Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
16-17 inch Ipad Pro?

Sometimes I use ipad 12.9 for reading, it is nice in terms of running quickly, different texts at the same time, many other features.

What I lack are two things:

1. Bigger screen. Once I was choosing between smaller and larger version of ipad, I was afraid that the bigger one would be too clumsy or too big. But 12.9 finally turned out to be no big at all, in my experience, and after some time it began to feel like it can be bigger. As the screen is bigger in 15 inch Macbook Pro, with the exception that I did not need the keyboard in some tasks, and that the screen in MBP is not the touch screen.

2. Mac's Notebook with the detachable screen, as in Microsoft's Surface Book 2, but with Mac's quality and the screen touch operation. From my personal experience with the latest Macbook Pro's screen, it feels better to the eyes that the Surface Book 2's screen, but what Mac lacks is the option of the detachable screen and the touch option.

In some tasks the notebook's keyboard is not quite required, so the autonomous screen would serve all the needs.

Who may need such a big screen? Well there is a whole array of tasks, when one needs to keep a large screen, on which simultaneously a few windows are opened side by side, and also you can take notes. For many such tasks stylus is enough, keyboard not needed.

Conclusions:

My needs would be filled with either Ipad of 14-15 inch with the capacitative screen with the detachable smart keyboard

and/or

with the Apples' analogue of Microsoft Surface Book 2 (with the option of the additional detachable plastic keyboard, which would be of lighter weight than the regular aliminium keyboard with the additional videocard).

Again, why am I not quite satisified with the Microsof Surface Book 2. First I have the 13 inch model, its screen is thicker that the Ipad's one and Macbook Pro's one. It is getting warmer than the Ipad, not hot, but sometimes it raises some concerns. Also, the screen is not as good as the Apple's ones. I am going to put up that it is headache to run Win programs on MacBook Pro.

I would rather have a detachable "Mac Pad Pro" device, since it is easier to find the way to run Win programs under it, than on Ipad's system. Yes, there are some programs made only for Windows. So, the Mac Pad Pro 14-15 inch would be a better option for me than 14-15 inch Ipad Pro Plus, unless the later also runs Mac's OS.

Last edited by xtech; 01-10-2019 at 03:04 PM.
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Everyone has their specific needs and wants when it comes to tablets and computers. I think companies try to decide what will sell and what won't, and design their hardware accordingly. I remember thinking how cool it would be to have a touchscreen laptop that could fold the keyboard around behind like the Yoga 2 models from Lenova. I thought I would use the touchscreen all the time. Then I bought a Yoga 2 11 a few years ago and quickly learned that using the touchscreen was terrible, at least compared to an iPad. But as far as iPads go, I find the lack of mouse support a bit frustrating at times. With fat fingers I find I sometimes spend way more time getting the iPad to do what I need it to do than I would on my MacBook Pro. For example, trying to edit a spreadsheet on my iPad Pro, even with the Apple Pencil, is a lesson in frustration! I can get the same edits done on my MBP in a fraction of the time. But honestly, I think it is more about using the best tool, tablet or computer, for each task. I thought adding touchscreen capability to a laptop was a smart idea, but it turned out to be nearly useless n my case. I suspect adding mouse control to an iPad would be disappointing as well because iOS is simply not designed around the idea of using mice. It seems rather disappointing when they try to combine the great feature of tablets and laptops into a single device type. So I use my iPads/iPhones when they are best for the task, and I use my MBP or a PC when it is best for the task. Hopefully some smart designers will one day figure out how to create one piece of hardware that does everything great, but I'm not too optimistic that will ever happen.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
But honestly, I think it is more about using the best tool, tablet or computer, for each task. I thought adding touchscreen capability to a laptop was a smart idea, but it turned out to be nearly useless n my case. I suspect adding mouse control to an iPad would be disappointing as well because iOS is simply not designed around the idea of using mice. It seems rather disappointing when they try to combine the great feature of tablets and laptops into a single device type. So I use my iPads/iPhones when they are best for the task, and I use my MBP or a PC when it is best for the task.
This pretty much.

The thing is adding touch support to a desktop OS didn't magically make the millions of existing programs touch-optimized for finger input and neither will adding mouse support to the iPad going to magically make the millions of iOS apps play nice with a mouse.

Besides, if you squeeze a motherboard with Intel CPU, storage, etc. into the display portion of a MacBook in order to get a "Mac Pad Pro", that device isn't going to run cool or remain thin, either. Current tech's just not there yet.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Until we reach the ability to have a computer like the one in Star Trek that can actually talk and hear properly, the perfect device won't exist for me. Voice and AI are still way too dysfunctional IMO. I still remember the scene from Star Trek 3 or 4 where Scotty is trying to talk to a 1980s computer using the mouse like a microphone! Epic fail of course.

Actually the best UI for a computer would be one that could be controlled directly by our brain (thoughts). I seriously doubt I will live long enough to see one that actually works well though. The speed of our thoughts is much faster than our mouths can talk or our hands can type. Our brains are working at the speed of electrons, which in Trekkie lingo is Warp One, the speed of light. Our mouths and hands are probably closer to the speed of snails by comparison.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that with the Surface Book 2 the Microsoft actually went ahead of Apple. Since it is clear that sometimes folks do not need the whole notebook, but the screen alone is enough, for reading or watching movie, while on the other hand, in some other tasks the keyboard is very much needed. And logically, that in a great number of cases, it is better to have one device than two separate devices.

Besides, it was clear that bigger screens are also in needed, so 15 inch was also provided.

Now waiting for the adequate response from the Apple.
Advert
Old 06-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, while I prefer Windows on my desktops and laptops, I find Windows 10 leaves much to be desired when one simply wants to use a tablet. I much prefer two separate devices than one that's poor to mediocre at both (ugh, Surface Pro).

As it is, I don't believe demand for the iPad Pro 12.9 is particularly huge for Apple to release an even bigger model separately. That said, I remember doing the math before and the Pro 12.9 without bezels is around 14" and is almost perfectly the size of letter-size paper. I can see Apple replacing the current Pro 12.9 with that.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-08-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtech View Post
I think that with the Surface Book 2 the Microsoft actually went ahead of Apple. Since it is clear that sometimes folks do not need the whole notebook, but the screen alone is enough, for reading or watching movie, while on the other hand, in some other tasks the keyboard is very much needed. And logically, that in a great number of cases, it is better to have one device than two separate devices.

Besides, it was clear that bigger screens are also in needed, so 15 inch was also provided.

Now waiting for the adequate response from the Apple.
Apple won't respond because most of their customers likely don't want that kind of one device for all tasks solution since it has too many compromises. I prefer choosing my laptop and tablet and smartphone separately. There is no one size fits all solution, so Apple wisely won't try to provide one. They have made it clear that iPads have their purpose, iPhones have their purpose, and computers have their purpose, and they intend to keep them separate.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
xtech
Zealot

Quote:
Apple won't respond because most of their customers likely don't want that kind of one device for all tasks solution since it has too many compromises. I prefer choosing my laptop and tablet and smartphone separately. There is no one size fits all solution, so Apple wisely won't try to provide one. They have made it clear that iPads have their purpose, iPhones have their purpose, and computers have their purpose, and they intend to keep them separate.
Well, we'll see. I hope Apple will overcome those artificial limits and fears, and will come up with the solid analogue of Surface Book 2. The example of Microsoft, who did not give up on their first, not very successful version, but made the second, shows clearly that there is a high international request for those devices. So, Apple, go ahead!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
You can, of course, use a keyboard with an iPad. That's how I use my iPad at work. Is it just as good as a macbook pro for all tasks? No, but I have an iMac 5K as my home computer and an iPad Pro 12.9 for my mobile use. I use to carry a macbook pro, but stopped carrying it several years ago. The iPad did just as well for the vast majority of tasks that I used my macbook pro for so I was carrying the extra weight and never using it.

Apple tends to try to find that sweet spot for customer usage. Even after being available for several years and having a massive media blitz, the Microsoft surface is still far, far below both the mac and the iPad in terms of sales. Microsoft sells around a million surfaces per quarter while Apple sells some 14 million iPads per quarter. I just don't see a compelling case for Apple to sell a surface like tablet/laptop. That's not to dismiss your preference, of course. Your preference is just as good as anyone elses, but I don't think the numbers support what you want.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Lol, true. Goodness knows there's plenty of Mac users very much against the iOS-ification of MacOS. Frankly, thus far I've found Windows 10 to be an awful tablet OS. Most Surface owners I know just use it as a laptop, not a tablet.

Besides, the separation is a good way for Apple to sell you a $1000 phone, $1000 tablet and $2000 laptop/desktop.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #11
xtech
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
No, but I have an iMac 5K as my home computer and an iPad Pro 12.9 for my mobile use. I use to carry a macbook pro, but stopped carrying it several years ago. The iPad did just as well for the vast majority of tasks that I used my macbook pro for so I was carrying the extra weight and never using it.

.... I just don't see a compelling case for Apple to sell a surface like tablet/laptop.
So, you have two devices: macbook pro which you no longer carry with yourself, because it added the extra weight. So, you turned to 12.9 device, which does not have that weight.

Now, consider the following: at home or work you continued to use macbook pro, but then instead of buying a separate devices, what you'd have to do was simply to deattach the sceen/tablet from the "macbook pro" and carry that anywhere. And then when you needed more processor/video power, you attached it back and used it as the regular notebook.

Simple logic. Crystal clear.

In Surface Book 2 the keyboard has some processor or additional video card power inbuilt, so it is like a more powerful notebook. But with it I do not need the additional tablet, I just remove the screen/tablet from the keyboard, and it is fully functional standalone stuff.

I need the same for Mac, with Macs display quality and processing power in certain tasks.

Last edited by xtech; 06-10-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
So, you have two devices: macbook pro which you no longer carry with yourself, because it added the extra weight. So, you turned to 12.9 device, which does not have that weight.

Now, consider the following: at home or work you continued to use macbook pro, but then instead of buying a separate devices, what you'd have to do was simply to deattach the sceen/tablet from the "macbook pro" and carry that anywhere. And then when you needed more processor/video power, you attached it back and used it as the regular notebook.

In Surface Book 2 the keyboard has some processor or additional video card power inbuilt, so it is like a more powerful notebook. But with it I do not need the additional tablet, I just remove the screen/tablet from the keyboard, and it is fully functional standalone stuff.

I need the same for Mac, with Macs display quality and processing power in certain tasks.
Again, not with current technology, it can't. The Surface Book 2 is still primarily a laptop which can be used as a (poor to mediocre) tablet. It's just much better than the Surface Pro on the laptop front.

There's a reason why Apple uses ARM on their tablets. x86 just uses too much power and requires better cooling. If Apple used ARM on their laptops though, they'd be pretty much killing x86 software compatibility.

Also, you're ignoring the software side. iOS apps were designed with touchscreen devices in mind and it took years before we got the wealth of iPad-optimized apps available in the App Store. If and when Apple ever decides to merge their laptop and tablet product line, there's bound to be teething pains.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #13
xtech
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Again, not with current technology, it can't. The Surface Book 2 is still primarily a laptop which can be used as a (poor to mediocre) tablet. It's just much better than the Surface Pro on the laptop front.
Well, tests and experience tell us that it is a very powerful notebook. And the screen itself quite a powerful tablet.

Quote:
There's a reason why Apple uses ARM on their tablets. x86 just uses too much power and requires better cooling. If Apple used ARM on their laptops though, they'd be pretty much killing x86 software compatibility.
Cooling, yes, I wish SB2 had a better cooling. But certainly I do not use it as much as I use desktop. So, Apple is supposed to offer something better.

Quote:
Also, you're ignoring the software side. iOS apps were designed with touchscreen devices in mind and it took years before we got the wealth of iPad-optimized apps available in the App Store. If and when Apple ever decides to merge their laptop and tablet product line, there's bound to be teething pains.
Surely, there are growth challenges The only point is not to say why we cannot, to complain and to find the excuses for not doing it, but to try to find the way how to do it. This is approx. what Steve Job used to say

No need to replace anything, but to add. So, Microsoft also has its own other regular notebook models, and other regular tablets models.

Last edited by xtech; 06-10-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

Well, actually I had 3 devices, a macbook pro with a keyboard case, a iPad Pro 12.9 and an iMac 27". The iPad Pro worked better to carry around with me and the iMac worked better at home, so the macbook pro simply wasn't being used.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:04 AM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Surely, there are growth challenges The only point is not to say why we cannot, to complain and to find the excuses for not doing it, but to try to find the way how to do it. This is approx. what Steve Job used to say
We don't know what's going on at Apple's R&D. For all we know, they're already working on something right now.

I expect we'll see a product when the tech is actually ready and there aren't a lot of compromises like there are with Windows-based 2-in-1s (SB2 included). The SB2 may be powerful but software kinda sucks for tablet use (with finger input) beyond video streaming.

All the power in the world is kinda moot without good UI and UX.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-11-2018 at 12:06 AM.