Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2018, 05:58 AM   #1
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Update 5.10.1.1 cleared all my books

Hi there,

My Oasis 2 updated to Firmware update 5.10.1.1 automatically overnight.

When I turned it on this morning i had a note to say that the home screen experience has changed with an option to find out more, that's what alerted me to the update.

However, all my downloaded content has been wiped. All of it, including any Collections i has marked as 'starred' to see them on the Downloaded pages.

Has this happened to anyone else? It's not s huge deal since all the documents are in the cloud and I can download them again, but it is a pain to do.

I've not heard of this happening to anyone else.

R
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Worked fine twice for me without losing any books. One Oasis 2 had the new homescreen turned on long enough for me to find how to disable it again. The other I never allowed to turn new home screen on. Both were updated manually.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
All previous ones have worked fine for me too, whether I've applied manually or waited for an OTA
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have always just downloaded the new updates and did the updates manually. I have not seen an issue where any of my books are no longer on my kindle
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
All previous ones have worked fine for me too, whether I've applied manually or waited for an OTA
I was talking specifically about 5.10.1.1, which caused you problems and me it didn't. All previous ones have not deleted any books either for me.
Advert
Old 10-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I've never heard of it either. It sounds like some kind of corruption or bug in the update process. It might be worth getting in touch with Kindle support and letting them know it happened. They might have seen it before and your specific experience could help them to trace out the reason (or bug).

Are you able to successfully reload everything, including collections?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I was talking specifically about 5.10.1.1, which caused you problems and me it didn't. All previous ones have not deleted any books either for me.
I've never really understood the point of posting the "it worked for me" messages. How does that change the fact that it didn't work for someone else? It seems to imply that "it's their fault, they obviously did something wrong."
Old 10-31-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've never really understood the point of posting the "it worked for me" messages. How does that change the fact that it didn't work for someone else? It seems to imply that "it's their fault, they obviously did something wrong."
To me, the point is saying it's not an overall problem. Either is something to specific computer configurations (if it's not just the user with the problem, for example) or it something specific to the user's gadget.

Also, if mostly the folks who post say "it didn't happen to me", it helps other users to decide whether it's likely to be safe if they install the update themselves.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:00 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Also, if mostly the folks who post say "it didn't happen to me", it helps other users to decide whether it's likely to be safe if they install the update themselves.
Okay, I'm guessing I'm looking at it wrong. I'm pretty sure the original poster already knew that this wasn't a common occurrence, however.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:24 PM   #10
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
It does no such thing. But, if an update goes out and one person has a problem that no one else has then the assumption would be the problem is somewhere other than the update.

I had a problem with only half my books in the cloud appearing on my Kindle when I asked to see all. It took three days and working with a specific person at Kindle to get the problem solved. It was at the server end and not a problem with my three Paperwhites.

I'll add my name to the list since none of my three Paperwhites had a problem with that update.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:42 PM   #11
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
There is a difference in how it updated. If the problem only happens with automatic updates, and nobody else let it auto update, that might still be an indicator to a common problem with the automatic update. But not necessary common here on MR if the majority always manually update.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #12
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
Quote:
Hi there,

My Oasis 2 updated to Firmware update 5.10.1.1 automatically overnight.

When I turned it on this morning i had a note to say that the home screen experience has changed with an option to find out more, that's what alerted me to the update.

However, all my downloaded content has been wiped. All of it, including any Collections i has marked as 'starred' to see them on the Downloaded pages.

Has this happened to anyone else? It's not s huge deal since all the documents are in the cloud and I can download them again, but it is a pain to do.

R
It happen to my PW 2nd, but after force restart, push the button and hold until see retsart option, items is back.
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #13
tunnel bore
tunnel bore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've got a similar but slightly different problem following an automatic upgrade to 5.10.1.1 on a Paperwhite. My download books refund to open and the error message advised deleting them and re-downloading ("An error occurred. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from the Cloud."). I did, it didn't help. I tried tried copying across a PDF via a USB link that won't open either. I've tried a hard-restart and a reset; neither worked. I've tried purchasing a new book and that queues for download, re-queues and re-downloads repeatedly. Yet to find a solution that will let me open anything. I appear to have a paperwhite brick.
tunnel bore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #14
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel bore View Post
I've got a similar but slightly different problem following an automatic upgrade to 5.10.1.1 on a Paperwhite. My download books refund to open and the error message advised deleting them and re-downloading ("An error occurred. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from the Cloud."). I did, it didn't help. I tried tried copying across a PDF via a USB link that won't open either. I've tried a hard-restart and a reset; neither worked. I've tried purchasing a new book and that queues for download, re-queues and re-downloads repeatedly. Yet to find a solution that will let me open anything. I appear to have a paperwhite brick.
Have you tried calling Amazon? You say that you tried a reset, was that a factory reset, or just a restart from the menu? If you didn't have to set up your Kindle (choose language, register with your account, etc) then you didn't do a factory reset.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #15
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel bore View Post
I am curious as I have a similar issues with my Oasis2. For me its when I try to open any doc, sideloaded book or file, my kindles goes haywire. It gets stuck for a bit and then I get that same popup. But its what happens after that that is weird. Once I try that with a doc, doesn't work so I go back to my home. When I then try to download anything from the cloud, kindle purchased books, samples it says downloading and complete, but they aren't actually there. They just will not download. The only thing that fixes it is a restart. I even did a complete factory reset on it and it didn't fix that issue. So for now I cannot open any docs on my Oasis. Thankfully I have other kindles that I can get my recipes on. The Voyage and basic with the same new update 5.10.1.1 does not have that issue.

I send feedback about this and also the issue with the books in the kindle store not showing any info other than the blurb on the Oasis. No reviews, no series info, no also boughts, etc. I send feedback from the device as they get a log that way. Settings, contact us, feedback.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote