #144
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I saw a great quote about historical figures, which likely applies to fiction written in a previous eras - "You are a tourist visiting the past, don't act like the ugly American mad because they don't have McDonalds."
Nice one. Well put.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #145
adamsmitt
adamsmitt seems famous, but is in fact legendary.adamsmitt seems famous, but is in fact legendary.adamsmitt seems famous, but is in fact legendary.adamsmitt seems famous, but is in fact legendary.adamsmitt seems famous, but is in fact legendary.adamsmitt seems famous, but is in fact legendary.adamsmitt seems famous, but is in fact legendary.adamsmitt seems famous, but is in fact legendary.adamsmitt seems famous, but is in fact legendary.adamsmitt seems famous, but is in fact legendary.adamsmitt seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: none
Hi there. I am a big fan of Harry Potter and I think lots of people can say that it can be a classic.
adamsmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #146
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If your niece likes horses at all then the Saddle Club books might be a hit? I devoured them as a child. There's horses, mystery, adventure, friendship.

As for if Potter will be a Classic or not... they're fine books but I think it's too early to say. Many books loved by one generation are forgotten a few generations down the line even if they were great in their heyday and got people reading.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #147
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
My almost nine year old daughter loves our Asterix and Obelix series. She also enjoys the Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne.
The Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton might suit her. I tried it and was surprised at how creative it is.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #148
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
There are also the "classics": Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #149
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
As a child, I loved Blyton and others, but one book which always stayed in my mind was The Silver Sword. I think I was maybe 9 or 10 when I read it. Loved it.
https://www.penguin.com.au/books/the...-9780141362649
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:39 AM   #150
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
As a child, I loved Blyton and others, but one book which always stayed in my mind was The Silver Sword. I think I was maybe 9 or 10 when I read it. Loved it.
https://www.penguin.com.au/books/the...-9780141362649
I remember watching the television serialization of it as a child. on UK television Unfortunately for whatever reason I missed the last few episodes.