Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #196
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
BookDesigner is extremely annoying at times. I just had a crash after trying to make an .lrf and when I restarted the program it reverted to an earlier version from the one I had saved. I used both the save icon and the convert to BookDesigner format and it still reverted to an earlier version for no apparent reason.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #197
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It doesn't really "save" until you exit the program. Get into the habit of regularly exiting and going back in.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #198
herbdb
herbdb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Help me understand what you are trying to do with this program. Why LRF format? I do not see any advantage over pdf, or rtf format. You are using Word as a stepping stone to convert htm to rtf so you can work with a difficult program to convert to lrf. I don't understand, why not just leave it in rtf or use windows to convert to pdf? The reader doesn't care.
herbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #199
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbdb View Post
Help me understand what you are trying to do with this program. Why LRF format? I do not see any advantage over pdf, or rtf format. You are using Word as a stepping stone to convert htm to rtf so you can work with a difficult program to convert to lrf. I don't understand, why not just leave it in rtf or use windows to convert to pdf? The reader doesn't care.
LRF is the best format for the PRS series of readers. EPUB is good but not fully justified and has a weird page numbering issue. PDF is not an ebook format.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #200
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
LRF is the best format for the PRS series of readers. EPUB is good but not fully justified and has a weird page numbering issue. PDF is not an ebook format.
I second that.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #201
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
I have to somewhat disagree. ePub is better then LRF and any device with ADE is going to have the page number on the right. It's very easy to read the words that are under the page number.

As for PDF I fully agree unless the PDF is made for the screen size and has no silly margins (like no margins).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #202
herbdb
herbdb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
A MS word file saved in pdf format has no margins, and readily resizes on a PRS-700.
herbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #203
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbdb View Post
LRF allows relfowing text, tables of contents. linked footnotes and images. It takes me a few minutes to convert a well-formatted Doc or RTF into LRF and add a cover image and automatic TOC. What's not to like?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #204
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've been using BD for awhile now and I think it works great for the most part. Previously, I've been making .html files witht he use of BD with disregard to font styles like italics and bold face types.

However, I'm finding myself wanting to keep the styles intact and I was wondering if BD is able to do that? I imported a PDF file and it seems like BD looses all the bold and italic face types after the import. Is there any settings that I can play with so that it keeps those?

If it's a problem related to PDF files, would BD retain italics and bold face type of I was to import from anther format like .doc or .lit files?

Thanks
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #205
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post

If it's a problem related to PDF files, would BD retain italics and bold face type of I was to import from anther format like .doc or .lit files?

Thanks
It is a PDF related problem. BD has a very basic converter for pdf that doesn't retain formatting such as bold or italics. However, if you import anything else, such as doc, rtf, lit or html, it will keep all the necessary formatting.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #206
corroonb
Addict

I've found a rather weird bug in BD that I think it would be worthwhile to share even though the developer probably is never going to update the program.

When making links from superscript numbers, I've noticed BD sometimes adds an extra pair of superscript tags. It seems to happen when I remove the links in the Note and Link Tool and then go back and relink the superscript number. The superscript got bigger and bigger and even a double superscript has a bad effect on the text by widening the gap between lines. I checked the html and it had added more superscript tags each time I linked the superscript number.

This is an example:

Code:
<SUP>
<SUP>
<A href="#uBmk_676750">
<SUP>10
</SUP>
</A>
</SUP>
</SUP>
</DIV>

Last edited by corroonb; 09-02-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #207
ebookfab
ebookfab began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS505, Sony 650, Sony PRS T1
Book Designer removes all pictures or graphics

I have installed Book Designer 4.0 and the 7/30/2007 update as per the instructions. Installed it to its own folder directly on the root of the C drive and not in Program Files. My operating system is Vista Home Premium (64-bit). When I load an HTML book file all my pictures and graphics are there and visible. When I make a Sony eBook (LRF) with the file, all pictures and graphics have been removed but there is no "error message". (I have another PC with 32-bit Vista installed and it works fine.)

Anyone have any suggestions to help me on the 64-bit Vista PC?
Thanks in advance.
Fred
ebookfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #208
PDowns
Enthusiast
PDowns doesn't litterPDowns doesn't litter

Device: (jetBook)lost in mail;(Kobo;ipod touch;Samsung S
Everything he said but for a jetBook please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Let me start off by giving a quick rundown.
I really don't know where to start please help!
Thank you.
PDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #209
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
These may help:

HarryT's famous Book Designer tutorial:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313

My Book Designer Hints and Tips:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36908

Book Designer and Vista:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10805

Our Wiki entry on Book Designer:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #210
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I have a quick question. I've recently moved to a Core2Quad machine running Windows Vista Home Premium (with all the SP updates) and BD simply DOESN'T like opening .doc, .rtf, .html files on it. Is there some directory where I need to put the files to get it to recognize them properly? It worked fine under WinXP.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner