Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2019, 11:30 PM   #1096
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart1981 View Post
Strange problem with my KA1 running firmware version 4.12.12111

The battery drains incredibly fast since the last two days.
Yesterday I wanted to read and when opening the cover the ereader battery level was at 1%. Also the time was changed (always complete hours). I disabled the automatic sleep and wake function thinking that might have caused the drain.

I charged the battery, and today the exact same thing happened. I wanted to start reading, but again the battery was at 1% and the time had changed (8h time difference). Again I charged the eReader. Charged it till 43% and started reading again. After about 15-30 minutes reading the tablet put itself to sleep. I woke it up again and I saw the battery was dropped to 32% and the time had changed again.

What's going on here? First I thought it was the heat, but the last time it happened I was reading in the shadow. Wifi is off, brightness is set manually to 2% and natural light is disabled.

Doing a factory reset is no option at the time because then I'll loose the books on the eReader and for the upcoming days there is no way for me to add the books to the eReader again. Firmware can't be updated because I can't connect the eReader to the wifi where I am atm.
I've had two sudden battery drains plus clock changing on my Aura ONE recently. But, for me the drain happened when it should have been sleeping. And I only noticed the clock changed because some books sorted in the wrong place. The clock was automatically corrected when it connected to WiFi, so I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

I have been tracking this since then and it hasn't happened again. Battery life has been fine, but I have been tending to read on my Clara HD.

If you get back and want to try a factory reset, you can copy the contents of the book partition and then put them back afterwards. That saves your books and reading positions and lets you see if it is something happening at the firmware level.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:46 AM   #1097
Bart1981
Bart1981 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that you are not on the latest firmware, I suggest you try 4.13.12638 before calling Kobo.
I agree. Unfortunately I'm not able to get the kobo on a wifi connection here. I'll try back home. But still, to me it seems strange this all of a sudden happens from one day to another.

Atm the ereader won't even last 5 hours of which 1,5h reading. Very, VERY inconvenient when being on a holiday Back home there was nothing wrong with the eReader. It looks like the warmth makes it even worse. It can last the night but during the day the battery drains like crazy (about 25 degrees celcius in the shadow). But normally this shouldn't be an issue for an eReader.

Last edited by Bart1981; 04-22-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Bart1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #1098
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Unfortunately I'm not able to get the kobo on a wifi connection here.
Is your wifi enabled or disabled?
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #1099
Bart1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Is your wifi enabled or disabled?
All the time disabled. Besides from the moments when I'm trying to connect to the wifi ofcourse.

Last edited by Bart1981; 04-22-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #1100
Bart1981

Problem solved. A complete reboot (stupid of me not thinking of that before) instead of only putting the ereader to sleep, solved the problem
Advert
Old 04-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #1101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Problem solved. A complete reboot (stupid of me not thinking of that before) instead of only putting the ereader to sleep, solved the problem
You do not have to sync to get the newest firmware. You just have to download it and you can manually update the firmware. The problem with syncingto get the new firmware is you could end up with books on your Reader you don't want. I've only once gotten a new firmware via WiFi and that was when I was setting up my H2O. After that it's been manually downloaded. That way, I can install the firmware and then the patches after that.

I'll be doing a firmware update once I figure out the new patch system.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:16 AM   #1102
Bart1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You do not have to sync to get the newest firmware. You just have to download it and you can manually update the firmware. The problem with syncingto get the new firmware is you could end up with books on your Reader you don't want. I've only once gotten a new firmware via WiFi and that was when I was setting up my H2O. After that it's been manually downloaded. That way, I can install the firmware and then the patches after that.

I'll be doing a firmware update once I figure out the new patch system.
I know, but there was no way to download the firmware. No computer or laptop available a.t.m. Also the ereader could not connect to the wifi here in the hotel because somehow it couldn't get past the wifi login screen
Old 05-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #1103
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Here’s an obscure bug I’ve noticed in the last few firmwares (that is, it’s been around long enough that I don’t remember when it started showing up). In this particular case, I’m using a first-gen H2O with the 12638 firmware.

Search for a hyphenated word in the English dictionary, either directly or through highlighting one. Just now, I punched “mixed-up” into the dictionary search field. The eligible match displays as “mixedup” - matching the entered hyphen, but not displaying it. Hitting Go yields a message that “mixed-up” wasn’t found, the closest match was “mixedup,” and here’s that definition. Same for “mixed-use,” “long-term,” and any other valid hyphenated word I’ve encountered.

I’m not sure whether this is an issue with the dictionary itself or the rendering method, but these results are clearly incorrect. The hyphen is part of the word, the unhyphenated version is not spelled correctly, and the dictionary feature should reflect that.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #1104
konomikitten
konomikitten began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Firmware: 4.14.12777

Bug: Opening up any cbz or epub would show the table of contents menu always.

Solution: Deleted .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf

Bug: Opening up table of contents menu and pressing the back button in any cbz causes an error then the device will eventually reboot.

Solution: None I can find.
konomikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #1105
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by konomikitten View Post

Sheeshh... deleting the Kobo eReader.conf file would not be a recommended procedure. Much of your setup information is found in that file.

Quote:
Bug: Opening up table of contents menu and pressing the back button in any cbz causes an error then the device will eventually reboot.

Solution: None I can find.
At this point, I would suggest either logging out of your Clara HD and then logging back in or doing a factory reset. It is quite possible that you had database corruption which was exposed when your Clara HD reset as part of the firmware install.

I have tested several cbz files with this firmware version and am not able to reproduce your issue. I've attached a sample file to this message which will need to be renamed from .cbz.zip to .cbz (the forum software does not allow cbz file uploads).
Attached Files
File Type: zip AlmaTademaPortfolio.cbz.zip (13.91 MB, 210 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 05-07-2019 at 03:56 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #1106
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

You didn't happen to keep a copy of the deleted file? I can't think of anything in the config file that has an affect on the ToC (Table of Contents).

And for the record, I am not completely sure what you are saying is wrong. Was the ToC button missing from the bottom bar when you opened the book? Or did the ToC not open when you tapped that button?
Quote:
What back button? There is no back button on the ToC screen. You can get a "Previous location" link in the bottom, but, that always seems to work for me.

A little bit of playing, and I don't think you mean the ToC at all. The ToC button is the one that looks sort of like a list. I think you mean the navigation button (looks like "<->") and the navigation bar. If I am reading a CBZ, and open the navigation bar, tap the back button on the extreme right of that, the message "Oops! This document couldn't be opened." And then a minute later the device reboots. The reboot looks like a sickel type reboot due to nickel hanging.

That also changes what I thought you might have meant by the first problem. But, again, I don't think I have ever seen the navigation button missing.

Have you reported the problem to Kobo? If not, they won't know it exists or that it is considered important to fix.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:55 AM   #1107
konomikitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You didn't happen to keep a copy of the deleted file? I can't think of anything in the config file that has an affect on the ToC (Table of Contents).
Sorry I didn't save the file I should be clear it was also the Navigation bar as you guessed below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
A little bit of playing, and I don't think you mean the ToC at all. The ToC button is the one that looks sort of like a list. I think you mean the navigation button (looks like "<->") and the navigation bar. If I am reading a CBZ, and open the navigation bar, tap the back button on the extreme right of that, the message "Oops! This document couldn't be opened." And then a minute later the device reboots. The reboot looks like a sickel type reboot due to nickel hanging.
Yep that's what I meant, nice to have someone confirm it for me.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #1108
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Sorry I didn't save the file I should be clear it was also the Navigation bar as you guessed below.

Yep that's what I meant, nice to have someone confirm it for me.
Also happened here once I stopped to look for a back button on the right -- I was using the x on the ToC menu. DOH! Hopefully, Kobo will fix this issue fairly shortly.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #1109
konomikitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Also happened here once I stopped to look for a back button on the right -- I was using the x on the ToC menu. DOH! Hopefully, Kobo will fix this issue fairly shortly.
Thank you for also confirming, I'll read the Kobo manual next time I try to "articulate" what controls I am using.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #1110
Dfaure
Enthusiast
Dfaure began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Aura HD, Cybook Muse
I don't know if this has already been reported but once updated to firmware v4.13.12638, I had the following bug with backlight on my Aura HD:

I'm used to read all the time with 1% backlight and when fed up with the book, I'm usually closing the kobo's cover and letting it go from stand by to power off on its own (stand by after 15 mn, power off after 1 hour).

When getting back to reading, turning it on was leading me to the home screen with the backlight in the previous state. With this firmware's version, the Kobo software is now displaying the backlight activated icon when started up as expected, but the light is still off. I had to physically turn it twice with the light button to have it resynched.

I hope the next version will correct the issue.
Dfaure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app