Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #76
Asiorent
Asiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoramix View Post
Quick post:

Just recieved my Nova from AliExpress, decent price and quick delivery. Had to go to Youtube to figure out how to change language from Chinese. Google Play Store had to be enabled in settings AND download an app from the Onyx app store. After that it worked exactly once, enough for me to get a couple necessary apps in. The rest I've sideloaded through apkpure etc.

Everything else I've installed works fine (Librera, Moon+, Scribd, Libby + a couple local library apps) but some apps tend to forget login information or need several attempts to log in, and I think this might be the problem with Google Play Store as well.

Once you get apps running/books transferred, reading is fantastic and compares very well to the Kobo Aura One.

First impressions: Very good but needs a lot of software work.
Thanks a lot for posting your experience!

When you say Google Play Store worked only once, does it mean after restart was not functioning anymore? What happened for it to stop functioning?

When you say "it needs a lot of software work" do you mean it because you must install all apps manually?

Thanks again!
Asiorent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #77
panoramix
panoramix began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova, Kobo Aura One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiorent View Post
Thanks a lot for posting your experience!

When you say Google Play Store worked only once, does it mean after restart was not functioning anymore? What happened for it to stop functioning?

When you say "it needs a lot of software work" do you mean it because you must install all apps manually?

Thanks again!
It worked once after I ran the patch app, restarted and then logged in. The next time I tried to start Play Store it guided me through the login procedure again and then died without an error message.

By "needs a lot of software work" I mean Onyx need to fix the bugs in their firmware.
panoramix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #78
Asiorent
Asiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoramix View Post
It worked once after I ran the patch app, restarted and then logged in. The next time I tried to start Play Store it guided me through the login procedure again and then died without an error message.

By "needs a lot of software work" I mean Onyx need to fix the bugs in their firmware.
Thanks for the reply .
Asiorent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #79
aigojenjang
aigojenjang began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note, Kobo Aura One
Thanks for the post Panoramix.

May I ask

1. How is moon+ app performance? Speedy, normal or lag?
2. How is the front light? Any variations in light evenness front real estate?
3. Front screen off set... Does it bother you? Does screen protector fit flush against offset?
4. On their spec sheet, they describe unit having back button. I can't see it on pictures. Is there a hard back button or is it capacitive?
5. Have you tried NYT or washing POST app? Is it possible for you to test and let me know how it performs? (Kindle app as well).
6. Let me know how is battery life after some use..

I ordered Boox Note 10.3 for taking notes and reading PDF but its kind of too big to be used on Subway. I am trying to buy a 8" reader for reading newspaper, epub and kindle as a daily driver on subway... I am using tab s2 8" and I kind of like the size of 8" tablets. I am torn between KB1 & Nova.

Your help and feedback would be highly appreciative!!! Thanks in Advance...
aigojenjang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #80
Libretom
Libretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofrobot View Post
Is it using the new 2.0 version of the firmware out of the box?

I know you just got it, but what are your first impressions regarding battery life? I returned my Mars because the battery life was pretty awful.
First impressions:
Battery life : approx. use for 25-30 minutes - approx. 3-4 % dive, (no WiFi)
llumination: in homogeneous, warm and cool shades, als,
Light setting: imaginative, works well
Reaction time: very good,
Paging time: approx. 0.5 to 0.7 seconds, (about as Kobo)
Version: 2018-10-23 11-55 2.0 10f3717
Settings: Everything Works ("PARAGRAPH" Setup Does Not Work)
Android apps: "You need to register the GSF ID ( Google Services Framework Android ID ) of your device in your Google Account." (https://ereader.store/en/store/onyx-boox-nova-42.html),
Kindle app: (You need to download) slow but works well (downloading, reading)
WiFi: pretty weak, slow download, stutters.
PDF treatment: very good! (tiny fonts, but super contrast, easy to read) The settings will be retained after closing.

(I apologize for my English knowledge )

Last edited by Libretom; 11-21-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Libretom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #81
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libretom View Post

(I apologize for my English knowledge )
You needn't. You write better than some fellow native English speakers I have known.

