Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I dont see how you can steal information on the internet.
Information is not copyrighted. If I see a news story anywhere I can talk about it on my channel for example.
When you pretend you have a news "scoop" and you fail to report where you found it, that's sleazy. Normally when someone talks about a news story they'll say, "I saw in the Washington Post that ..." or something to that effect. You credit your sources. That's the right way to do it.

Not only does GoodEReader NOT credit their sources, they make up fake "insider" sources to try to give their "news" stories credence. That's doubly sleazy.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #17
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Information is not copyrighted. If I see a news story anywhere I can talk about it on my channel for example.
Unless something is common knowledge, whenever you directly borrow ideas or wording from another source, proper journalistic etiquette demands that you identify the source from whence the information came. Adding a link to that source, whenever possible, is also highly recommended.

To do otherwise is to be guilty of plagiarism which seriously undermines a journalist's or blogger's credibility.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #18
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
actually, that was my story - every store I have seen has the Nooks moved to the CS kiosk in the back
I’m lucky then. In my city it’s still very visible in the store front and center but the employees don’t know jack. The lady sold me a nook glowlight 3 that was an empty box. It was the dang box for the display model. Lucky I had her open it in front of me before paying and leaving the store
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
So they are sometimes right.
and a broken clock is right twice a day

it's still a broken clock
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:19 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I’m lucky then. In my city it’s still very visible in the store front and center but the employees don’t know jack. The lady sold me a nook glowlight 3 that was an empty box. It was the dang box for the display model. Lucky I had her open it in front of me before paying and leaving the store
you are lucky - a bunch of people here have reported that their local B&N store no longer has a Nook kiosk
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:45 AM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Since when are websites not copyrighted? You can even formally register them. Or blogs, for example.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #22
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Since when are websites not copyrighted? You can even formally register them. Or blogs, for example.
I'm not talking about original copyrighted content. I'm talking about information. For instance if I have a date of a product release or information about it and someone reads it. I would not expect them to cite the source where hey got it. It's general information. Now if one was gonna write a paper on Bengal tigers, yeah you would have to citte sources where you got it. But that's academic. But if a company releases a street date for something and everyone has that info I don't see a problem. Now if these guys were copying an article word for word that is different story. To be honest though the ereader world is so small and sales have dropped off so severely (due to other devices and ereader tech pretty much hitting a ceiling) I'm surprised anyone would dedicate a blog or YouTube channel to them any longer.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
But if a company releases a street date for something and everyone has that info I don't see a problem. Now if these guys were copying an article word for word that is different story. To be honest though the ereader world is so small and sales have dropped off so severely (due to other devices and ereader tech pretty much hitting a ceiling) I'm surprised anyone would dedicate a blog or YouTube channel to them any longer.
And if the company has not released a street date or any information at all? If someone, say on Mobileread, mentions having heard a rumour that a new device will be released in the near future? So either I use my imagination to write some click bait or I don't bother to attribute the source of my information while doing a word for word quote?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I'm not talking about original copyrighted content. I'm talking about information. For instance if I have a date of a product release or information about it and someone reads it. I would not expect them to cite the source where hey got it...
Fine, fine, fine. Giving them that (though it still seems sleazy to me), there's still a problem that they are an unreliable source of information.

Since they don't cite their sources, tend to report everything (including April Fool's jokes) as fact and don't later mention that they got it wrong, I find I can't trust anything they say.

They seem to report a new Kobo reader on the way six times a year. The confirmed that there would be a color, Liquavista Kindle years ago. Since none of their stories mentions the source, you never know whether it came from someone who knows Kobo's (or Kindle's) business or a homeless man muttering on the corner. So when can you trust their stories and when should you decide it's nonsense?

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-07-2019 at 12:24 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #25
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And if the company has not released a street date or any information at all? If someone, say on Mobileread, mentions having heard a rumour that a new device will be released in the near future? So either I use my imagination to write some click bait or I don't bother to attribute the source of my information while doing a word for word quote?

Who cares if they heard a rumour and report on it. Pretty much EVERYTHING concerning media and product release should be considered rumor until the actual street date is widely distributed and the actual content is being sold. I get where everyone is coming from here. If they have actually plagerized shame in them. I have gone to their YouTube channel and despite the issues here people have with them, they actually do reviews of stuff that most people do not see. But again I'm still surprised that anyone would bother even spending so much time on reviewing this stuff. I just don't think the market is there any more....
Old 01-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But again I'm still surprised that anyone would bother even spending so much time on reviewing this stuff. I just don't think the market is there any more....
So you're surprised that a site dedicated to a niche hobby (ebooks) would discuss another (apparently quite popular site) dedicated to news about that same hobby that regularly gets things wrong?

Do you not understand human nature?
Old 01-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #27
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So you're surprised that a site dedicated to a niche hobby (ebooks) would discuss another (apparently quite popular site) dedicated to news about that same hobby that regularly gets things wrong?

Do you not understand human nature?
How do you know this is wrong?? They have been right as well. But Everytime these guys release something or even a video there is a ton of unwarranted bashing. I personally think they have good reviews. They actually do more reviews on more devices than I see elsewhere on YouTube. Sure they get things wrong but I dont see how constantly complaining about it here is constructive. Because apparently they are doing something right. They do have their followers. Jesus they aren't the devil just because they have given dates in past or device info that didn't pan out...lol....
Old 01-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #28
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
They aren't the devil (at least they exist), but they are thieves. And not just information thieves; look for their indiegogo campaign (there were a few threads on this forum).

And for an information site (which they pretend to be), getting things wrong even 10% of the time and not posting to admit it and correct - this is a very good sign of a very, very low quality site. Getting things wrong should be absolutely exceptional; getting things wrong and not admitting it should be unheard of.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #29
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
you are lucky - a bunch of people here have reported that their local B&N store no longer has a Nook kiosk
So sad.

How hard is it to make an ereader that people will want lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
How do you know this is wrong?? They have been right as well.
That's just it. You don't. Because they are not a source of reliable information. That's the whole point.

Quote:
But Everytime these guys release something or even a video there is a ton of unwarranted bashing.
I doubt that. You are overstating things to make your position seem more feasible than it actually is.

Quote:
I personally think they have good reviews. They actually do more reviews on more devices than I see elsewhere on YouTube. Sure they get things wrong but I dont see how constantly complaining about it here is constructive. Because apparently they are doing something right. They do have their followers. Jesus they aren't the devil just because they have given dates in past or device info that didn't pan out...lol....
Who said they are the devil? I've posted comments on their site and have watched their reviews. My biggest problem with their video reviews is that Michael tends to occasionally lapse into word salad where he is just unclear or flat out wrong or both.

As for this article, I posted it because about it here because it is not the first time they have posted that a new ereader is due out for Mother's Day. It's become something of a joke because they regularly predict some major change coming on the e-reader front by Mother's Day and they have been right in this info... zero times? Yet they keep right on predicting.