Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 05:06 AM   #3346
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Last Day -- Sync Audio -- exp 14 Jun @ 7 AM ET
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #3347
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 14 Jun
Old 06-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #3348
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Podcasts about the Life, and Murder in Orlando, of Christina Grimmie.

Skinmaan, in post #3318, broached the matter of podcasts, apparently without any ill effects (I've been under the impression that we had to post things that could be downloaded, and I'm not sure that many podcasts can be downloaded, but only streamed). So, I'll venture to make this post.

The Orlando Sentinel newspaper has produced 5 episodes on Christina Grimmie, the rising singing star, who was gunned down in Orlando a couple of years ago. I remember the incident well, even though I didn't know who Christina was. The reason that I remember it is because that it was near the time of the bloodbath in the Orlando nightclub in which 59, I think that it was, people were killed.

Anyway, you can find links to the entire series at this Orlando Sentinel webpage. I notice that there is a lot more information about her, just below the information about the podcasts.

ADDENDUM: It appears that the podcasts are not downloadable from the Orlando Sentinel's webpage. However, there are links to Apple Podcasts and Google Play on that webpage; you might be able to download the podcasts from one or both of them.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-14-2018 at 12:42 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:32 AM   #3349
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Skinmaan, in post #3318, broached the matter of podcasts, apparently without any ill effects (I've been under the impression that we had to post things that could be downloaded, and I'm not sure that many podcasts can be downloaded, but only streamed). So, I'll venture to make this post.

The Orlando Sentinel newspaper has produced 5 episodes on Christina Grimmie, the rising singing star, who was gunned down in Orlando a couple of years ago. I remember the incident well, even though I didn't know who Christina was. The reason that I remember it is because that it was near the time of the bloodbath in the Orlando nightclub in which 59, I think that it was, people were killed.

Anyway, you can find links to the entire series at this Orlando Sentinel webpage. I notice that there is a lot more information about her, just below the information about the podcasts.

ADDENDUM: It appears that the podcasts are not downloadable from the Orlando Sentinel's webpage. However, there are links to Apple Podcasts and Google Play on that webpage; you might be able to download the podcasts from one or both of them.
Podcasts are generally downloadable. That's what they were originally intended for: Apple added them to iPods / iTunes for amateurs to make mass-consumable content. I believe this was in days well before YouTube, but it was much the same concept.

The Audible podcasts I listed are all available for download. The list I gave was from iTunes, which is why I didn't give direct links.
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:52 AM   #3350
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:

Thank you for posting this podcast.

FYI, in addition to what skinmaan pointed out (i.e., "Podcasts are generally downloadable. That's what they were originally intended for"), it's OK to post streaming media at MobileRead, so keep up the good work. For example, our esteemed and beloved tubemonkey regularly posts streaming-only Alexa rentals in the "Audiobooks" forum, and various members have posted streaming-only movie rentals in the "Media Deals (non-eBook/non-audiobook)" forum.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #3351
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. The info from both of you is good to know definitively.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #3352
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The most recent Penguin Random House TryAudiobooks.com freebie is now active.

It's the fictional (novel) _The Real Girl_, by Rena Olsen. PRH is promoting this audiobook for "fitness" use.

http://www.tryaudiobooks.com/fitness/#download.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-14-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #3353
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Finally got that book, The Real Girl to download. Thanks for the links.

Also, just a reminder that Audiobookstand is closing up July 31 and currently has a large number of titles for $6 each. I noticed a few more titles this morning. Free shipping. Already some titles have been sold off, so I wouldn't wait long if there is something you like. I splurged, but got everything I was tempted by. Be sure to use the FILTER to eliminate abridged versions of books (unless that is what you want).

Last edited by Tarana; 06-14-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #3354
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 14 Jun

Last edited by tubemonkey; 06-14-2018 at 10:25 PM. Reason: added Downpour deal
Old 06-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #3355
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Streaming only content is allowed at MobileRead in the appropriate forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Thank you for posting this podcast.

FYI, in addition to what skinmaan pointed out (i.e., "Podcasts are generally downloadable. That's what they were originally intended for"), it's OK to post streaming media at MobileRead, so keep up the good work. For example, our esteemed and beloved tubemonkey regularly posts streaming-only Alexa rentals in the "Audiobooks" forum, and various members have posted streaming-only movie rentals in the "Media Deals (non-eBook/non-audiobook)" forum.
Correct, and thanks for posting it
Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #3356
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Sync Audio -- Weekly Offers -- FAQs & Help -- exp 21 Jun @ 7 AM ET

