Old 06-26-2017, 05:49 AM   #1
font332
Connoisseur
font332 began at the beginning.

Device: kpw2
Tables in DOC's converted from HTML scrolling only left & right

Hello

The situation looks like this.

I have a file, a book, which is just a website mirror DOC file, that was a HTML file, that I changed the extension to DOC.
The text in that file/on that website, unfortunately is in one table object, and I can't scroll down this table, only left and right.

Maybe I could write a suggestion of fixing it to the Amazon, maybe they don't know that there is such issue?

Or maybe there is easy solution to that?

Last edited by font332; 06-26-2017 at 08:52 AM.
font332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Your description of the problem is unclear. You converting from HTML to DOC and then doing what that involves Amazon?
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
font332
Connoisseur

@jhowell
I have edited the post.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by font332 View Post
@jhowell
I have edited the post.
Still unclear.

Just changing the extension does not change the internal format of the file.
It is still whatever it was before you changed the extension.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I still do not understand so I am going to bow out and leave this for someone else to answer.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Let me see if I understand you.
You have an HTML file that you changed the name of the extension to doc.
Did you do this?
Filename.HTML right click rename Filename.doc
Your file is still an HTML.
Not an Amazon problem

I do have a solution if it is possible. Can you open the file, then open a word processor and cut and paste it all into a document?

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 06-26-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:25 AM   #7
font332
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Let me see if I understand you.
You have an HTML file that you changed the name of the extension to doc.
Did you do this?
Filename.HTML right click rename Filename.doc
Your file is still an HTML.
Not an Amazon problem

I do have a solution if it is possible. Can you open the file, then open a word processor and cut and paste it all into a document?
I apologize for not being clear.
Yes, that's what I did, and I know that it's still a html file, that just kindle can open and read because of DOC extension.
I can open the file and do it as You told, but the thing is, I have like a thousands of such files that are just a websites mirror, which unfortunately the content have been inserted in the table.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:33 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Load the HTML file into Calibre and convert it to Mobi/AZW3 format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moved to the "Kindle Formats" forum, where discussions of Kindle eBook formats belong.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:31 AM   #10
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
I have a file, a book, which is just a website mirror DOC file, that was a HTML file, that I changed the extension to DOC.
The text in that file/on that website, unfortunately is in one table object, and I can't scroll down this table, only left and right.
Renaming the file just changes which apps will try to open it, or what format they assume it is. The real format is unchanged.

Word docx is a zipped archive including xhtml. So something that can read docx can probably cope with html. But it isn't really a docx, so cannot expect it to work perfectly.

Open the html file in Word and "save as" a real docx file.

Quote:
I can open the file and do it as You told, but the thing is, I have like a thousands of such files that are just a websites mirror, which unfortunately the content have been inserted in the table.
Trying to read thousands of pages of tables on a Kindle seems a painful exercise. Tables on a small screen.....

Anyway, you could import batches of html into Sigil, save as an epub, convert to AZW3 with the Kindlegen plugin or Calibre.

Last edited by AlanHK; 06-29-2017 at 03:41 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:09 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Anyway, you could import batches of html into Sigil, save as an epub, convert to AZW3 with the Kindlegen plugin or Calibre.
No need for that, even. Zip up all the HTML files, import the ZIP file into Calibre, and convert to Mobi/AZW3.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:05 AM   #12
font332
Connoisseur

I apologize everyone, now I only realized that I made one more maybe crucial mistake. The thread name and all the words "DOC" should actually be "TXT", everywhere I meant txts...
I think I did the mistake one of the reason because on my kindle, all the txt files are labeled "DOC".

Anyway, the point in brief was, if I am able to scroll left and right in such files the table, why it's not possible to scroll up and down and why not to ask Amazon if they could see if the reason is an easy thing to fix.

The conversion although seems like a good idea, because the file weight is the same, it's not so good(easy) when there is hundred of files, spread in hundred folders and subfolders.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK, now your thread makes sense. Yes, the Kindle has always supported displaying HTML files renamed to have a ".txt" extension. Tables in HTML has always been flaky on the Kindle - as previously mentioned, your best bet is to convert them to a format which supports them better, such as KF8, but displaying large tables on a 6" reader is never going to be a rewarding undertaking.

Tags
amazon, doc, html, kindle, table