Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
aJuanJo
aJuanJo began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Anyone having issues with 0.8.5??

Hello,
I just saw new releases and jumped from v0.7.4 to v0.8.5, and it didn't finished opening...kept in background rolling and rolling, after several tries I found this Forum and got the "Sigil v0.8.5 VS2013/Qt5.4.0-OpenGL for XP SP3 or higher" that seemed to work right. But today fixing a book I got some crashes, loosing changes. After a while I tried "saving as" which worked... but it's not the way.

I haven't found a word about this issues, anywhere... anybody??

sorry, using W7

Last edited by aJuanJo; 04-02-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: clarifying
aJuanJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
More specifics please. What OS? Is this Xp? 32 or 64 bit? Have you tried removing the old settings file? Have you tried disabling your AV software to see if it has an issue? Many Windows bugs are related to broken copies of openssl dll installed on the system, and we have had other crashes seemingly fixed by updating their ati video/graphics driver, as Qt5 seems to be more graphicly intensive. Sigil 0.8.5 seems to be the most stable version of Sigil yet on Mac OS X.

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by aJuanJo View Post
Hello,
I just saw new releases and jumped from v0.7.4 to v0.8.5, and it didn't finished opening...kept in background rolling and rolling, after several tries I found this Forum and got the "Sigil v0.8.5 VS2013/Qt5.4.0-OpenGL for XP SP3 or higher" that seemed to work right. But today fixing a book I got some crashes, loosing changes. After a while I tried "saving as" which worked... but it's not the way.

I haven't found a word about this issues, anywhere... anybody??

sorry, using W7
You should run the Mainstream (Vista,W7,W8) release , not the special XP hack you listed.

FWIW I have used both the W7x64 and XP 8.5 (on their respective systems )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@KevinH

I always run (XP) Sigil with the preview pane open on an old 768x1024 VGA (mounted Portrait) connected to an Aluatek USB (VGA) Video adapter (obviously not a screaming performer )
Runs fine
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi theDucks,

That is good to hear!. I fired up my old Parallels Virtual Machine with Windows 7 32 bit on it. Downloaded and installed the official build and ran my torture test deleting lots of chapters from an epub randomly selected, repeatedly under all kinds of conditions and it was rock solid. No crashes of any kind.

So whatever the issue, I can *not* recreate it on Windows 7 32 bit or Mac OS X running the official builds from user-none's github releases page. You have had no issues with Windows 7 x64 and Xp.

So unless I am missing something, there must be something specific about their systems that is causing the problems or we just are not hitting the same trigger mechanism they are.

Thanks for testing it and reporting back.

KevinH
Advert
Old 04-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I admit I haven't given my newest Legacy build (0.8.5) a very hard workout since moving to a new VM with Visual Studio 13. It uses the Desktop OpenGL version of Qt5.4.0 instead of the Angle version (that the official Sigil package uses). So there could be some issues.

But as theducks said, with Windows 7, the OP should really be using the Official Sigil package anyway.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi DiapDealer,

I grabbed and installed your legacy build for Windows on my Parallels VM and I hammered on it deleting files left and right with no problems whatsoever. I did notice that the build number on the Microsoft C++ runtime redistributed library was different from the ones on the official build but this created no problems after restarting.

All in all, I can not recreate any of these crashes. I am not sure why or how they are being triggered.

KevinH
Old 04-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Good to know you didn't run into any problems. Not sure about the vcredist version. I'm just using whatever comes with VS2013 Community (Update 4). Perhaps user_none has something newer.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
aJuanJo
aJuanJo began at the beginning.

Device: sony
KevinH and DiapDealer, Tanks for your interest, you can close this post, because I finally found the other one that talks abbout crashes, that for now you you have been able to track.... anyway my OS is W7 ultimate... and for now you know I've been able to run the official 0.8.5 and now it works, (different PC) and has the same crashes issue
JuanJo
aJuanJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sigil crashes