Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 12-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Marvin 3.1

Today's update brings Goodreads integration to Marvin, as well as more refinements and fixes. I hope you enjoy it. Here's everything that's new:
  • New: Goodreads integration to shelve books, post quotes, and post status updates.
  • Updated: New menu behaviour when sliding a book in list mode.
  • Updated: EPUB page accessories and headers & footers settings have been merged into one menu.
  • Fixed: When tapping on an entry in your journal, a blank screen was shown.
  • Fixed: In book text selection menu wouldn’t update when new text menu commands are added or reordered while reading.
  • Miscellaneous performance improvements and fixes.

Visit blog.appstafarian.com for detailed notes about using Goodreads in Marvin.

I've also written a quick tutorial on using Goodreads in Marvin 3.1. You can check it out here.

If you have a moment, please remember to rate and review Marvin. It really helps a lot.

Happy reading.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When are we going to get ADE page numbers instead of the number of screens?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Come on Jon....don't start this again...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Come on Jon....don't start this again...
We have a new release that's not just a bug fix release and still don''t get the features we've been asking for. I was hoping this was on the to-do list. Obviously not. And I don't understand why as it would make Marvin a lot more useful. Number of screens is useless.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When are we going to get ADE page numbers instead of the number of screens?
And now I feel a headache coming on
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
alok
alok began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Is there a way to send your reading progress to goodreads? The ideal (for me) would be for marvin to send reading progress to goodreads every time I close the book and have actually read at least one page.
alok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
alok

Also, calibre has a plugin to import goodreads IDs, and marvin may be able to read that metadata instead of making users manually link books. I know I'm not looking forward to linking a few hundreds books.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
alok

Great update overall, though. I'm writing a good review right now.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
I completely agree with alok. As of right now this GR integration just isn't that useful to me without being able to share my reading progress. If that can be added that would be awesome. I don't need it to be page numbers though. I think page numbers are useless in ebooks. I like sharing my progress as a percentage. I don't keep my entire library in M3 so while having to link books individually isn't ideal I won't mind having to do it. However, I already have GR IDs linked to all of my books in Calibre. Are GR IDs are written into the metadata? If they are it'd be great if M3 could read that info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
Spfamy1
Connoisseur
Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: iPhone 6s Plus
Kris thanks for fixing the scrollbar issue I spotted a while ago. Nice to scroll libraries independently regardless of which version of Marvin 3 has primary focus on the iPad Air 2 in split screen mode.
Spfamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #11
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
I don't find ADE page pseudo-numbers, being fully arbitrary, useful. Instead, please fix the feature already available in Marvin: "pages left in chapter" and "pages left in book" should be treated in the same way (as number of screen flips on the current device). Thank you.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #12
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Thank you.

Last edited by Loosheesh; 12-09-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:59 PM   #13
AVassilakas
AVassilakas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Upgraded but problem with authentication

when i try to link to goodreads it takes me to a blank webpage on goodreads ( irrespective of from the book settings or i long tap a book for book options )

i've looked at goodreads on the web and can't see any services/apps that refer to Marvin

any suggestions? All i want to do is synch up my reading progress...

BTW - really getting to love Marvin <-> Calibre. so much happier than using my kindle...
AVassilakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:54 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I don't find ADE page pseudo-numbers, being fully arbitrary, useful. Instead, please fix the feature already available in Marvin: "pages left in chapter" and "pages left in book" should be treated in the same way (as number of screen flips on the current device). Thank you.
Number of screens is worthless. Change an option and change the page number. ADE page numbers do not change when you change options. Also, if you are reading with Marvin and an ADE based Reader or program, then you can easily switch from one to the other. It's all about what's best and ADE page numbers are a lot more useful than useless screens.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
JKenP
Connoisseur
JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Kobo iPhone Kindle 8 HD
Why are we resurrecting this argument? I use Moon Reader Pro on my Android tablet. The metadata reports page numbers which I rightly/wrongly assume came from the hardcover edition but could have been from a number of other editions with a different page count. However, it reports similar data to Melvin when reading -- chapter page info and % read.

Moon is the top rated reader on Android. It does the same thing Melvin does. "Real" page numbers do not exist with electronic displays. You will see they don't even match between different print editions. You can't program the impossible.

Last edited by JKenP; 12-08-2016 at 10:53 AM.
JKenP is offline   Reply With Quote