Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
The Kindle line... missing something?

Does the Kindle line seem incomplete now that they don't have something between the PaperWhite and the Oasis? (I.e., no Voyage.) Kobo has their low-end Aura 2, their lower-middle Clara, their upper-middle Libra and their high-end Forma. Tolino now has basically the same lineup (the Page 2 has slightly better hardware than the Aura 2) -- but they've had four readers in their lineup even before these latest models came out. Pocketbook has a whole slew of eReaders and Nook never did have a full lineup like the others. But something seems to be missing with Kindles.

I've got a feeling the answer is no, but do you think it's possible that Amazon will come out with a something comparable to the Libra? A "chopped down" Oasis? Personally I would rather they re-released the Voyage with a comfort light (and probably waterproofing), but I don't see that happening. Just curious if you "feel" that something is missing in the Kindle line.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:11 PM   #2
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Definitely.
I have a friend whose Paperwhite 3 is about to go and she really wants something like the Voyage. So that got me thinking that 3 devices is not a lot. Especially if you want a high end 6 inch device and for some reason don't like the paperwhite 4. There aren't any other options then if you want to stick with Kindle.

So while I'm happy with what they have, a new Voyage would definitely be appreciated.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2019, 01:48 AM   #3
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I definitely agree. It would be great if Amazon would come up with a ereader in between the PaperWhite and the Oasis. A Kindle Voyage with comfortlight would be perfect.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:57 AM   #4
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
While I love my Oasis 3, my perfect Kindle would be a Voyage 2 with comfort light, 32gb of storage and a 7 inch screen, but in the same format as the original Voyage, not wide like the Oasis 2/3.

However, I think we can be pretty sure there is next to zero chance of this, given that it is 5 years since the one and only Voyage came out.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It seems to me that Amazon is leaving money on the table with this decision. While the Paperwhite no longer goes on sale every month or so, it's very likely that it will be available for about $100 (or even less) in the near future. The pricetag of $150 to upgrade, i.e., 150% of the potential price of the Paperwhite) is going to be a reach too far for a lot of buyers, even those with the available funds. But perhaps they could be lured by splitting the difference, with a premium device for $175? Certainly Kobo seems to have had success with that strategy.

I suspect that Amazon is content to let the Paperwhite continue as a cash cow of sorts and doesn't want to invest in development only to cannibalize Paperwhite sales. Especially since there are presumably few new purchasers out there and none of them will be enticed to go higher than the basic or the Paperwhite.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'd sure buy a 5" phone shaped Kindle with a front light.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given the size of a lot of smart phones these days, I don't see a 5" Kindle selling all that well. Maybe back in the days of smaller phones, but not now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:37 PM   #8
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I would love to see a 7" Voyage come out, but doubt it's going to happen. If I had to replace my voyage now, I would probably go with an Oasis 3 or Kobo Forma... I am not a big fan of physical buttons - I really like the approach on the Voyage.
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Well I just bought another used voyage instead of either pw4 or Oasis, so they left at least one sale on the table.

Sent from my G6 using Tapatalk
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #10
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I would love a 6 inch oasis. Not like the original one, but like the current one. Same thing just 6 inch. I have the Oasis1 and love the form factor, but the inner battery is not viable enough on its own so I have to always keep the cover on. Which of course defeats the purpose of the nice shape.

So yeah, exact same features as O3, but in 6inch. Maybe they can't fit a large enough battery in?

I do like my O3, but it gets just a wee bit heavy after a while.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
In my opinion the main lack in Amazon is a 8" screen. And there is a great difference in price between Oasis (€ 249,99 with 8GB) and Libra (€ 179,99), and Forma costs only € 30 more than Oasis but has a 8" screen.

And I think that the main lack in Kobo is the entry level device: nothing like Kindle (€ 79,99); also if I think that a 167 ppi device is not something I could buy many people would like the low price.

Now here in Italy in Kobo site You could buy only Clara, Forma and Libra: no more Aura H2O Edition 2 and Aura Edition 2. I don't know if they will be dismissed or it is only a temporary situation.

But I also think that something like a Oasis without buttons and at a lower price could be interesting for many people.

Last edited by ps67; 11-10-2019 at 01:48 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
In my opinion the main lack in Amazon is a 8" screen. And there is a great difference in price between Oasis (€ 249,99 with 8GB) and Libra (€ 179,99), and Forma costs only € 30 more than Oasis but has a 8" screen.

And I think that the main lack in Kobo is the entry level device: nothing like Kindle (€ 79,99); also if I think that a 167 ppi device is not something I could buy many people would like the low price.

Now here in Italy in Kobo site You could buy only Clara, Forma and Libra: no more Aura H2O Edition 2 and Aura Edition 2. I don't know if they will be dismissed or it is only a temporary situation.

But I also think that something like a Oasis without buttons and at a lower price could be interesting for many people.
Kobo has an entry level Reader that blows away the Kindle Basic.

At Walmart, you can get Kobo Aura (Exclusive Walmart eBooks Edition) - 6" Carta E Ink touchscreen, customizable ComfortLight, Wi-Fi enabled for $69.96 (not including sales tax depending where you live).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Aura...bled/926485654
Quote:
Discover a simple and natural eReading experience with Kobo Aura. Anti-glare 6" Carta E Ink touchscreen, 1024 x 768 resolution Built-in, fully adjustable ComfortLight Customization & ability to choose from 11 different font types and over 40 sizes Get weeks of battery life on a single charge* 4 GB of on-board memory for carrying up to 3,000 eBooks *Dependent on individual usage * Anti-glare 6" Carta E Ink touchscreen, 1024 x 768 resolution (212ppi) * Built-in, fully adjustable ComfortLight * Customization & ability to choose from 11 different font types and over 40 sizes * Battery life up to 2 months * 4 GB of on-board memory for carrying up to 3,000 eBooks * Instant access to Kobo's eBookstore through built-in Wi Fi
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I do not see Clara as a low-end device. Its a pretty nice ereader much better than the kindle basic and even better than the paperwhite in quality, clarity and has the comfort light. Both the H2O Edition 2 and the Clara HD is better than Amazons Basic and paperwhite. Just my opinion.

Back on topic: I think they need to get rid of the kindle Basic. I purchased one for the heck of it and I find it rather awful. It goes to sleep while I am using it and drives me nuts. The paperwhite should be entry-level, make Oasis midlevel and come out with an 8" high-end device. The whole line needs an overhaul. I think the oasis needs redesigned especially since other companies are copying the design now.

off topic but I want Apple to make an eink ereader. I bet it will be a beauty if they did
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:21 AM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I think the oasis needs redesigned especially since other companies are copying the design now.

How is that a good reason to change the design? Just means that the design is good enough for others to copy. The one way I would like the design improved, though, is by moving the hump from the side to the back. And then have the buttons on the back to press with your fingers instead of having to use the thumb.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:13 AM   #15
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
While I love my Oasis 3, my perfect Kindle would be a Voyage 2 with comfort light, 32gb of storage and a 7 inch screen, but in the same format as the original Voyage, not wide like the Oasis 2/3.
This is the device I would buy day one (like I used to with Kindles until they became compromises between usability and Amazon's fantasy of innovation)!
(I wouldn't even need the 32GBs, although I'd probably get them going for the 4G version)
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote