Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-09-2017, 02:03 AM   #61
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
I'm using Sigil 0.91.
BTW, the current version is Sigil 0.9.8. If you update to that version the error message will go away.

I attached an updated version that should work with older versions to the first post.

Quote:
I didn't see the preferences GUI. How do I get that?
It'll be automatically displayed.

Quote:
Also there is no kindlegen.ini file anywhere. The old one was deleted when I uninstalled it, but no new one was created.
The current version no longer uses a kindlegen.ini file.

Last edited by Doitsu; 06-09-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:04 AM   #62
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
BTW, the current version is Sigil 0.9.8. If you update to that version the error message will go away.
Can't do that unless DiapDealer updates his XP build. Or I upgrade my Windows.

Quote:
I attached an updated version that should work with older versions to the first post.
It'll be automatically displayed.
Yes! It works. Thanks.

However, it gave me this non-fatal error:
Quote:
can't invoke "winfo" command: application has been destroyed
while executing
"winfo exists $w"
(procedure "ttk::entry::AutoScroll" line 3)
invoked from within
"ttk::entry::AutoScroll .41717104.41749392"
(in namespace inscope "::" script line 1)
invoked from within
"::namespace inscope :: {ttk::entry::AutoScroll .41717104.41749392}"
("uplevel" body line 1)
invoked from within
"uplevel #0 $Repeat(script)"
(procedure "ttk::Repeat" line 3)
invoked from within
"ttk::Repeat"
("after" script)
But after clicking "go ahead anyway" it did complete.

Quote:
The current version no longer uses a kindlegen.ini file.
Where does it keep its settings now?

I did a conversion and ticked the "thumbnail" option.
That made a file "thumbnail_EBOK_portrait.jpg"
which would be rather useless, since there is no link to the book.
So I tried adding the fake ASIN, then that made the files:

Obsidian_&_Blood_d9ddc69e3e95.azw3
thumbnail_d9ddc69e3e95_EBOK_portrait.jpg

Presumably the fake ASIN d9ddc69e3e95 is written into the azw3.

Perhaps these options should be linked in the settings.

Also, I received the warning
Quote:
Warning: The cover is too small: 396 x 600
I ignored that since I thought it looked fine at full screen and this is not anything I'm going to distribute.

But while the thumbnail was 217x330, in the Kindle's (PW-3, 5.8.9.2) grid display the thumbnail was 2/3 the size of others (which I had loaded using Calibre, but had 600x800 or larger cover images).

Do you know how the grid display size is determined?
I can resize the cover in the ePub but would prefer it if the thumbnail in the grid filled its slot.

Last edited by AlanHK; 06-09-2017 at 05:14 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2017, 07:33 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If your hardware supports it, upgrading your Windows is the best thing you can do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Can't do that unless DiapDealer updates his XP build.
I'd like to take a stab at that some day when I have more time. I don't like abandoning older systems if it can be avoided. A new, unofficial legacy build of v0.9.8 wouldn't be a herculean task by any means, but it would involve some work, and I can't guarantee it wouldn't have issues. Vista is very much "on the bubble" of joining XP in Legacy Land by the way (RE Sigil). Just know that these OSes are not being abandoned by Sigil simply because Microsoft has announced End of Support for them.

Look for a Sigil legacy thread for further development on that front. I don't want to hijack/derail Doitsu's plugin thread too badly, afterall.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-09-2017 at 08:52 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #65
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
However, it gave me this non-fatal error:
I'll look into this, but I'm not overly optimistic that I'll be able to fix it, because I don't have access to Windows XP machines.
I've attached a slightly modified version that might fix this issue.

Quote:
Where does it keep its settings now?
They're stored in ...\sigil\plugins_prefs\KindleGen\KindleGen.json. However, you won't need to edit this file since the plugin will automatically update it whenver you change plugin settings.

Quote:
So I tried adding the fake ASIN, then that made the files:
Obsidian_&_Blood_d9ddc69e3e95.azw3
thumbnail_d9ddc69e3e95_EBOK_portrait.jpg
Presumably the fake ASIN d9ddc69e3e95 is written into the azw3.
The thumbnail file always has the same fake ASIN number as the azw3 file. (Without an ASIN number the cover won't be displayed.)
BTW, you'll need to manually copy the cover image to the \system\thumbnails folder on the Kindle.

Quote:
Also, I received the warning
Code:
Warning: The cover is too small: 396 x 600
You can ignore this warning if you don't intend to publish books via Amazon KDP.

Quote:
Do you know how the grid display size is determined?
AFAIK, it depends on the screen resolution of the Kindle model. If you're not happy with the result, open plugin.py and change the following values:

Code:
               img.thumbnail((330, 330), Image.ANTIALIAS)
BTW, this plugin is primarily intended for ebook designers who upload books to Amazon KDP. Pretty much all other users are better off using Calibre instead.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleGen_v0.4.6.zip (16.5 KB, 435 views)
Advert
Old 06-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #66
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll look into this, but I'm not overly optimistic that I'll be able to fix it, because I don't have access to Windows XP machines.
I've attached a slightly modified version that might fix this issue.
Yep, it does. Thanks

Quote:
The thumbnail file always has the same fake ASIN number as the azw3 file. (Without an ASIN number the cover won't be displayed.)
BTW, you'll need to manually copy the cover image to the \system\thumbnails folder on the Kindle.
I know that. I was wondering how the ASIN was in the AZW file, so I unpacked it and found it in the OPF.
Can I put an ASIN in the epub OPF to set my own (fake or maybe real) ASIN?

Quote:
AFAIK, it depends on the screen resolution of the Kindle model. If you're not happy with the result, open plugin.py and change the following values:

Code:
Can you advise what these numbers mean? The size? But the thumbnails aren't square. The blank slots (for books with no thumb) are 1"x1.5" on my screen. Maybe this was written for PW1 & 2, with 220ppi. I have a PW3, 300 ppi, so that's 300x450 pixels.

I tried enlarging the thumb to 600x800 (externally) and loading it in the thumbnail folder. It just displayed at 1" =300 px wide. So it seems it reduces to fit, but not expands.

Quote:
BTW, this plugin is primarily intended for ebook designers who upload books to Amazon KDP. Pretty much all other users are better off using Calibre instead.
I do design ebooks, for some years, but just got an actual Kindle last week after using an emulator until now.

Anyway, I hate the way Calibre copies and renames all my books. Makes it a real pain to use if I'm editing them in Sigil to make adjustments. Much prefer to do it all in Sigil.

Last edited by AlanHK; 06-10-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #67
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I kjnow that. I was wondering how the ASIN was in the AZW file, so I unpacked it and found it in the OPF.
Can I put an ASIN in the epub OPF to set my own (fake or maybe real) ASIN?
You can define your own ASIN number using one of the two following metadata entry formats:

Code:
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="MOBI-ASIN">XXXXXXXXXX</dc:identifier>
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="AMAZON">XXXXXXXXXX</dc:identifier>
Quote:
Can you advise what these numbers mean? The size? But the thumbnails aren't square.
Unfortunately, I can't help you with that, I believe that I arrived at these values after some trial and error with my PW2. IIRC, both values need to be identical to maintain the aspect ratio.

BTW, if you also have a modern PC, you might want to give jhowell's Calibre KFX plugin a try.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:32 AM   #68
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't help you with that, I believe that I arrived at these values after some trial and error with my PW2. IIRC, both values need to be identical to maintain the aspect ratio.
Recap: the thumbnails on the PW "grid view" fit in 1x1.5".

Your code was:
That produced images 330 px high.
For PW1/2 @ 220 ppi, that gave a thumb of 1.5" high; filling the slot. But for PW3, 300 ppi, 1.1", only 3/4 size.

So for PW 3, change to (450,450) and you get full-size thumbs.
Which I tried and it does work.
Maybe you can add a GUI setting for this.
Or default to 450, since it seems the Kindle will downscale if the thumb is too large.

Odd that all the Kindle screens are 4:3 ratio, but the thumbnails are 3:2. So unless you are incredibly fussy and redesign the thumb, one or the other will have whitespace around.

Last edited by AlanHK; 06-10-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #69
AlanHK
Guru

A couple more thoughts:
I usually use the "maximum compression" setting; certainly if I'm going to publish it on Amazon. However, this can take a couple of minutes per book. kindlegen uses 99% of processor while doing this; and the PC is unresponsive. I can't even play Solitaire.

Could the priority be set at "idle"? That's what the video and audio encoders I use do; they take only marginally longer to complete (as long as I don't do something else intensive at the same time), and the PC is responsive

And I've set my own ASIN in the OPF, thanks. I make a 10 character mnemonic for the title, so which cover is which is obvious, and the old AZW is overwritten which is what I want rather than having to look at the timestamps to sort out which is the newest version.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #70
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Anyway, I hate the way Calibre copies and renames all my books. Makes it a real pain to use if I'm editing them in Sigil to make adjustments. Much prefer to do it all in Sigil.
Well, I guess you could just as easily use a Sigil plugin that converts the book via calibre's command-line `ebook-convert.exe` which doesn't rename or copy anything. That being said, if the only copy is in calibre then you can open the book in Sigil directly from calibre's Open With menu.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #71
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
A couple more thoughts:
I usually use the "maximum compression" setting; certainly if I'm going to publish it on Amazon. However, this can take a couple of minutes per book.
When I last tested this, the maximum compression switch reduced the file size only by an additional 10-20%. I.e., it's not really worth the wait, unless you compile a huge dictionary.

Quote:
Could the priority be set at "idle"?
Linux systems have a nice command that does this, however, since you have a Windows machine, you might want to check out third party tools such as Process Tamer (freeware).
Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #72
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
When I last tested this, the maximum compression switch reduced the file size only by an additional 10-20%. I.e., it's not really worth the wait, unless you compile a huge dictionary.
I don't mind waiting, if I can do something else in the meantime.

Quote:
Linux systems have a nice command that does this, however, since you have a Windows machine, you might want to check out third party tools such as Process Tamer (freeware).
I can set priority with Process Explorer which is what is telling me how much each process is using anyway. But I can only do that after the process has started, and when the system is virtually frozen by a high intensity process, it's difficult to switch to that. So, having it set on launch is preferable.

PS -- "Process Tamer" looks like it can react by itself; I'll give it a look. Thanks.

Last edited by AlanHK; 06-11-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #73
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
You can define your own ASIN number using one of the two following metadata entry formats:

Code:
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="MOBI-ASIN">XXXXXXXXXX</dc:identifier>
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="AMAZON">XXXXXXXXXX</dc:identifier>
In my EPUB3 books, EpubCheck complains about “opf:scheme”. May I request that lines of the form
Code:
<dc:identifier>urn:AMAZON:BXXXXXXXXX</dc:identifier>
also be identified this way? (Calibre already recognizes this version.)
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #74
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalomon View Post
In my EPUB3 books, EpubCheck complains about “opf:scheme”. May I request that lines of the form
Code:
<dc:identifier>urn:AMAZON:BXXXXXXXXX</dc:identifier>
also be identified this way? (Calibre already recognizes this version.)
I attached a new version that should recognize this version.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #75
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I attached a new version that should recognize this version.
Thank you!
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote