Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #1
lagatha
lagatha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Reader
Post Conversion of ibook format to epub using Calibre

Hello,

I am new, so if I am posting in the wrong location, let me know. I did several searches looking for a detailed answer to my question, and did not find one, so if I missed an answer and am duplicating effort, please let me know.

On to my question:

First, let us skip the discussion of DRM and consider that issue resolved as my question is not about DRM at all. I have seen several discussions get sidetracked on the DRM issue, but that is not relevant in this situation (without going into detail).

I have a book with .ibook extension that I purchased from Apple. I would like to convert it to the epub format.

When I imported the .ibook to Calibre (v3.8), and tried to do a Conversion, I received the message that

"calibre, version 3.8.0
WARNING: Could not convert some books: Could not convert the book because no supported source format was found
Booktitlehere - No supported formats (Available formats: ibooks)"

Since the .ibook format is a package, and epub is a special kind of zip archive, I deduced the idea to change the filename extension from .ibook to .zip which changed how Calibre handled the package/archive.

I imported the same book with the .zip extension. I was then able to use Calibre to convert the book to epub format which worked.

All is well. But... the epub format of the book does not look good. There are lots of issues.

My question is this: is there a better way to convert from .ibook to epub format than what I have done which will give better results without extra effort?

I am aware that there are features which allow editing of a book, but since I will have several lengthy books to format, ideally a cleaner way to convert would be preferred.

I have spent a few days searching google and MobileReads, but have not found the answer to my question.

lagatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Change the extension from .ibook to .epub and see how it looks in the program you want to read it in. Apple sells ePub (sort of).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if this is a fixed format book?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You might also get better results if you rename the file for .ibook to .epub instead of .zip
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, convert, epub, ibook, zip