Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhites 2013 and 2015, Nook Glowlight, iPhone, etc.
Apple Watch Reading App??

Other than the - IMHO - ridiculous Wear Reader 1.1.0 (Apple Watch) any reading app being discussed for the Apple Watch, epub or kindle or pdf ...?
allisondbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I don't think that the Apple Watch is really designed for long interaction apps like reading apps. It's more for apps that only take a few seconds to interact, such as checking the weather, or reading a text.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2015, 02:31 AM   #3
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Thanks pwalker8: I know your points and its limitations - I own one and love it - and I DO use it to read off NYTimes, CNN, WSJ, etc. and if an app allowed one to smoothly scroll - albeit continuously - while imperfect it would be great for standing in line, in the ladies' room, etc. in a "better than having to pull out phone and can't stand doing nothing" kind of way.

So thanks, but question still open if anyone happens to know if any kind of reading app might be on the way. Alley
Old 05-15-2015, 02:57 AM   #4
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Glose

http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...e-apple-watch/
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
As Nate alludes to, Spritz would be a natural extension of reading to any smartwatch:

http://www.spritzinc.com/
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2015, 12:37 AM   #6
allisondbl
Connoisseur

Following up: thewitt and tomsem: thank you! I appreciate the above suggestions a lot!

Checked them out and they're really neat apps, BUT I'm afraid STILL don't work for me as, to be honest, to me as implemented on the Apple Watch they're NOT "reading" they're kind of ... flashcards. Both use "speed reading" technology on their Apple Watch app which just flashes one word at a time across the screen.

READING to me is MY moving my eyes across word after word and creating the worlds or images in my head. Not having the words moved for me. That uses the video part of my brain not the reading.

I am NOT telling the world how to "read" and I'm sure there are people who would use and appreciate this kind of tech/app. But honestly I already read too fast for these to be of any help and even with at least one app allowing the speed to be sped up, as noted I see this as kind of shape video and NOT reading a book.

In reply to those who say, "can you really read a page on the watch?" as noted I already read news on a dozen Watch apps and find it just fine for when you're waiting in a line or in some way stuck and don't want to be holding a phone. It's brilliant! And the first Watch update makes 3rd party apps much faster to load so it's even better.

But I'd still love to be able to READ - say using an endless scroll technique - a book.

I'll keep bumping this in case someone finds such an app before I do.

Always and seriously, thanks for all the information: did not know about Glose or digital-reader and even if they're no good for ME, hopefully someone else who finds my search may find help for themselves with your suggestions.

Kudos!

Alley
Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
I would contact one or both of these companies and let them now you want a different presentation method for the scrolling text. They are so close today, they may be able to offer that as an option and be on the market with a revision in a few weeks...

Good luck.
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Glose is garbage. Stay away from it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:58 AM   #9
allisondbl
Connoisseur

JSWolf: I totally agree: glose is crap. Still NO scrolling reading app. This really does surprise me.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:56 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisondbl View Post
JSWolf: I totally agree: glose is crap. Still NO scrolling reading app. This really does surprise me.
Doesn't suprise me. The watch screen is too small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #11
mattcurtis
Book Lover, Dev of Hyphen
mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone (Hyphen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Glose is garbage. Stay away from it.
Ouch. Why do you say that?

Edit: referring to the iOS app, that is...
mattcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcurtis View Post
Ouch. Why do you say that?

Edit: referring to the iOS app, that is...
Ignore him. Jon dug up an old thread for no reason.

He's trolling.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote