Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #136
Ki1P
Ki1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
I have a problem with certain PDFs that some of the books' pages show up completely empty or have missing lines. When viewing on Pc the books work normally, and I think all of the pages that don't work on Kobo are text-only i.e. without pictures or anything unusual.
Should I send the PDFs to someone for testing? This has been happening with older firmware versions too.
Ki1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #137
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I have been playing around with getting to know the epub-format, editing, fixing, testing, etc.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I have noticed that centering doesn't work (using Sigil to center the text).

<p style="text-align: center;"><a id="bookmark0"></a><span class="font19" style="font-weight:bold;">text</span></p>

The text get centered in all software viewers I have tried.

Last formatting bug I had was caused by the extended drive. To send the epub as is, is to unmark "Enable Extended Features" for the plugin the correct way?

(Aura, 2.5.2, calibre/extended driver)

(The most annoying bug I have found is for highlighting, everything from a certain point gets highlighted to the end of the chapter...)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #138
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I have noticed that centering doesn't work.
You can try setting justification to OFF in the AA-menu.

Quote:
(The most annoying bug I have found is for highlighting, everything from a certain point gets highlighted to the end of the chapter...)
If this is in kepub.epub files, try sending them as simple epubs. If you need to have the kepub.epub version you can try simplifying the structure (put every section referred to in the TOC in its own file; keep the main structure of the body simple by using mainly <p> and <h1-h6>, not tables and similar), before converting.

Last edited by tshering; 06-18-2013 at 07:20 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #139
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
You can try setting justification to OFF in the AA-menu.
Ah, that was it!
Thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #140
patrik
Guru

Regarding highlighting.

What I do is highlight a small piece of text, works fine. Then another, works fine, etc. But after a while something happens. When I do the highlighting the whole page gets highlighted. This is also true for all text until end of chapter (or probably more accurate end of current (x)html-file inside the epub).

Looking at annotations I see all my highlights _except_ the errornous one.

(I have only used kepubs so far.)

Any ideas?
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #141
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Regarding highlighting.

What I do is highlight a small piece of text, works fine. Then another, works fine, etc. But after a while something happens. When I do the highlighting the whole page gets highlighted. This is also true for all text until end of chapter (or probably more accurate end of current (x)html-file inside the epub).

Looking at annotations I see all my highlights _except_ the errornous one.

(I have only used kepubs so far.)
Does the highlight cross from the first sentence of a paragraph to the second? Or into the last sentence of the paragraph? If so, it's an error in the extended driver and I suppose a bug in kepub reader. The extended driver adds the spans and ids necessary for the kepub bookmarking. One of those is put in the wrong position for multiple sentence paragraphs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #142
Amaterasu88
Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
PDF and E-comic issue

This is my first time in this forum, sorry for my bad english.
I have a Kobo Glo and update it to 2.6.1 today, the problem with refresh in zoomed PDF an E-comic remains for me, but much less agressive than 2.5.1, while you hold the page to scroll, remains only one residual image. It disaperars after relese the screen, after the auto refresh.
Any one still having this problem?
Again, sorry for my english
Tks
Amaterasu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #143
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Sleep/Off screen

A bug from previous firmware versions is still around. The steps I've taken that replicate it on my Glo:

1. Start a book. (In my case, a sideloaded EPUB in internal memory.)
2. Power down. Observe the cover and progress stats.
3. Add some more sideloaded books to the library by connecting the Kobo to your computer and copying the files over. (I added 5 EPUBs - again, internal memory. Note that Calibre is not involved.)
4. Eject, disconnect, and let the Kobo detect the new books.
5. Use the Library menu to add the sideloaded books to the proper shelves.
6. Dismiss the newly-added tiles from the home screen.
7. Power down. Observe the lack of cover and stats.

Once I reopen the book, the cover appears as it should - but I shouldn't have to do that; my "last read" book shouldn't change until/unless I open a different book.

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 06-18-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #144
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
A bug from previous firmware versions is still around. The steps I've taken that replicate it on my Glo:

1. Start a book. (In my case, a sideloaded EPUB in internal memory.)
2. Power down. Observe the cover and progress stats.
3. Add some more sideloaded books to the library by connecting the Kobo to your computer and copying the files over. (I added 5 EPUBs - again, internal memory. Note that Calibre is not involved.)
4. Eject, disconnect, and let the Kobo detect the new books.
5. Use the Library menu to add the sideloaded books to the proper shelves.
6. Dismiss the newly-added tiles from the home screen.
7. Power down. Observe the lack of cover and stats.

Once I reopen the book, the cover appears as it should - but I shouldn't have to do that; my "last read" book shouldn't change until/unless I open a different book.
Sometimes when I sideload epub books to the Aura the last read book stays the same, sometimes it doesn't. 50/50 chance it seems.

Helen

PS When I sideload or delete books using calibre with the Aura the cover does not show when it is off until I open the book again. Used to happen on an earlier firmware, but on Aura just says Sleeping. which is better than loathsome square face Just started happening with 2.6.1

Last edited by speakingtohe; 06-18-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added PS
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #145
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
PS When I sideload or delete books using calibre with the Aura the cover does not show when it is off until I open the book again. Used to happen on an earlier firmware, but on Aura just says Sleeping.
That's the same behavior I'm reporting: the cover of the last-read book doesn't show after adding sideloaded books. I just don't bother with Calibre, which rules out the theory that this could be a Calibre bug rather than a Kobo firmware bug.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #146
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
That's the same behavior I'm reporting: the cover of the last-read book doesn't show after adding sideloaded books. I just don't bother with Calibre, which rules out the theory that this could be a Calibre bug rather than a Kobo firmware bug.
Can't say I care that much about that one the italicised sleeping looks almost classy, but glad I could confirm for you.

Helen.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #147
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Can't say I care that much about that one the italicised sleeping looks almost classy, but glad I could confirm for you.
By the same token, I don't care much about the "we gained 2mm at the top" discussion, but a bug's a bug...
Old 06-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #148
patrik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Does the highlight cross from the first sentence of a paragraph to the second? Or into the last sentence of the paragraph? If so, it's an error in the extended driver and I suppose a bug in kepub reader. The extended driver adds the spans and ids necessary for the kepub bookmarking. One of those is put in the wrong position for multiple sentence paragraphs.
Hmm, I'm not sure really. When I do the highlight it may or may not cross a paragraph. What happens is that it all suddenly looks highlighted.

Are the annotations/highlights for a book kept in Kobos own database? Shouldn't it be clean uped if a book is deleted? It doesn't. If I delete the book and then add it again, all annotations (including the errornous highlighting) is still there.

Also, it seems that after I disabled the exended driver, removed the book, and then added it and sent it to the device, it still looks like "kepub" with the features only in kepub.

Where can I read up on how Kobos database works?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #149
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You DID close calibre down and restart it after disabling the driver I hope? If not, it would have still sent as a kepub.

Also, i trust you DID disconnect the kobo and allow it to process the deletion of the book before re-sending it?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #150
patrik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You DID close calibre down and restart it after disabling the driver I hope? If not, it would have still sent as a kepub.
Nope, guess I will keep learning the hard way...
Quote:
Also, i trust you DID disconnect the kobo and allow it to process the deletion of the book before re-sending it?
Yes, that I did (several times actually, just to make sure).

Thank you very much for helping me out.

Tags
pocket app