BTW, thanks for the informative post. Looking forward to when the Nova Plus eventually comes out.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #82
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Mine also says 11/26. I ran the tracking number on the DHL site, and the first thing that came up was my Nova arriving in California on Saturday. My arrival time then switched to the 26th.

We shall see!
Please let us know how the Frontlight compares to the Likebook Mars and Kobo when yours arrives. Haven't been impressed with the orange light on the Likebook Mars thus far.
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #83
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by trence View Post
Please let us know how the Frontlight compares to the Likebook Mars and Kobo when yours arrives. Haven't been impressed with the orange light on the Likebook Mars thus far.
I haven't seen the Kobo's light, but I have a Likebook Mars. I'll see how they compare and let you know once my Nova arrives.

The Likebook had a few firmware glitches at first - some of which have been fixed by updates. Usually, Onyx firmware is better out of the gate. We shall see.

I bought the Nova partly out of curiosity, and partly because I like the idea of 32 gb of internal storage. I had the Boox Note, which was good - but I missed the frontlight. So, I sold my Note.

I find that I like the 7.8 inch size more and more. I pulled out an older 6 inch eReader and now it seems so tiny!

The Nook Glowlight 3 did a slightly better job (compared to the Likebook Mars) at the warm light effect - but I like any warm light compared with the more bluish light of my old Oasis!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #84
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
@downeaster: How did you sell it? I have a few items I'd like to sell but I'm not sure how to go about it.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #85
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnick View Post
@downeaster: How did you sell it? I have a few items I'd like to sell but I'm not sure how to go about it.
I put it on eBay. I ended up getting $380 for it. Not too bad.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:02 AM   #86
panoramix

Quote:
Originally Posted by aigojenjang View Post
Thanks for the post Panoramix.

May I ask

1. How is moon+ app performance? Speedy, normal or lag?
2. How is the front light? Any variations in light evenness front real estate?
3. Front screen off set... Does it bother you? Does screen protector fit flush against offset?
4. On their spec sheet, they describe unit having back button. I can't see it on pictures. Is there a hard back button or is it capacitive?
5. Have you tried NYT or washing POST app? Is it possible for you to test and let me know how it performs? (Kindle app as well).
6. Let me know how is battery life after some use..
1. Not used it too much so far, but seems very speedy.
2. I have no complaints, it's at least as good as the Kobo A1
3. Doesn't bother me. (I'm not sure I understand the second sentence here?)
4. It's there, it's a hard button and it's so unobtrusive I didn't notice it myself until I hit it with my finger.
5. Haven't tried them, I'll try later if I can sideload them.
6. Will do. So far looks great compared to the Kobo.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:05 AM   #87
panoramix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libretom View Post
WiFi: pretty weak, slow download, stutters.
Hmm, I haven't noticed this, but then again I haven't paid attention to downloads, just left them in the background.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:45 AM   #88
aigojenjang

Thanks - Panoramix - much appreciated -

2nd part of screen protector Q was - not sure exact size of screen protector. Assuming, it's slightly smaller or exact size of actual screen. Since screen sits slightly lower than bezel, and SP has small thickness, it will either sit flush or uneven or PERFECT... Just curious.... I am taking note SP put on next week. I am terribly at it... Store where I get my phone does that for me as service to keep me as their customer (lol)..... I will post result and feel afterward... I think it's the same SP that comes with Nova....
Old 11-22-2018, 04:48 AM   #89
aigojenjang

I bought my note at JD.com. Other day, it flashed a message asking me to try their Global site... So, I followed.... It took me to joybuy.com. I was looking for Nova and found Note 19.3 & + on flash sales - 399/409 USD. Price is discounted big time... Sale will last 2 days.

I am hoping Nova shows up on joybuy as well...... All vendors on JD.com are sold out...
Old 11-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #90
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Update: new system software (or firmware) released today, bugs fix and other small improvements.

WIFI signal sucks as before.
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote