Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #16
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearcus View Post
Hi all,

I'm afraid I've not really looked any further into this after the initial experiments detailed above. The changes necessary to the tolino kernel to get the microSD card mounting were reasonably straightforward. The next part though... to make the setup stable so it boots reliably every time is beyond me and requires a good kernel developer, most likely with some experience on this iMX platform.

If anyone wants to step up on that front, I'll see if I can dig out a set of diffs for the changes I applied to (sometimes) get past the microSD boot and into the next set of kernel level problems...

Mike
Hey Mike, Yes sure, I'd appreciate if you can provide me with that.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #17
snowbody
snowbody began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
howto boot android on the kobo mini

get hardware config from original kobo mini (sd card is mmcblk1)
dd if=/dev/mmcblk1 of=kobo_mini_hw_config.img skip=524272 bs=1 count=67

write hw-config
dd if=kobo_mini_hw_config.img of=/dev/mmcblk1 seek=524272 bs=1

modify
u-boot-2009.08
/include/configs/mx50_rdp.h

(line 159)

"bootargs_base=setenv bootargs root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 console=ttymxc0,115200 rootwait rw noinitrd init=/init video=mxc_elcdif_fbffff lpj=3997696\0"\

--build u-boot--
sh build_mddr_256.sh

(select E50610 / KX2G323PC)

modify kernel (this is the tolino kernel)
kernel_imx/arch/arm/mach-mx5
(line 2826)
add following lines
// SD3 should be enabled in E50612 (internal SD)
mxc_iomux_v3_setup_multiple_pads(mx50_sd3_enable_p ads, \
ARRAY_SIZE(mx50_sd3_enable_pads));
// SD2 should be disabled in E50612 (WIFI interface)
mxc_iomux_v3_setup_multiple_pads(mx50_sd2_disable_ pads, \
ARRAY_SIZE(mx50_sd2_disable_pads));
// SD1 should be disabled in E50612 (N/A)
mxc_iomux_v3_setup_multiple_pads(mx50_sd1_disable_ pads, \
ARRAY_SIZE(mx50_sd1_disable_pads));

#make uImage

write U-boot
dd if=u-boot_mddr_256-E50610-K4X2G323PC.bin skip=2 of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=512 seek=2

write kernel
dd if=uImage of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=512 seek=2048

It boots android, but touchscreen is still wonky....
snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #18
snowbody

android on kobo mini OK

I've to add a line to my previous post :

modify kernel (this Gibek kernel)
(line 2826) of mx50_rdp.c

I did a test with the android kernel of Marek Gibek.
Everything works OK now.

Still have a problem accessing the first partition (which is seen when you plug the device into a windows computer) ....
Old 08-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #19
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbody View Post
I've to add a line to my previous post :

modify kernel (this Gibek kernel)
(line 2826) of mx50_rdp.c

I did a test with the android kernel of Marek Gibek.
Everything works OK now.

Still have a problem accessing the first partition (which is seen when you plug the device into a windows computer) ....
Oh cool
Can you give me the image (output) of what you have? (kernel and firmware etc.) Thanks

So Android is working now? touch works?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-25-2016 at 10:07 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #20
snowbody

write hw-config to your kobo-image

you can find compiled stuff here :
http://78.20.2.172:8080/uImage
http://78.20.2.172:8080/u-boot_mddr_...K4X2G323PC.bin

write U-boot
dd if=u-boot_mddr_256-E50610-K4X2G323PC.bin skip=2 of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=512 seek=2

write kernel

touchscreen works OK

could not access the vfat partition, but you can mount it within android.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #21
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
I was able to get vfat and USB to work by simply modifying vold.fstab and changing the internal sd card line to mxsdhci.2 instead of what was there before.
markyisri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:13 AM   #22
snowbody

Thank you for the top-tip!
Are you interested in the dual boot image (android /linux) ?
If so : it would be cool to have an android apk that executes a script (boot linux)
(I have limited android knowledge)

The linux image works in hostmode, and allows you to use a normal usb-keyboard and mouse. From what I understood in this forum, the android version does not handle hostmode, and one has to compile an apk to handle the serial port gps data, whereas in linux you can just start gpsd that listens to /dev/ttymxc0.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #23
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you interested in the dual boot image (android /linux) ?
If so : it would be cool to have an android apk that executes a script (boot linux)
I don't think we can dualboot on Kobo Mini, because 1. it doesn't have an external SD Card, and 2. Nickel would have to share the partition with Android's half-different and half-same filesystem layout.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #24
markyisri
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyisri View Post
I was able to get vfat and USB to work by simply modifying vold.fstab and changing the internal sd card line to mxsdhci.2 instead of what was there before.
I should point out that this was with the new improved reading image. Also, I just used the prebuilt Mini kernel and uboot that you provided (I did not build my own).
Old 09-14-2016, 03:37 AM   #25
snowbody

I already posted how to dual boot on the kobo mini. (look in forum)
The only thing I do not have is a nice app under android, which says : boot-linux
But it is already possible by manually executing the script under android!
Old 09-14-2016, 08:04 AM   #26
markyisri
Connoisseur

Quote:
I already posted how to dual boot on the kobo mini. (look in forum)
The only thing I do not have is a nice app under android, which says : boot-linux
But it is already possible by manually executing the script under android!
I see that you are mounting the sdcard like I did before I fixed vold.fstab:

mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 /mnt/sdcard

What if you change vold.fstab's partition selector from auto to 6?

The dualboot looks neat, I'll have to try it (maybe, I only have a 4GB SD card).
Old 09-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #27
markyisri
Connoisseur

Tolino app on Kobo Mini

Has anyone been able to change language inthe Tolino App on the Kobo Mini?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #28
markyisri
Connoisseur

Quote:

write hw-config to your kobo-image

you can find compiled stuff here :
http://78.20.2.172:8080/uImage
http://78.20.2.172:8080/u-boot_mddr_...K4X2G323PC.bin

write U-boot

write kernel

touchscreen works OK

@idoit @snowbody

Your links are broken, do you (or someone else) have a mirror?

Really need this stuff now.

Tags
android, kobo, kobo mini, mini