Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #46
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
I have Likebook Ares and Alita with Android 6.
Both currently work great with 512 GB SD cards, although the description says max 128 GB.
I have no idea if it will also be the case after an (expected) update to 8.1, so I prefer to avoid it.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #47
E_inkFuture
E_inkFuture began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestfelix View Post
In the end, it doesn't really matter if there are people who do not need Android 9. The problem is that Onyx promised an update to Android 9 and customers bought their fairly expensive products under this pretension. This is not ok and even if you don't need Android 9 (right now at least) we should call Onyx out for this shady behavior. I find it especially appalling because they pulled the exact same thing in the past.
Agreed. Android 9 gave me some greater peace of mind for the longitivity of the device as far as app compatibility and security. Also, after I bought their flagship boox note pro for $600, they almost immediately come out with the note 2, a straight up replacement. It basically just feels like they want our money, which isn't hard in this sparse market, instead of trying to build up any brand loyalty with customers. Why promise anything?

They still make decent, functional devices. I just doubt I'll be dropping that kind of money again.
E_inkFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #48
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updates only make sense if they fix a deficiency.
But if there is no deficiency, then an update is nonsense.

And a reader is not a smartphone with which you could possibly do banking (security concerns)

Last edited by ottischwenk; 09-14-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #49
E_inkFuture
E_inkFuture began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro
Android 6 is a deficiency; and logging into anything that logs personal data is a security concern.
E_inkFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #50
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_inkFuture View Post
Agreed. Android 9 gave me some greater peace of mind for the longitivity of the device as far as app compatibility and security. Also, after I bought their flagship boox note pro for $600, they almost immediately come out with the note 2, a straight up replacement. It basically just feels like they want our money, which isn't hard in this sparse market, instead of trying to build up any brand loyalty with customers. Why promise anything?

They still make decent, functional devices. I just doubt I'll be dropping that kind of money again.
I have 4 onyx devices, and only bought 1 new. As such, I don't expect them to be state of the art, and Im accustomed to finding old apks.

But I can see how after spending 600$ I would be unhappy not to get a promised update. But I know onyx. I wouldn't expect them to keep the promise.

One point is that onyx pitch their devices as readers, not tablets, so not being compatible with a later app is not a point to criticise them.

But the fact they promised an upgrade is a critism. Inexcusable. And they won't release sources to let the community do it. But it doesn't much affect me personally, and I knew what to expect so I'm not bothered. But if I'd bought a new 10" device, and I took onyx's word on the upgrade, I would disgruntled to say the least.

So I like onyx devices. I regret none of my purchases. But if boyue can improve their products, I will consider boyue next time.

But onyx have the best product, and they know it.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 09-14-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #51
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Android 6 is a deficiency; and logging into anything that logs personal data is a security concern.
Everywhere you can go you can get in.
Every opening is a security risk.
So switch off every connection to the outside world!
Old 09-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #52
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
So I like onyx devices. I regret none of my purchases. But if boyue can improve their products, I will consider boyue next time.

But onyx have the best product, and they know it.
I prefer Boyue products because of storage options.
Boox is limited.
Likebook allows SD and USB OTG - i used a 4TB NTFS Harddisk.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #53
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I prefer Boyue products because of storage options.
Boox is limited.
Likebook allows SD and USB OTG - i used a 4TB NTFS Harddisk.
Another point in Boyue's favor, but Onyx Neoreader is more important for me to read comics. I need the split pane functionality to divide comic pages into smaller pieces. Onyx continues to win, for me at least.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #54
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Another point in Boyue's favor, but Onyx Neoreader is more important for me to read comics. I need the split pane functionality to divide comic pages into smaller pieces. Onyx continues to win, for me at least.
I only use the NeoReader when I want to scribble in anything other than pdf - so almost never.
So that's how often I use my Boox Nova 2. I use the Ares in the 7.8 inch size and the Alita in the 10.3 inch size.
The NeoReader is not used in my Poke 2 either.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #55
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Quote:
Not really. As I said before, it depends what you use the device for.

Personally I'm using my Boox devices primarily to read and annotate (with stylus scribbles) documents. For this NeoReader is usually all I need. For comics I sometimes use FBReader instead. I also use Kingsoft Office and iA Writer on the devices with a bluetooth keyboard. Very occasionally I might use Chrome browser or Google Drive to access a remotely stored document, but most of the time I either transfer documents via Wi-Fi Transfer on my home network from my Mac, or USB connection.

I suppose if you were using a Boox in a way that required regular remote network connections, then you might worry about security more. For me, Android 6 is fine. Even the Android 4.0.4 on my Max (1) is sufficient for reading, scribbling, and typing with a keyboard.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:54 AM   #56
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
Not really. As I said before, it depends what you use the device for.
I suppose if you were using a Boox in a way that required regular remote network connections, then you might worry about security more. For me, Android 6 is fine. Even the Android 4.0.4 on my Max (1) is sufficient for reading, scribbling, and typing with a keyboard.
It is possible that newer Android versions can be transported on older hardware, but not particularly useful, since these versions are designed for more powerful elements by default.
Normally, this results in a deterioration in performance - but there could perhaps be exceptions.
Boox was so smart and so far has not worsened their good products by senseless and unnecessary Android updates.
A newer Android is available for the more powerful hardware.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:14 AM   #57
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Quote:
Boox was so smart and so far has not worsened their good products by senseless and unnecessary Android updates.
Then why promise an update?
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:15 AM   #58
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4H35H View Post
I don't know, so I can only give my opinion: because it was thought that it would bring improvements.
But the fact is: I have Poke Pro (a Boox Android 6 device) and Poke 2 (a Boox Android 9 device).
The performance of both devices is the same, although the Poke 2 has a much more powerful hardware.
This means that the operating system of the Poke 2 on the hardware of the Poke Pro would result in a significant deterioration in performance.
Keeping such a promise would not be a good idea.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:32 AM   #59
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4H35H View Post
Promising customers random things is a standard marketing strategy to create the illusion of future-proof spending. That's all.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #60
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
It is possible that newer Android versions can be transported on older hardware, but not particularly useful, since these versions are designed for more powerful elements by default.
Normally, this results in a deterioration in performance - but there could perhaps be exceptions.
Quote:
No, there is a big difference between Boox Android 6 and Android 9 devices.
Quad Core 1,6 GHz vs Octa Core 2 GHz
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
the rock chip from note and max 2, is more than enough to offer android 9
the gap between RK3288 and 625 is not that big.
I suppose I'll have to read about it. I have not noticed any reports of Boyue devices upgrading to Android 8 being slower. In fact I checked the Boyue update to 8.1 thread and there are many reports of devices updated to 8.1 being faster than 6, and certainly none of it being slowing. In fact someone received a new Likebook Mars with 8.1 pre-installed, and reports it being very fast. I think the Mars is an older generation than the Nova and Poke Pro, so I expect them to run 8.1, and perhaps 9 too, without any slowing of operation.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 09-15-2020 at 05:08 PM.