Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #16
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
After you entered ## (not "xx" as stated by Divingduck) above each chapter heading, did you save the .txt file, then drag the .txt file into Calibre, and then convert it to .epub (with markdown chosen, as I said above)?
Yes. I did that.

Quote:
This will work to have the conversion process create a separate html file for each chapter or each section where you have ## at the top of each section. So, you must have done something wrong. Please read my instructions again, because it works.
It hasn't worked for me...

Now based on the Markdown syntax guide, instead of using ## to mark chapter breaks, maybe I'm supposed to use #title# or ##title## to mark the chapter headers? I can't find anything specific on chapters.

P.S. I *can* get Html file breaks with just ##, but I don't get any table of contents. I went through all the conversion options, and can't find "Generate ToC from Files." I tried "Force use of Auto-Generated Table of Contents," but it didn't do anything.

Last edited by MarjaE; 03-05-2018 at 09:50 AM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #17
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Then you did everything right, since you ended up with separate html files, which was the intended results of the first steps. To get the table of contents, you have to do the last step that was in my original post. The first two steps were to have separate files for each section that will later be listed in your table of contents.

Open the editor. Click on the ToC button. Click on Generate Toc from files. Then click on Ok at the bottom and exit the ToC plugin. You should now have a table of contents.

You might have to go to Preferences, Toolbars, and add the ToC (table of contents) button to your toolbar.

Adding ## to your text file won't generate the table of contents. You have to do the last step, so let me know if you still don't understand.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #18
Christopher Gray
Christopher Gray began at the beginning.

Device: SONY Reader Wi-Fi PRS-T2
This works for text formatted as per PeterT in message #11:
Code:
pandoc --from markdown --to epub --output=outputfile.epub inputfile.txt
Christopher Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:02 AM   #19
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
You have ## on the third line in the wizard, but that line is for the class name, such as, chapter. The ## symbols are to be entered into the .txt file for each section (before the .txt file is converted to .epub), and then the ## symbols will not be in the converted epub file.
This little example runs every night as part of my automated processes very well in a day to day process. You are telling me now it do not work. I am impressed. Assuming is often not the best advisor.

It is not up to me to argument if someone like / have to use it or not. My intension was to give @MarjaE a functional example (as one of more possible solutions, like the one from @PeterT) and not running into these kind of discussions.

I will now stop helping as it starts to be painful and a waste of time.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #20
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
This little example runs every night as part of my automated processes very well in a day to day process. You are telling me now it do not work. I am impressed. Assuming is often not the best advisor.

It is not up to me to argument if someone like / have to use it or not. My intension was to give @MarjaE a functional example (as one of more possible solutions, like the one from @PeterT) and not running into these kind of discussions.

I will now stop helping as it starts to be painful and a waste of time.
Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. I was mainly trying to say that your example might be confusing to the original poster, because it has nothing to do with the instructions I gave for how to create separate html files during conversion of a text file to an epub file, which will help her to create a table of contents by choosing the Generate ToC from files option using the ToC plugin.

I think you and I were talking about two separate functions, so I was concerned that your posts were confusing to her and didn't answer her original question.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, conversion, txt to epub, txt to mobi