Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's no linkjail folder for the 2.x JB, so that explains at least that .

Was the ss hack install successful? (Re)move your current linkss directory, and try to reinstall the hack, without touching the (new) linkss directory until you're sure everything's working.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
... (Re)move your current linkss directory, and try to reinstall the hack ...
@sleeplessdave: Because you do not wish to reload all of your screensaver images, either choose the move option suggested by NiLuJe, or you should first move your screensaver images to a safe location outside the linkss directory, before removing linkss.

@NiLuJe: So far, I mostly use my Kindle 3's. I did not notice the missing linkss directory on my DX or DXG. I think it may be easier to notice these differences when you are one of the persons responsible for them.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-01-2011 at 12:10 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #18
sleeplessdave
sleeplessdave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Ok it seems like the easiest thing is the one that takes the longest, so I have reset the Kindle to the factory default. Essentially it's now a new Kindle DX graphite. Before trying to transfer anything or do anything else, since it's wiped totally clear of all hacks, which should I use in what order? I know moving the documents is just a matter of dropping them in the new documents folder, but when the hacks work, where should the screensaver folder go now? Basically, I submit to the wisdom of the Kindle hacking gurus and want kind of a list of what to do in order so what I may get back to the business of creating absurd amounts of screensavers and thanking to the high heavens my good friends on this board for not treating me like a maniac for doing that. Thank you all so much!
sleeplessdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #19
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, as I understand it, factory reset does NOT remove all traces of hacks. NiLuJe can probably point you to a link where this was discussed...

There might be a little additional manual cleanup required before or after you do a factory reset. I would wait for additional advice from NiLuJe first...
Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #20
sleeplessdave

Oh wow, never would have thought of that, good call. Ok, the Kindle is factory reset with no content transfer as of yet. I wait upon your wisdom!
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #21
geekmaster

NiLuJe made some useful comments about restoring to stock firmware in this currently active thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158849
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #22
sleeplessdave

Huh well I'm not sure what versions of the hacks I did have on there and now that I've restored it's kind of impossible to tell. I guess I'll just try the new versions and see if it works or not.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #23
sleeplessdave

IT WORKED!!! I just went ahead and reinstalled the new hacks and we're good to go now! THANK you all for your help and patience!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #24
Spotsmom
Spotsmom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 WiFi
Having the Same Problem

Off the MobileReads website, I downloaded the correct .bin file for the DXG. I also downloaded a "linkjail" folder as instructed by them (from their src folder). I put both of these on the DX. Then I unplugged, went to Upgrade My Kindle, it went through all its stuff, and opened the Home page. I turned it off, then on and the original screensavers are still there.

I connected to the computer again and couldn't find any folder where those horrible original screensavers are!

After updating, the following folders are on the DXG:

.active-content-data
audible
documents
music
linkjail
screen_saver (which I created with 2 screensavers in it)

I know that on my K3 the hack worked great and I could access a screensaver file that had all that junk in it to delete.

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks!
Spotsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
graphite, kindle dx, screensavers, transfer new kindle, version 2.5.8