Quote:
Week 8 -- The Juneteenth holiday is just the right time for the pair of audiobooks we offer this week. The last day to download the pair is Juneteenth itself, so you have seven days to be sure you have them, and even have time to get some listening done to give the date more meaning in your own life. The occasion of Juneteenth, dating from 1865, is a good time to celebrate both freedom and equal rights.
FREE -- My Name Is Not Friday -- Jon Walter/ D Graham --> 9.9 hrs --> fiction
Quote:
NOT available in UK or Ireland

A gorgeously written account of a freeborn black boy sold into slavery during the Civil War; think 12 Years a Slave for young adults. Well-mannered Samuel and his mischievous younger brother Joshua are free black boys living in an orphanage during the end of the Civil War. Samuel takes the blame for Joshua's latest prank, and the consequence is worse than he could ever imagine. He's taken from the orphanage to the South, given a new name--Friday--and sold into slavery. What follows is a heartbreaking but hopeful account of Samuel's journey from freedom to captivity, and back again.
FREE -- Come August, Come Freedom -- Gigi Amateau/ JD Jackson --> 5.0 hrs --> historical
Quote:
Born a slave in 1776, Gabriel grows up capable and literate only to be taken from his mother and sent to the capital city as a blacksmith’s apprentice. There in the forge, a meeting point for many travelers and news bearers, his work awakens him to the sparks of resistance that are igniting into rebellion around the globe. When he is unable to both defend the love of his life and earn the money to buy her freedom, and with the news of Toussaint’s successful rebellion against Haiti’s slave masters ringing in his ears, Gabriel makes a decision: freedom for just his own family would not be enough. Using the forge to turn pitchforks into swords and his eloquence to turn dreams into rallying cries, Gabriel plots a rebellion involving thousands of slaves, free blacks, poor whites, and Native Americans. To those excluded from the promise of the Revolution, Gabriel intends to bring liberty. Interwoven with authentic original documents, this poignant, illuminating novel about a major figure in African-American history gives a personal face to a remarkable moment in our past that is little known but should be long remembered.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 06-14-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:14 PM   #3357
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Streaming only content is allowed at MobileRead in the appropriate forums.
NOTE: After re-reading tubemonkey's and Froid's messages, consolidated in post #3355, I think that they answered the questions that I posed below.

It's not that the great tubemonkey is hard to understand; it is that some (well, one, at least) of his devoted followers are dense . . . .

Let's take the Grimme series of podcasts, for example . . . . it seems clear, now, that since it is downloadable, it could go into the "Audiobooks" subforum. That make sense to me, because there's little difference between a downloadable podcast and an audiobook.

However, let's suppose that the Grimme podcasts were not downloadable, but only streamable. Would the "Audiobooks" subforum, or the "Non-Fiction" subforum, be the "appropriate forum for the collection?"

In the first case, you would have items that are not really audiobooks; in the second case, you would have an awkward mixture of media on the same subject or topic.

Using the Grimme podcasts as an example, I suppose that someone could just create a separate thread, in the non-sticky area. It's not like people are trying to bust down the doors to post items like that, anyway . . . .

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, just wanting clarification.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-14-2018 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Note (addendum) at the beginning of the message.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #3358
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
It's not that the great tubemonkey is hard to understand; it is that some (well, one, at least) of his devoted followers are dense . . . .

Let's take the Grimme series of podcasts, for example . . . . it seems clear, now, that since it is downloadable, it could go into the "Audiobooks" subforum. That make sense to me, because there's little difference between a downloadable podcast and an audiobook.

However, let's suppose that the Grimme podcasts were not downloadable, but only streamable. Would the "Audiobooks" subforum, or the "Non-Fiction" subforum, be the "appropriate forum for the collection?"

In the first case, you would have items that are not really audiobooks; in the second case, you would have an awkward mixture of media on the same subject or topic.

Using the Grimme podcasts as an example, I suppose that someone could just create a separate thread, in the non-sticky area. It's not like people are trying to bust down the doors to post items like that . . . .

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, just wanting clarification.
It's the content that matters. Is it an audio version of something that might otherwise be called a "book?" The kind of thing that the typical audiobook listener might come looking for? Then OK.
Is the content more like a talk show or news magazine, or something else that no one looking for "audio books" is looking for? Then no.

The delivery format is less important.

How was that, TM?

Last edited by ApK; 06-14-2018 at 08:27 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #3359
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

For some reason, the Google Play option does not appear at a Chicago Tribune webpage about the series (I can navigate to the webpage, but when I insert the URL, and try to use it, I get an error page). Has anyone tried the Google Play option?

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-14-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:57 PM   #3360
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
It's the content that matters. Is it an audio version of something that might otherwise be called a "book?" The kind of thing that the typical audiobook listener might come looking for? Then OK.
Is the content more like a talk show or news magazine, or something else that no one looking for "audio books" is looking for? Then no.

The delivery format is less important.

How was that, TM?
Most excellent